Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
clean install. why an lx over an esp since only 8 zones? future additions?
Thanks, my boss got the customer to upgrade. We have a ICORE on a residential system with three zones, because he was able to sell it. Sometimes it depends on the size of the system . The ESP LX comes in an 8 station base. I forget how many an ESP comes with base, but sometimes by the time you add in the cost of expansion modules you could have had the fancy. IMO I don't understand how you could prewire a controller unless you had a splice box and the base of the controller and you attached conduit and ran the wire so all you had to do was splice in the box, but I don't like doing work twice, if I make a mistake.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohn2000 View Post
Thanks, my boss got the customer to upgrade. We have a ICORE on a residential system with three zones, because he was able to sell it. Sometimes it depends on the size of the system . The ESP LX comes in an 8 station base. I forget how many an ESP comes with base, but sometimes by the time you add in the cost of expansion modules you could have had the fancy. IMO I don't understand how you could prewire a controller unless you had a splice box and the base of the controller and you attached conduit and ran the wire so all you had to do was splice in the box, but I don't like doing work twice, if I make a mistake.
Yeah we ran some continuous wire runs for 600-700'. No way I am going to splice 1' from the controller. I have done enough irrigation repair to know that the least amount of connections... the better. And I am not a big fan of jamming wire nuts in a junction box, but thats just me.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah we ran some continuous wire runs for 600-700'. No way I am going to splice 1' from the controller. I have done enough irrigation repair to know that the least amount of connections... the better. And I am not a big fan of jamming wire nuts in a junction box, but thats just me.
a junction box with terminal strips of course, with spade terminals affixed to all the zone wires
Old 10-10-2012, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Just did a repair last week where they ran #14 for everything but the controller was an a utility room so they ran conduit with multi strand down through the slab and outside the room. and used water resistant connectors and buried them and then the hose bib leaks. Go figure the system was intermittent, not the first time ive seen it not the last time. DBRY's rule
Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
a junction box with terminal strips of course, with spade terminals affixed to all the zone wires
with 50 more connections and a junction box install its definately not a " few minutes" but I see what you are saying. To make anything nice and clean, it takes time, lots of time.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I still want to hear how you are going to install a 24 zone controller in a few minutes. Cat got your tongue?

A whole paragraph about how you don't have any work? and I am the one that needs night classes?
Sorry sis, had a visitor.

Who says i don't have any work? Wasn't me.

I am tired of schooling you. That is all this forum is to you, just a knowledge well. You obviously have limited practical experience so you pose a question on the forum and we all post our opinions (based on practical experience) and you become an "expert".
Now back to me being full of crap. You haven't a clue of what i know or what i mean and you didn't wire that LX or if you did don't take any real pride in craftmanship.

Well it's pushin 6 and i have to check water before going to work.

You have a good day, if you get a chance tell that fella that put the clock in to step it up a notch, there's no second chance for a first impression and the first thing a person sees when servicing a controller is his wiring job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Sorry sis, had a visitor.

Who says i don't have any work? Wasn't me.

I am tired of schooling you. That is all this forum is to you, just a knowledge well. You obviously have limited practical experience so you pose a question on the forum and we all post our opinions (based on practical experience) and you become an "expert".
Now back to me being full of crap. You haven't a clue of what i know or what i mean and you didn't wire that LX or if you did don't take any real pride in craftmanship.

Well it's pushin 6 and i have to check water before going to work.

You have a good day, if you get a chance tell that fella that put the clock in to step it up a notch, there's no second chance for a first impression and the first thing a person sees when servicing a controller is his wiring job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Uh we service what we sell. I will tell juan, uncle jim thinks he is a piece of crap.

I dont claim to be an expert like you do.... even though you are not capable of doing installations, you seem to be the vile resident expert.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

::waits for dad's inevitable RM pic::
Old 10-10-2012, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Given the likelihood of the controller becoming obsolete by the time it needs replacement, all the fancy work on the wiring done inside the case becomes a headache, when all the wires have to get pulled back out of the case, and installed in the new case.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Uh we service what we sell. I will tell juan, uncle jim thinks he is a piece of crap.
I don't lay blame on Juan, you're the one that does the pointing right? I might like to work with Juan, share some tips and techniques back and forth. I tend to learn something from everyone. The problem would be when he changed his views and outlook, we might bond and i might change my name to Juanidejim. Now that's funny!
Quote:
I dont claim to be an expert like you do.... even though you are not capable of doing installations, you seem to be the vile resident expert.
I don't make claims, i never placed myself in that small list of professionals that i strive to be more like. There wasn't enough time or space to acknowledge all of the true craftsmen on this site. Another thing is that i have never said i can't install, i said i don't. Why should i? I do enough work to keep me happy, love what i do and receive a great deal of satisfaction from my jobs. As far as the rest of your post goes, you are the only member of the forum that i have issue with and that is only because in your little world you are always right, welcome to the real world.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device