Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Stihl here...
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I pronounce Stihl as Still rather than like Steel, because I think what it does best is sit still.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They both are decent brands. I own a stihl chainsaw and a variety of husqavarna and echo handhelds. I maybe switching over to husky as my echo stuff needs replaced. My older SRM 210 is bullet proof. But I am not very impressed with my newer echo edger. Too hard to start, long warm up period and too much vibration.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl trimmers Vs Echo trimmers

I run mainly echo have a Stihl trimmer because it was a good deal when I started but when it goes out all echo for me
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 10-10-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm not a veteran in this business, but one thing I've learned very quickly is that your dealer matters in more ways than one. If you have two dealers in your town, and one sells Echo and the other sells Stihl, then go in and talk to them both about their models, repair history, the lawn industry, anything.... If one of them acts like they don't have the time of day, and the other stands there and answers your questions and is generally pleasant to talk to, then your choice is obvious. The guy who doesn't have the time to answer a few questions won't have time to fix your stuff either.

Do some research on local business websites and look for reviews on both dealers. Ask other LCOs about their preferred dealer. Again, if there's a stark difference in reputation, then your choice is clear.

I mention all of this because that's how it is where I live. We have two dealers. One of them is rude, takes forever to repair anything, won't greet you when you come in the door,etc. The other knew my name the second or third time I came in, answered every one of my dumb questions, didn't pressure me to buy it right then, and has been a great help to me. He happens to be the Echo dealer in town.

And here's my antecdotal bit of advice: go with Echo if you've got a good dealer. My dad's SRM 3100 is almost 20 years old and has seen heavy usage. Only one problem with carb adjustment about a year ago. I own all Echo, no problems. The dealer I use also helped start one of the biggest lawn care companies in this area and they logged down time on every machine they had. When they switched from Stihl to Echo, their down time was cut to a quarter of what it had been and stayed that way. So there's my two cents.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebrowns View Post
Which one is better? Trying to decide if echo line of trimmers/edgers/blowers are any better than stihls
I've got a Stihl FS-90R and an Echo SRM-2601 and SRM-3100. Both of the Echos are 15-16 years old, and still start up pretty reliably, but there can be periods of hard starting and what not, as with the Stihl (not even 1 year old yet). I think both brands are great but Echo has a greater range of power options than Stihl.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Forgot to mention that Echo has 5 year warranty + Echo allows online parts dealers, whereas Stihl prefers to keep the parts lists hidden and make you go to the dealer to get the parts.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

5 year warranty is not for commercial though is it?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Exho trimmer but the nearest dealer is like 20 miles from me. I want to get a Stihl and that dealer is literally a 5 minute drive from where I live. Ill use the Echo as a back up. Speaking of which, will those speed feed heads that you can get for Echo trimmers fit on the Stihl? Or is there a different one available for it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

neither.

go with husqvarna.

same thing with ford and chevy.

don't decide between 2 pieces of crap.

buy a toyota.