Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
The rep can say anything he likes, and it can be far from fact, and to prove that, listed below is Hustler's own written description, not mine, not yours, and not the reps. As with any description used to advertise, and for legal purposes, if Hustler considers their 15 mph speed on a Hustler Super Z to be used for transport purposes only, then that is the way it would be stated in their advertising, as well as their specifications, and it would be hard-word defined as saying...15 MPH Transport Speed, but as you see from their on words below, this is not the case...making whatever rep, and whoever else believes this; to be totally incorrect.

For anyone that cares to argue about hard facts you can read with your own eyes, take it up with Hustler, they wrote the description, and the description means their Super Z mower will travel up to 15 mph, and mow at that speed if conditions suit.

QUOTE:
"The Hustler Super Z™ is in a class by itself. Literally. The Industrial-Grade Super Z is built like a tank and rides like a thoroughbred - with a top speed of 15 mph. The new HyperDrive™ hydraulic system is engineered to run at higher psi levels than any other mower on the market. Its VX4™ deck technology delivers a clean cut and finish that complements its industrial muscle. The Super Z is backed by Hustler's longer Industrial-Grade warranty, not found on any other zero-turn mower. When you want the toughest, most capable mower, climb aboard the Super Z."

To further reiterate this, anyone knows a mower will ride good in a transport situaion such as on a road, but they are stating the mower rides like a thoroughbred, and up to a speed of 15 mph. This statement would not be needed if they believed the 15 mph top speed would only be utilized very little, when as someone said, like moving from point "A" to point "B."
Puppy-
after reading this post, I got to thinking- why not just ask Hustler directly instead of trying to decipher/interpret their advertising? So I did. The following is my e-mail to them, and the reply I just got back a few minutes ago.

I have been having a debate with some fellow LCO's about how fast the SZ can MOW (as opposed to go) without any issues of missing grass etc. I know under ideal conditions, it can probably mow at the advertised 15MPH, but what do you the Hustler Corp actually recommend, as in, is the top speed mostly for transport, or was the SZ designed to be used to mow at that top speed? What is your suggestion for average daily use regarding speed? We have taken into consideration that a lot of it depends on the ground conditions, type of lawn etc., and since your advertising doesn't make the distinction of exactly where that top speed was designed to generally be used, we would like to hear it from you directly.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXXX

This was their reply-

XXXXX,
You kind of answered it yourself. 15mph is mainly for transport. As far as mowing, it is all on the conditions of the grass. Too fast and you'll leave uncut grass. Slow down till it does a good job.
In some situations you might need a kit or different blades for better cutting.
Jack

Jack Harper
Customer Service
Excel Industries
Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Who are you kidding, your not working you are sittin on your a$$ having fun.

Where you live looks beautiful.
The vids when Im wearing the cut off sleeve shirt cutting the long grass was the first time I mowed my place with the new machine so yeah, was fun but now, the novelty has worn off.

Ridin' Im 95% sure they were just the Fusion blades that came with the machine. Excell 602771 PO I believe.
I agree that they do get the clippings out, if it wasnt for the occasional clump that gets caught up Id be a very happy man! As you know Ive never complained about the clumps cutting that sort of grass, its when the grass is short, where the XR7 deck would of done it without drama etc.
What mess's with my head is it can cut and discharge long wet grass very well a lot of the time but get it onto a patch of thick dry much shorter grass and it clumps. WTF.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Puppy-
after reading this post, I got to thinking- why not just ask Hustler directly instead of trying to decipher/interpret their advertising? So I did. The following is my e-mail to them, and the reply I just got back a few minutes ago.

I have been having a debate with some fellow LCO's about how fast the SZ can MOW (as opposed to go) without any issues of missing grass etc. I know under ideal conditions, it can probably mow at the advertised 15MPH, but what do you the Hustler Corp actually recommend, as in, is the top speed mostly for transport, or was the SZ designed to be used to mow at that top speed? What is your suggestion for average daily use regarding speed? We have taken into consideration that a lot of it depends on the ground conditions, type of lawn etc., and since your advertising doesn't make the distinction of exactly where that top speed was designed to generally be used, we would like to hear it from you directly.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXXX

This was their reply-

XXXXX,
You kind of answered it yourself. 15mph is mainly for transport. As far as mowing, it is all on the conditions of the grass. Too fast and you'll leave uncut grass. Slow down till it does a good job.
In some situations you might need a kit or different blades for better cutting.
Jack

Jack Harper
Customer Service
Excel Industries
LOL. I was going to call when I had time but you beat me to it with email. Thats what I figured they would say. Top speed is just that, a top speed. Nothing about cutting speed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
The vids when Im wearing the cut off sleeve shirt cutting the long grass was the first time I mowed my place with the new machine so yeah, was fun but now, the novelty has worn off.

