Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If there is such an abundance of workers, they why will a significant portion of the apple crop be left to rot?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...503934852.html
Old 10-11-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

it must be a ***** to pick apples from a height all day long.
if it takes someone with experience an hour moving to pick a box, how much could you or i pick an hour. half a box? so your now only making 14 an hour if your lucky, what if they pay less.

we pay 12 starting after 2 weeks training an hour plus benefits, plus yearly bonus, 60 hours a week, plus a bonus for the crew if they sign up a neighboring property.

your article as well states that the workers are underpaid. no **** no one whats to work.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITY PARK CUTTER View Post
Should I bring up Zachery Taylor, or Woodrow Wilson...how about Lyndon Baines Johnson? How far back are we going to go in the blame game? No. Enough of the "Bush put us in such a hole, blah,blah, blah..." rhetoric. OBama said he could fix it, and he didn't...simple as that. If he would've fixed it, I'd vote for him. But he didn't. Walmart isn't your problem, people are your problem. America is chock full of takers, people who produce nothing but suck off the teets of the producers. My teets are red and swollen from the amount of suckers milking my money in food stamps, welfare, assistance, fraud, etc each and every day. Don't blame Bush or Cheney or Condoleeza or Walmart...blame the American people who cheat on disability claims or the 45 million folks on food stamps and sell half of 'em for cash, or the unmarrieds who stay unmarried because they can get more section 8 benefits...those are your real problems.

I thank the good Lord for the rich. "The rich" hire you. Many of my best lawn customers are rich. Love 'em. They cut me big fat checks to mow grass for 'em. You work for the rich. The rich own stuff and make things happen and risk capital that only the rich have. The rich went to medical school or law school, things you couldn't hack. You settled for "Elementary Ed" or "Safety" degrees while partying your life away. They got 31 MCAT scores by busting ass and making it happen. Now, they're rich and own things and can afford to pay for services. The Poor and middle class people have nothing to risk. They cash paychecks by trading time for money, that's the way it works. Go out, middle class, and borrow from friends and family to start up that BBQ joint or soft serve ice cream stand or automatic car wash. Go ahead, see how tough it is. That's right, you don't want the risk do you? You want safety, steady, you want to know that the paycheck will always be there. But you'll work at those places, take care of your families off that paycheck, and go home and badmouth the boss or owner because they have more toys than you. Right? I'm too right...that's the problem...
Wow! That was one of the best, most articulate posts I've ever seen on Lawnsite in all the 13 years I've been here. All excellent points. I'm envious that I didn't write that. Well done.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-11-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardworkswi View Post
Hopefully our industry is not taking advantage of people by paying low wages and further hurting the economy. It is much harder now to get a good paying job than it was in previous generations and things cost considerably more. Obama is far from perfect but it was the hole we were put in by the previous administration that is to blame. Its no coincidence that when a pres and vp that came from the oil company get in office that prices skyrocket and oil companies have record profits. Imagine if you could get away with price fixing and charge whatever you wanted without someone else taking your business. And I thought monopolies were made illegal because of standard oil many yrs ago. Campaign funds given to the republican party from oil companies tripled during Bush while it remained the same for democrats ironically so did the price per gallon. People used to make enough money to buy things with cash once that fizzled out credit cards came around so that we could still buy and now we pay interest on top of the cost. When I was young and we needed things my family spent the day going to a hardware store, bakery, meat market, grocery store, sporting goods store, electronics store and wherever else goods were that we needed. Now we go to Walmart. All of these businesses had owners, managers, skilled tradesmen, and general employees and have been replaced with minimum wage part timers with no benefits all so that Walmart can monopolize just about anything you can think of by paying low wages and buying in bulk. The loss of wages to these employees of businesses that "used to be" are all going to one place now and Sam isnt spending it like they used to. With this and the rise in cost of almost everything we have to pay for there is not much hope for us middle class remaining much longer soon you will be either rich or poor and just like in monopoly when the poor run out of cash the game is over!
Hallucinate much?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Member

