Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Wholesale Pinestraw??

So my company does alot of pine straw installation and were looking to cut our bottom line. I'm interested in buying a trailer load. Only question is, how do I go about finding a wholesaler for pinestraw? I live in Birmingham, AL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

long needle pinestraw

i purchased 30 bales of long needle pinestraw today. with this type of pinestraw, i expect the best. well guess what i came across in almost every bale? pieces of cactus and the needles from the cactus. here is the strange thing, these bales were bought here in north ga. any one ever come across anything like this?
Old 10-09-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you need to just find a hispanic guy to bale it and spread it for you. I pay 3.35 a bale spread. Then I tack on my share.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
you need to just find a hispanic guy to bale it and spread it for you. I pay 3.35 a bale spread. Then I tack on my share.
Can I have the number for your hispanic guy?? haha
Old 10-09-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Go to your local HD or Lowes and get the phone number off the trailer most of them are 334 area code. I'm not sure how much volume you do but there are alot of bales in a 53' trailer. I would say around 1,500 bales in there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Google wholesale pinestraw

There are some companies who will deliver by the truck or trailer. They will rent you a trailer or you can unload if you have the storage. This in in North Carolina but lots of it comes from Georgia
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

There is 1300 bales per truck normaly. Look up Ryan's select turf and order your pine straw from them there west of montgomry. They do drops for us in Birmingham often. I'll have to look up my price in the office. It's around $3.10-3.20 per bale. They also have 'super' bales that are rolled up. Each role is roughly 2.5 bales. There is a guy off of overten road that sells there straw. You can always swing by and look at. Also not to keep babbling just like every company out there you will get a bad bale or truck. I'm always very specific about my quality I expect and I have not problem not accepting it.
Last thing if that doesn't work. Call Ewing irrigation in Pelham not trussville. Ask for Rob tell him you need a truck. There long needle is fantastic.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do what I saw to guys doing last time I rolled through Brmingham on 459. They had an old 2500 chevy with a large plywood frame on the back and were raking up straw off the right of way. This just seemed a little strange as this is an interstated highway not some back road.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

That was me don't judge
J/k
Old 10-12-2012, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Heritage View Post
There is 1300 bales per truck normaly. Look up Ryan's select turf and order your pine straw from them there west of montgomry. They do drops for us in Birmingham often. I'll have to look up my price in the office. It's around $3.10-3.20 per bale. They also have 'super' bales that are rolled up. Each role is roughly 2.5 bales. There is a guy off of overten road that sells there straw. You can always swing by and look at. Also not to keep babbling just like every company out there you will get a bad bale or truck. I'm always very specific about my quality I expect and I have not problem not accepting it.
Last thing if that doesn't work. Call Ewing irrigation in Pelham not trussville. Ask for Rob tell him you need a truck. There long needle is fantastic.
Thanks! I'll definitely look into that tomorrow. I know your always going to get some bad bales here and there, but finding someone with a consistent product is always something I need. I'm just tired of paying retail when I'm buying close to 1000 bales a season. But Ewing huh?? Funny, I'm there all the time (Were based out of Pelham) and I've never used their pinestraw.