Ridin' Im 95% sure they were just the Fusion blades that came with the machine. Excell 602771 PO I believe.
I agree that they do get the clippings out, if it wasnt for the occasional clump that gets caught up Id be a very happy man! As you know Ive never complained about the clumps cutting that sort of grass, its when the grass is short, where the XR7 deck would of done it without drama etc.
What mess's with my head is it can cut and discharge long wet grass very well a lot of the time but get it onto a patch of thick dry much shorter grass and it clumps. WTF.
As you know Mick, I follow your posts about the QOC issue, and I really can't understand it either.

I was watching your vids and paying close attention to the discharge whenever I could see it, to see if there were certain times that clippings would hang up at the rear corner of the opening. Most of the time, the majority of clippings were coming out along the front edge of the opening, but every so often, they would also come out right along the area you've been trying to fix/modify. While nothing was sticking or clumping in the vids at that point of the opening, it may be something for you to study for yourself since you are there looking at everything (including the grass before cutting) in person. Maybe you'll see something in the vids that gives you a clue to something you've not thought of before?

I know that if you did get it figured out, I'd be much more inclined towards one exactly like it in the future, because that is otherwise a fine machine.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
LOL. I was going to call when I had time but you beat me to it with email. Thats what I figured they would say. Top speed is just that, a top speed. Nothing about cutting speed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea, sometimes all the he said she said stuff gets us no where, so when that happens, I try to go right to the source for the answers. I couldn't find a phone number in their contact section, so I sent the e-mail, and it is a good thing.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I know that if you did get it figured out, I'd be much more inclined towards one exactly like it in the future, because that is otherwise a fine machine.
Im certainly trying! Ive watched those vids many times, the one where I said to slow the vid down kind of gives the best example (although yes, there is a lot of grass for sure). It discharges really well until it throws full width of the chute, clippings build up on the rear of the chute, some gets hit by the blade and the rest falls to the ground. While clippings come out the front of the chute there is no problem! Im just trying to stop the build up at the rear of the chute.

Anyway, Ive said all that enough times already. Im just waiting on Hustler to help me out with it............

Once we get a little more growth (expecting some rain today finally) Ill try and get someone to hold the cam and get the clumping on vid.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Anyway, Ive said all that enough times already. Im just waiting on Hustler to help me out with it............

Once we get a little more growth (expecting some rain today finally) Ill try and get someone to hold the cam and get the clumping on vid.
It's OK mate, say it 'til they listen

The video that you are talking about making would be very interesting to me. I have always had a fascination with this type of stuff. Looking forward to that one for sure.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
It's OK mate, say it 'til they listen

The video that you are talking about making would be very interesting to me. I have always had a fascination with this type of stuff. Looking forward to that one for sure.
I'll be sure to get something up, just may take a while. Maybe an inch of rain today then back to fine. Place is so dry its going to take a lot more than that to kick things on. Not much mowing going on atm.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yea, sometimes all the he said she said stuff gets us no where, so when that happens, I try to go right to the source for the answers. I couldn't find a phone number in their contact section, so I sent the e-mail, and it is a good thing.
The statement Jack made was generic answer, and I've dealt with enough people at Hustler when asking complicated questions to realize you can ask numbers of different people, and get numbers of different answers.

Now, let's get down to hard evidence as if it were presented in a court of law to be proven as right or wrong.

A Judge and jury will decide based on written documentation as to whether Hustler actually meant, but did not write in their advertisements or specifications as to the 15 mph top speed being used as a transport speed only. I can tell you from dealing with many legal issues over time that it would be decided by a court as to believing when Hustler wrote their advertisement, and to back it up even further, as written in their specifications, that they were portraying to the general buying public their mower was a machine used to cut grass at up to 15 mph. If this is not what was meant when legally describing what the 15 mph could be used for, then it would definitely been described as a "15 MPH Transport Speed," and if they had really been serious about making sure the buying public did not attempt to mow at 15 mph, they would have advertised as a "15 MPH Transport Speed Only."

To back this up even further, they would pull in so-call expert witnesses such as some in this thread that have already stated they mow grass at top speed on their Hustler Super Z when conditions allow. These people would sit on the witness stand and when asked the question of whether they use the 15 mph top speed more of the time for mowing, or more of the time for transport only, what do you think would be said. If I'm the one on the stand under oath, I would truthfully say, I use the mower at top speed for mowing grass 50% of the time, and for transporting approximately 1% of the time, or less.

Put me on the side arguing the case in favor of the 15 mph being advertised as a speed you can mow grass up to, and you others on the side of making the Judge and jury believe that although Hustler did not specify in their advertisements, or specifications, the 15 mph top speed was meant to be utilized for transport only, and actually would not cut grass at the listed 15 mph.

Now be honest, who do you think will win this case?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the solution.. Since it is obviously the mower, sell it to me at a large discount and you can go buy a smoother mower?? hmmm
Delaware Roof Cleaning
Closed Thread