He's not hallucinating. I actually cried when bush was elected, then twice, Jesus. Guys not even smart, one speech he gave he said obgyns can practice their love of women? Idiot!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Obama is far from perfect but it was the hole we were put in by the previous administration that is to blame. Its no coincidence that when a pres and vp that came from the oil company get in office that prices skyrocket and oil companies have record profits.
Showing your youth. The oil companies have been screwing us over since the first fake oil shortage back in 1975. Not since Bush.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
.... Its no coincidence that when a pres and vp that came from the oil company get in office that prices skyrocket and oil companies have record profits. ....
Whoa! Profit margins of the oil companies are way down the list, something like 30th or 40th as an industry sector. The "high profits" mantra is a talking point that has no legs. Meanwhile, the companies that we love, such as Apple, have very high profit margins, and I hear nobody complaining about them.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowmoney2013 View Post
He's not hallucinating. I actually cried when bush was elected, then twice, Jesus. Guys not even smart, one speech he gave he said obgyns can practice their love of women? Idiot!
We currently have the highest gas prices in history. Obama is the President. Obama has been president for almost four years. How could you not be hallucinating and blame Bush/Cheney? Get real.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I do not disagree with your point that too many people are taking advantage of a flawed system and yes for this the left would be at fault for the leniency. IMHO, denying that the things I had said hold truth and have affected our economy would make me ask the same of you; Hallucinate much? Obama did make promises that he did not keep but have you ever known a politician that hasn't? Many of the rich out there are very deserving of what they have because of the education, innovation, hard work and whatever else they did to get there. I respect these people, and like you, do thank them for employing people, however they would not have what they have without those people producing and buying what they are selling. I know that anyone can do anything and be whatever they want to be in this country but many have a much easier road than others. Success is determined by many things a major one of those being the situation one is born into. Just read a thread about that on here about "connections" and "headstarts" aiding in success. I just hope that the government can reduce the drag the poor have on the economy, strengthen the middle class as they are truly what makes the country run, and be fair but not too fair to the wealthy. We are all in this together. Saying that people chose to pursue education and careers because they couldn't "hack it" is one of the more ridiculous things that I have ever heard. This may be true for a minority (some people simply are not smart enough or have the drive to be successful) but IMHO people make these choices for reasons other than a lack of confidence in their abilities. There is nothing wrong with getting a paycheck and putting food on the table but if you are bad mouthing the boss for his success then you are just a bitter person and should get a clue but most that I hear bad mouth their bosses has nothing to do with what he drives and how he plays it is about how big of an *** he is. As far as gas prices are concerned I do know that oil companies have been taking it to us since they existed but much worse from 04 - 08 than ever before and the spike that occurred during this time put those prices in a position that they will never recover unlike how they did after the mid 70s. From late 70s through 2003 gas went from .80 to 2 from 03 to 08 it went from 2 to 4.40. If you cant see that in around 25 yrs the increase was equivalent to 5 yrs of Bush then I understand why you would have the stance you have.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITY PARK CUTTER View Post
Should I bring up Zachery Taylor, or Woodrow Wilson...how about Lyndon Baines Johnson? How far back are we going to go in the blame game? No. Enough of the "Bush put us in such a hole, blah,blah, blah..." rhetoric. OBama said he could fix it, and he didn't...simple as that. If he would've fixed it, I'd vote for him. But he didn't. Walmart isn't your problem, people are your problem. America is chock full of takers, people who produce nothing but suck off the teets of the producers. My teets are red and swollen from the amount of suckers milking my money in food stamps, welfare, assistance, fraud, etc each and every day. Don't blame Bush or Cheney or Condoleeza or Walmart...blame the American people who cheat on disability claims or the 45 million folks on food stamps and sell half of 'em for cash, or the unmarrieds who stay unmarried because they can get more section 8 benefits...those are your real problems.

I thank the good Lord for the rich. "The rich" hire you. Many of my best lawn customers are rich. Love 'em. They cut me big fat checks to mow grass for 'em. You work for the rich. The rich own stuff and make things happen and risk capital that only the rich have. The rich went to medical school or law school, things you couldn't hack. You settled for "Elementary Ed" or "Safety" degrees while partying your life away. They got 31 MCAT scores by busting ass and making it happen. Now, they're rich and own things and can afford to pay for services. The Poor and middle class people have nothing to risk. They cash paychecks by trading time for money, that's the way it works. Go out, middle class, and borrow from friends and family to start up that BBQ joint or soft serve ice cream stand or automatic car wash. Go ahead, see how tough it is. That's right, you don't want the risk do you? You want safety, steady, you want to know that the paycheck will always be there. But you'll work at those places, take care of your families off that paycheck, and go home and badmouth the boss or owner because they have more toys than you. Right? I'm too right...that's the problem...
Couldn't have said it better myself. It comes down to are you really better right now than you were 4 years ago?? No way. I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of being lied to by our president. We need someone who can keep their promises. Not make America look like the newest episode of "Punked"