Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Across the street from one of our customers was hydro seeded 2 weeks ago. It came in so full and thick it is unbelievable. Just 2 weeks ago it was bare dirt and now it is a super thick lush full lawn. Temps been in the low 70's and owner has been watering.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bad lawn redo

Sorry to confuse you by including a second lawn. This second one has a green house and usually a blue pickup. The lawn was neglected although I cannot find the first "before" picture. In late August 2012 it was killed, tilled and seeded (not hydroseed). Soil is sandy, poor, and house has a primitive irrigation system, I think. Rains somewhat irregular.
lawn has a few green sprouts showing.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2012, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bad lawn redo

Sorry to confuse you by including a second lawn. This second one has a green house and usually a blue pickup. The lawn was neglected although I cannot find the first "before" picture. In late August 2012 it was killed, tilled and seeded (not hydroseed). Soil is sandy, poor, and house has a primitive irrigation system, I think. Rains somewhat irregular.
lawn has a few green sprouts showing.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bad lawn redo

Site will not let me post photos that have already appeared elsewhere. This second lawn at an olive green house (probably foreclosure) was sprayed with glyphosate about early August--good date for our area. The soil was worked up and raked smooth by about August 30. The first grass was visible on Sept 8 and early grass was visible on September 16. More grass on Sept 25. Soil is sandy and infertile. Watering irregular.

Are they doing this right? What results would you expect? How would you improve this?
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bad lawn redo

Here is the bad lawn redo at about 4 weeks. Green house dark green pickup. Adequate, I think. Weather has been dry but perhaps they sprinkled a bit.

Lower photo shows a spot where a brief rain washed a lot of seed together to a low spot. This is an indication of what excess seed can do--and I am sure the water was helpful also.
Attached Images

Last edited by RigglePLC; 10-03-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: ps
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seed April 26

Now 22 weeks old. The spring-seeded new lawn looks like near 100 percent crabgrass. It is a bit brown due to a temp of about 39 degrees one morning and general dry conditions.
The second photo is the south side. The same red tree in the background, is also in the background in the picture of the south side. It appears the foreground tree is toast and the red tree is very poor.

This lawn is professionally mowed--and they carefully edge it from time to time.

Odd, but this week fertilizer was applied. There were particles on the sidewalk. I could see it was a mixture high in urea, with about 20 percent blue particles--presumably some type of slow release. There were tire scuff marks on the walk so I assume it was treated with a Z-Spray.
Attached Images

Last edited by RigglePLC; 10-03-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: dates added
Old 10-09-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

23 weeks after seeding

Sigh. Temps went down to about 34 degrees last week, light rain. Crabgrass is brown. Grass hydroseeded April 26 almost invisible. Original grass along curb and ordinary established lawns across street (duplex apartments) fairly green.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bad lawn redo

At 5 weeks. This the second lawn which usually has the green pickup in the drive. Temperatures cool (high of 61) and rain light. Sprinkling irregular. Killed, worked up and re-seeded about late August. Perhaps drill seeded. Results adequate, I think.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So Riggle you post stuff of other ppl jobs lets see your jobs
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it was me in the last photo. I'd go ahead and broadcast new seed into the thin areas... Yes, it is likely that the KBG hasn't really started to germinate and there is more to come, but "What IF..."??
A few handfulls of seed properly placed may mean the difference between "adequate' and percieved "Failure"... over-all I'd say this lawn succeeds, but the question will be "How Full?"... thanks for the photos and the thread...