Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I know you believe the blades just can't turn fast enough to cut grass at the speed of the Cheetah in the video, so how do you suppose it performed that miracle?

If the blades can't turn fast enough, where is the standing grass left in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMZfRGSxFgg
If you are referring to the scene where he drives down the side of the driveway at full sticks, I dare you to prove that there ISN'T any standing grass, because you can't. The video is taken from too far away, not to mention he isn't taking more than an inch or two off right there. He isn't going near full sticks anywhere else in the video while close enough to get a good look at the cut. Maybe it's alright with you to do butcher work, but for those of us who depend on doing this for our income, we have more to think about than just bragging about having the fastest or strongest mower on some forum. We need to give the best we can or run the risk of losing an account to someone else in a time when LCO's are everywhere now.

Apparently you have no idea of what I believe, so don't put words into my mouth. You are arrogant in the extreme sometimes. The guy from Hustler sends me a reply with what they recommend, I post it, and now it's my fault that they happen to agree with me and not you?

If you want to mow your grass at full sticks, be my guest, but it doesn't make you right. Some guys have grass that they can geta way with it on, soome don't. You simply can't tell everyone here that it's ok with no caveat included about grass type or condition.

I can drive 120 mph on the ice too. It doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The blades probably don't turn as fast in Michigan, could be the air is just much thinner that far north, that may why the "ODDS" are very high for lots of stringers being left.
If you can dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS right?. You sound like obama did the other night while getting his butt whooped.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I know you believe the blades just can't turn fast enough to cut grass at the speed of the Cheetah in the video, so how do you suppose it performed that miracle?

If the blades can't turn fast enough, where is the standing grass left in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMZfRGSxFgg
I watched the video. It looks to me like all he did was go over the cliipings that he had already dropped from the previous runs. No big feat there.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Exactly!

Just realised, this thread has been thoroughly hijacked!
Juuts something to fill the time until the OP comes back with more info.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
If you are referring to the scene where he drives down the side of the driveway at full sticks, I dare you to prove that there ISN'T any standing grass, because you can't. The video is taken from too far away, not to mention he isn't taking more than an inch or two off right there. He isn't going near full sticks anywhere else in the video while close enough to get a good look at the cut. Maybe it's alright with you to do butcher work, but for those of us who depend on doing this for our income, we have more to think about than just bragging about having the fastest or strongest mower on some forum. We need to give the best we can or run the risk of losing an account to someone else in a time when LCO's are everywhere now.

Apparently you have no idea of what I believe, so don't put words into my mouth. You are arrogant in the extreme sometimes. The guy from Hustler sends me a reply with what they recommend, I post it, and now it's my fault that they happen to agree with me and not you?

If you want to mow your grass at full sticks, be my guest, but it doesn't make you right. Some guys have grass that they can geta way with it on, soome don't. You simply can't tell everyone here that it's ok with no caveat included about grass type or condition.

I can drive 120 mph on the ice too. It doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.
You've never heard me tell everyone they could go out and cut grass at 15 mph, but I have said you can cut grass in the right conditions that fast, and some have chimed in and said they did the same.

I think you can look back, and I feel assured anyone reading this that knows me has heard me say many times that I can cut grass at top speed because of being on relatively smooth terrain, and having stiff blade dryer type southern grasses to cut. I have always advocated that northern limp blade grasses are much more difficult to get a clean cut on, and you can find statements I've made that if cutting much above 3" the XR-7 Hustler deck would not give a clean cut in northern grasses at any speed.

I have also said that the Exmark Ultra Cut deck performed best in northern grass due to its more powerful suction, but you would be forced to scrape the deck more often than a deck such as the Scag Velocity Plus deck with its hybrid tunnel design.

Now, for you to say that it is impossible to cut grass at 15 mph due to your calculations showing a lack of blade tip speed may be correct as you saw it on paper, but you cannot disregard the fact that several besides myself in this thread, and many more throughout LawnSite have stated they do cut grass at those fast speeds.

So now, if you will concede that yes, it is possible to cut grass in the right conditions at 15 mph, and your calculations may not be exact in a real world cutting scenario, I will concede that I agree with you.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You've never heard me tell everyone they could go out and cut grass at 15 mph, but I have said you can cut grass in the right conditions that fast, and some have chimed in and said they did the same.

I think you can look back, and I feel assured anyone reading this that knows me has heard me say many times that I can cut grass at top speed because of being on relatively smooth terrain, and having stiff blade dryer type southern grasses to cut. I have always advocated that northern limp blade grasses are much more difficult to get a clean cut on, and you can find statements I've made that if cutting much above 3" the XR-7 Hustler deck would not give a clean cut in northern grasses at any speed.

I have also said that the Exmark Ultra Cut deck performed best in northern grass due to its more powerful suction, but you would be forced to scrape the deck more often than a deck such as the Scag Velocity Plus deck with its hybrid tunnel design.

