Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You know a mower can't cut grass at 15 mph, the blades (according to someone's calculations) just can't turn fast enough to hit all the standing grass...but this is a facetious statement, just added that because many will take take the statement as what I actually believe.

I will totally agree with you on this point, there is no ztr built today with the strength and simplicity of a Hustler Super Z, and this is the reason I continue to buy the Super Z over other mowers. I do want to run a Cheetah for a comparison, and the first thing I will do is check the speed by distance and time, which is more accurate than GPS.
T

The Scag's are beautiful but also Cobbie at the same time.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just thought it was funny how he goes flat stick towards the back of the property and at 10.32 he hits something and cr@ps his pants, then comes back and says "ok, full speeds not for mowing" I dont think he was referring to the cut but the way he almost crashed it!

What I did notice was the engine bogging down when he pushes the sticks forward in high gear. That grass was long, but thin and dry. Easy stuff!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I just thought it was funny how he goes flat stick towards the back of the property and at 10.32 he hits something and cr@ps his pants, then comes back and says "ok, full speeds not for mowing" I dont think he was referring to the cut but the way he almost crashed it!

What I did notice was the engine bogging down when he pushes the sticks forward in high gear. That grass was long, but thin and dry. Easy stuff!
That mower needs more engine power, maybe not if all he cuts is like the grass in the video, but put the mower into something like crabgrass and it would really cut his productivity. That could be easily remedied with the big block 36 hp Vanguard. The grass that mower was cutting, the engine should have never changed sounds, zero rpm drop without need of the governor.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post

It looked like whatever he hit bucked him up off the seat enough to kill the blades.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
That mower needs more engine power, maybe not if all he cuts is like the grass in the video, but put the mower into something like crabgrass and it would really cut his productivity. That could be easily remedied with the big block 36 hp Vanguard. The grass that mower was cutting, the engine should have never changed sounds, zero rpm drop without need of the governor.
?

Why do you say a Vangaurd ?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
It looked like whatever he hit bucked him up off the seat enough to kill the blades.
Exactly!

Just realised, this thread has been thoroughly hijacked!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I know you believe the blades just can't turn fast enough to cut grass at the speed of the Cheetah in the video, so how do you suppose it performed that miracle?

If the blades can't turn fast enough, where is the standing grass left in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMZfRGSxFgg
Old 10-11-2012, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You know a mower can't cut grass at 15 mph, the blades (according to someone's calculations) just can't turn fast enough to hit all the standing grass...but this is a facetious statement, just added that because many will take take the statement as what I actually believe.

I will totally agree with you on this point, there is no ztr built today with the strength and simplicity of a Hustler Super Z, and this is the reason I continue to buy the Super Z over other mowers. I do want to run a Cheetah for a comparison, and the first thing I will do is check the speed by distance and time, which is more accurate than GPS.
You know, I normally respect your opinions, but when you start whining like a baby because I posted the truth straight from Hustler, you make yourself look very small.

If you want to come at me, then come on with it. No need to post "someone said". Everyone knows I said it. I'll stand by it. Bring your mower up here and see just how much grass it misses at full sticks during the summer months. Just because you mow several acres on a farm, does not make you the end all be all of mower knowledge. Nor does having more than one Z. Many of us have cut as much grass as you have or more, and have some pretty good ideas about what works and what doesn't. Until you've mowed all over the country you have no idea of what works anywhere else other than your immediate area.

Like I said DO THE MATH. The math is what it is. Numbers don't lie. The numbers say that the odds are very high for lots of stringers being left behind, especially on northern turf.

Just because the crap you cut is very stiff and you can cut it clean enough for your satisfaction, doesn't mean it would pass everyone else's standards- LCO or customer. Nor does it mean that your mower willl do it on any other turf grass outside of what you are cutting.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 10-11-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ok you two, play nice!
Old 10-11-2012, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You know, I normally respect your opinions, but when you start whining like a baby because I posted the truth straight from Hustler, you make yourself look very small.

If you want to come at me, then come on with it. No need to post "someone said". Everyone knows I said it. I'll stand by it. Bring your mower up here and see just how much grass it misses at full sticks during the summer months. Just because you mow several acres on a farm, does not make you the end all be all of mower knowledge. Nor does having more than one Z. Many of us have cut as much grass as you have or more, and have some pretty good ideas about what works and what doesn't. Until you've mowed all over the country you have no idea of what works anywhere else other than your immediate area.

Like I said DO THE MATH. The math is what it is. Numbers don't lie. The numbers say that the odds are very high for lots of stringers being left behind, especially on northern turf.

Just because the crap you cut is very stiff and you can cut it clean enough for your satisfaction, doesn't mean it would pass everyone else's standards- LCO or customer. Nor does it mean that your mower willl do it on any other turf grass outside of what you are cutting.
The blades probably don't turn as fast in Michigan, could be the air is just much thinner that far north, that may why the "ODDS" are very high for lots of stringers being left.