Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Great review. I'm on the fence between a Gravely and a Scag for my next machine. You said you ran Scag before this - what makes the Gravely better in your eyes? What made you switch?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDLLC View Post
Great review. I'm on the fence between a Gravely and a Scag for my next machine. You said you ran Scag before this - what makes the Gravely better in your eyes? What made you switch?
Dont get me wrong Scag is a great mower and I still would recommend them to anyone. For me Gravely has really raised the bar for all others in comfort and performance. Customer service is second to none. Performance is just as good and even better in a lot of areas over my scags. Fit and finish is the best I have seen. Once you demo and see them in person Gravely really speaks for themselves. Plus fleet pricing was a no brainer business wise for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 10-12-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just a heads up. The 460 tows a 40" core aerator like a beast. Dont even know its back there and it did great along the side of hills also.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Just a heads up. The 460 tows a 40" core aerator like a beast. Dont even know its back there and it did great along the side of hills also.
How many spoons were on it?

I have a 48" plugger that has 48 spoons. I know I can pull it with my 950 (it's rated to tow 400lbs), but I pull it with my old garden tractor. I add 210 lbs to the tray to plug deep on hard ground, and in some situations, I'm afraid it would be overloading the hydros.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate the time you have spent reviewing these machines!!! I too have ran them both. I bought a 48 Pro Stance 4 weeks ago and have 2 472's arriving next week. All I can say is drive one. I started out years ago with Scag changed to Hustler and was ready to go with a Scag Until I demoed a Gravely. Very nice machine.I am hesitant to post as I dont have much time to reply but this is my 2 pennies. Will be changing other machines next year if they perform as expected.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea i'm the old guy................... all of 43 ............... but you young guys have a passion and drive that I still strive for.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by afralich View Post
Yea i'm the old guy................... all of 43 ............... but you young guys have a passion and drive that I still strive for.
Actually, you're one of the young guys. There are a lot of guys here that are much older than you. It's good that you keep striving for more. Never loose that.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afralich View Post
I appreciate the time you have spent reviewing these machines!!! I too have ran them both. I bought a 48 Pro Stance 4 weeks ago and have 2 472's arriving next week. All I can say is drive one. I started out years ago with Scag changed to Hustler and was ready to go with a Scag Until I demoed a Gravely. Very nice machine.I am hesitant to post as I dont have much time to reply but this is my 2 pennies. Will be changing other machines next year if they perform as expected.
Sounds like you have a good operation going!! If you do find time I would love to see some pics. I bet the 472 is quite impressive...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2012, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
How many spoons were on it?

I have a 48" plugger that has 48 spoons. I know I can pull it with my 950 (it's rated to tow 400lbs), but I pull it with my old garden tractor. I add 210 lbs to the tray to plug deep on hard ground, and in some situations, I'm afraid it would be overloading the hydros.

Ours is not a commercial unit. We dont do enough to warrant the cost of a commercial aerator. Maybe 15 to 20 every fall. Ours is a 40" JD with 28 spoons. I was worried when I bought it that they would be far apart and I would have to go over everything twice. It actually pokes 3"+ and they are nice and tightly spaced! It is built by brinley to JD specs (more supports and and thicker steel). I bought it at the JD dealer.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...N#.UHhOJ1Guge8
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Ours is not a commercial unit. We dont do enough to warrant the cost of a commercial aerator. Maybe 15 to 20 every fall. Ours is a 40" JD with 28 spoons. I was worried when I bought it that they would be far apart and I would have to go over everything twice. It actually pokes 3"+ and they are nice and tightly spaced! It is built by brinley to JD specs (more supports and and thicker steel). I bought it at the JD dealer.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...N#.UHhOJ1Guge8
The one I mentioned having above is the 48" version of that one. It does a very good job. I like the width, but wish it had less spoons like the actual Brinley/Hardy version does. It leaves too many holes at the headlands where you turn. I'm looking at getting one to use on the 3pt on the back of my CUT to eliminate that problem. I don't do any small yards with mine, so using my CUT wouldn't be a problem.