Now, for you to say that it is impossible to cut grass at 15 mph due to your calculations showing a lack of blade tip speed may be correct as you saw it on paper, but you cannot disregard the fact that several besides myself in this thread, and many more throughout LawnSite have stated they do cut grass at those fast speeds.

So now, if you will concede that yes, it is possible to cut grass in the right conditions at 15 mph, and your calculations may not be exact in a real world cutting scenario, I will concede that I agree with you.
puppy-

in both this thread, and several others in which we've both posted in the past, I have said repeatedly that you can do it under the right conditions. Feel free to go back check for yourself. All I have said is that the numbers say it is not wise to do since the blade strikes per inch of forwards travel are so low. Many manu's advertise the high BTS's of their decks by including remarks such as "...more blades strikes per inch" etc, so I have to assume it's something they take into conmsideration. It's a factor they are certainly aware of and it helps them sell their product. Like I said, if you can do it, and are satisfied with the results, that's fine by me. I just don't think it serves the mowing community at large to post blanket statements that it is ok to do or that the cut bis going to be acceptable. It can be done, but only in the right conditions.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
puppy-

in both this thread, and several others in which we've both posted in the past, I have said repeatedly that you can do it under the right conditions. Feel free to go back check for yourself. All I have said is that the numbers say it is not wise to do since the blade strikes per inch of forwards travel are so low. Many manu's advertise the high BTS's of their decks by including remarks such as "...more blades strikes per inch" etc, so I have to assume it's something they take into conmsideration. It's a factor they are certainly aware of and it helps them sell their product. Like I said, if you can do it, and are satisfied with the results, that's fine by me. I just don't think it serves the mowing community at large to post blanket statements that it is ok to do or that the cut bis going to be acceptable. It can be done, but only in the right conditions.
One thing you can do is put smaller pullies on the blade spindles to speed them up, a 72 all things given are equal will have a faster tip speed over a 60.

Pupster has a huge area to mow and he found what works for him,on large properties I have found it works for me too.

I am not going back to a 10 or 12 MPH Z after running a faster unit. It all depends on weather you can get away with it for your conditions.

The Pupster means no harm he is just excited about his new toy.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
One thing you can do is put smaller pullies on the blade spindles to speed them up, a 72 all things given are equal will have a faster tip speed over a 60.

Pupster has a huge area to mow and he found what works for him,on large properties I have found it works for me too.

I am not going back to a 10 or 12 MPH Z after running a faster unit. It all depends on weather you can get away with it for your conditions.

The Pupster means no harm he is just excited about his new toy.
A 72 will not have a faster blade tip speed than a 60 if all things are equal. I've repeated this to you many times. A 72s blade is about 2 inches longer on each end than a 60s blades. Therefore it must treble further to make one rotation. Let me give you the simplest example I can. Two race cars are running exactly the same speed at Daytona one car(60) is hugging the inside line, the other (72) is running next to the wall. Which one will finish their lap first? Ding ding ding the 60 will because its total distance is a little shorter than the distance the 72 covers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Greenology,

So you somehow think switching to rigid forks and flat free caster tires is going to help? Personally I wouldn't waste the energy. But then, maybe they are what's giving you the whiplash?

If you do go rigid, you'd need to get air filled front tires. Set them at 8psi and your golden!

A front weight kit is going to make pointing down a hill a dangerous situation. If anything, you should add a little weight to the back as you removed the ROPS I believe. However heavy that is, may be affecting things? On my demos , I had to leave it on and folded. If I bought one it would be removed. I remember the ROPS on my old JD was over 100 lbs!
Posted via Mobile Device

I swapped to rigid forks yest, was only able to cut 1 lawn, still seemed rough but if anything not as bad, mosty definately not a rougher ride..? Just havnt had a chance to give it a decent go, been so busy with other jobs. Plus raining. Will hopefully be able to get another go on it on weekend before I change forks back to flex ready for the hustler rep on monday morning.

Maybe as you suggest, air tyres and rigid forks and I might be ok.

I did take the ROPS off, do you really think removing these would cause a rougher ride? (Mick is runing his without, his is ok), the weight from those rops i think are almost directly over the rear wheels, rather than towards the back end. In a way its a hazard for me to use zero turn with rops, I have been going along at speed in past on an older mower and misjudged a tree branch height, that wasnt a good experience however luckily wasnt too serious.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
A 72 will not have a faster blade tip speed than a 60 if all things are equal. I've repeated this to you many times. A 72s blade is about 2 inches longer on each end than a 60s blades. Therefore it must treble further to make one rotation. Let me give you the simplest example I can. Two race cars are running exactly the same speed at Daytona one car(60) is hugging the inside line, the other (72) is running next to the wall. Which one will finish their lap first? Ding ding ding the 60 will because its total distance is a little shorter than the distance the 72 covers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your a simple simon ,we need to get you enrolled in the physics class as well, the spindle pulleys on the deck make the same degree of rotation in the same time weather it is a 60 or a 72 all things being equal but the longer blade of the 72 covers more distance in that time making it have a faster tip speed. your analogy is flawed, Mr. Spock would find gaping defects in your logic.
Closed Thread