Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-10-2012, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking to buy a Kubota KX-121

I'm thinking about a KX-121. with a hyd thumb and a angle blade. I'll probably buy used so I'll be looking for the best deal. I could get 0% on a new one but I might be inclined to overspend on other goodies for the machine.
I like this size and it has more pwer than a KX91.

I do swimming pool construction,trash and debris removal,grading and drainage.
I like the Kubota line. I own 3 other Kubota tractors-B-26,L-440,grand L 4240,plus a Takeuchi 140. I also have a pretty nice f-750 dump truck

Thoughts on this machine and what other accessories?
I'm in Raleigh NC,where we hardly have winter,hot as hell summers and this year a lot of rain.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david bailey View Post
I'm thinking about a KX-121. with a hyd thumb and a angle blade. I'll probably buy used so I'll be looking for the best deal. I could get 0% on a new one but I might be inclined to overspend on other goodies for the machine.
I like this size and it has more pwer than a KX91.

I do swimming pool construction,trash and debris removal,grading and drainage.
I like the Kubota line. I own 3 other Kubota tractors-B-26,L-440,grand L 4240,plus a Takeuchi 140. I also have a pretty nice f-750 dump truck

Thoughts on this machine and what other accessories?
I'm in Raleigh NC,where we hardly have winter,hot as hell summers and this year a lot of rain.
If your going used get a KX-161. The 121 has too much overhang and not enough reach.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

what about lift? I've heard the reason they phased out the 161 was to increase its lift. doesn't the 161 have as much overhang?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david bailey View Post
what about lift? I've heard the reason they phased out the 161 was to increase its lift. doesn't the 161 have as much overhang?
No, The 161 has less over hang from the side. It's replacement the 057 has a too much overhang like the 121. The 161 was an in between machine and was phased out for the new U55 which is a true ZTS. On lift not really sure what a 6 ton machine should lift but I have moved a bunch of rocks in the 3k range when building water gardens. You need a machine with little or no over hang unless you only work out in the open 100% of the time. There was a post about the KX057 earlier in the year and pictures where posted about the overhang and difference between it and the 161.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I own 3 kubota excavators (kx71,u55,and a u17) I wouldn't hesitate to buy another One whatsoever .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I see a helluva lot of 121's around here. People seem to like the size but most have larger machines too. The 161 is a big jump in size/weight but I like mine. Its a perfect all around size.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm looking at using this as an all around machine. Thats why I have been interested in the 121. It's a 9k machine and might be easier to use in a tight enviroment compared to the 161 or a U 45. You might havea different opinion tho so I'm all ears,er eyes in this case.

I have a B 26 with a backhoe so a smaller machine I have. I like the idea of the strength of the 10k-12k units but worry about being able to get into the job. I have the equipment and CDL for moving bigger toys so should I consider the U 45 or 161 or even a U 55?

Is a 55,161 that much stronger than a 121,U45? I'll probably use it a lot for stumps,clearing yard waste and construction debris and doing drainage. I might try to do some mowing with it too if I can develop that line of work with it. If I'm buying one I want to make sure I have plenty of options as to the type of work I can do with it. The reason I've looked at used is primarily the fact I don't load any of my equipment up with hours and the intial costs altho 0% financing is attractive.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I cant see your jobs so its hard to say whats best. Knowing what the right size is, is all about experience. but I find the reach to make it so I have to move around alot less which makes less impact than a smaller machine would.

heres mine inside a pool area.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

how do you like having a cab? My tak 140 has air/heat and so does my 4240 grand L. I lke the facrt it cuts down on the bugs and dust but does that apply to an excavator?

I'm gonna have to start uploading some pics of my jobsites
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The cab is pretty important for different reasons than the skid. With the mini you sit right on top of the motor and pumps which throw some serious heat. Of course without the cab that heat dicipates quickly. The A/C/heat is nice for me doing clearing work when its cold but you dont have to worry about that as much