Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2012, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Would this trailer work for me?

Do you think I should weld some extra supports on the gate? And at the most I will only be putting 1,600 lbs on the trailer. I liked it cause it gave me an extra 2 feet to maneuver 2 mowers with. If I got the 12 foot one I would just be jamming the same two mowers on it and for $50 more I added two feet. Only mowing 2 days a week I didnt have the extra cash for a dual axel and a trailer brake receiver to be installed ($1500 extra)
Scag Tiger Cat 52'' w/ Bagger
Toro Timemaster
Stihl Handhelds
Old 10-11-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My next need is to up grade my trailer. I want a single axle 6 / 7 x 14 trailer myself so two 6' long pieces can fit on without a stuggle and wide enough for a 60 that I don't have to worry when running a bag.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Three more items. The trailer probably will come with junky tires. You really need E rated 80 psi tires so the trailer doesn't bounce around and blow out a tire if you hit a decent bump with a bunch of mowers in it. Your going to need a spare tire as well. No spare is really a big problem because it you have to leave your trailer on the side of a road to go get a tire fixed your equipment may be long gone before you get back. For a wheel and three decent Carlisle tires you looking at around $400.

Look up under the front of the trailer and see if the tongue stops under the front of the trailer or if the steel runs the whole length of the trailer like it should. The inferior companies that do not have the tools to bend steel simply weld the tongue to the front of the trailer. Welded tongues are prone to failing if you overload the trailer or get in even a mild accident. I've seen trailers fold in half before because the tongue failed. It's a pretty funny sight to see a trailer twisted up like a pretzel.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Three more items. The trailer probably will come with junky tires. You really need E rated 80 psi tires so the trailer doesn't bounce around and blow out a tire if you hit a decent bump with a bunch of mowers in it. Your going to need a spare tire as well. No spare is really a big problem because it you have to leave your trailer on the side of a road to go get a tire fixed your equipment may be long gone before you get back. For a wheel and three decent Carlisle tires you looking at around $400.

Look up under the front of the trailer and see if the tongue stops under the front of the trailer or if the steel runs the whole length of the trailer like it should. The inferior companies that do not have the tools to bend steel simply weld the tongue to the front of the trailer. Welded tongues are prone to failing if you overload the trailer or get in even a mild accident. I've seen trailers fold in half before because the tongue failed. It's a pretty funny sight to see a trailer twisted up like a pretzel.
along with better tires make sure you have a decent floor jack to lift your trailer for the future flat tires, 2.5 Ton should work fine. Lowes also makes a great batt opperated impack drill for removing lug nuts for my truck and trailer, makes a great Christmas gift idea as well!.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-11-2012, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
along with better tires make sure you have a decent floor jack to lift your trailer for the future flat tires, 2.5 Ton should work fine. Lowes also makes a great batt opperated impack drill for removing lug nuts for my truck and trailer, makes a great Christmas gift idea as well!.
easy-lift guy
I keep a 18" breaker bar in my truck with sockets for my truck and trailer. For your tiny trailer your scissor jack will probably work fine. I keep a 20 ton bottle jack in my toolbox but my trailer can weight 28,000 lbs. I had a 15 ton but it wouldn't lift even one side of the trailer. Thanks for nothing Craftsman. Always buy a jack rated to lift way more then your trailer will ever weight.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/