Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-10-2012, 04:49 PM
ffjoe ffjoe is offline
LawnSite Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 25
Insurance questions


Im in Texas. I was wondering what kind of insurance I have to carry with 2-3 employees. I have no idea how and what type of insurance to get. Can someone please lend their expert advice.

gen liability?
Workers comp?

what limits on them? These are the kind of questions I am needing answered...
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 PM
addictedtolandscaping's Avatar
addictedtolandscaping addictedtolandscaping is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 564
You need liability for your business and comp for your employees. Depending on who does your payroll, this can be set up with them. Playing with electricity, sound advice I think would be to look at a rider for electrical work.
2007 Ram 2500 with the 6.7
2001 Ram 2500 opec proof gasser with the 360
1996 Mack RD Tri-Axle Dump Truck
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:29 AM
David Gretzmier David Gretzmier is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fayetteville,AR
Posts: 3,645
Talk to an insurance broker about what you do and he will give you advice on classifications. currently we are classified as exterior electricians who go on lifts, ladders and roofs up to 60 ft tall. You should have a liability policy of a least 1 million, or roughly the value of the most expensive home you do plus it's contents, whichever is higher. we should have higher liability limits, we do homes and businesses that are probably in excess of 10 million, and if they were to have a fire because of us, our insurance is still too low. And I think we upped it to 5 million last year.

In Arkansas if you have more than 2 employees you are legally required to have workman's comp. I am not sure what the Texas law is, but you would be crazy not to have it. depending on how you classify, it costs around 3k to start a policy that would cover you for the first $25-30,000 in payroll or so. it protects YOU from going bankrupt when one of your employees falls. and they will. we have a fall every other year that requires medical cost. One a few years ago was well over 50k. so don't skip that. get it.
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:18 AM
PlantscapeSolutions's Avatar
PlantscapeSolutions PlantscapeSolutions is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Buda,Texas
Posts: 2,951
I'll revive your old thread since it's still near the top. In Texas workers com is not required by the state. You may get a general contractor on commercial jobs that requires it but that's about it.

The Hartford is who I use for auto and general liability and they are just about impossible to beat. Many have tried but all have failed. A million dollar policy is pretty standard.
Market- Austin Texas Area
Employees- 3
Sales $430K+
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, AOLP, NALP, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Grand View Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 PM.

Page generated in 0.08381 seconds with 10 queries