Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

experienced ford 6.0 guys - looking at 2004 550 dump

I want to buy a 550 dump truck. 2004 -97k miles - 11' fold down rugby dump - no smoke on start up(watched the mirror when cranking it up cold), but i took it around the block, got up to about 40mph, edge insight was reading approx 189 190 on eot and ect, everything was great til I got back to the yard and was talking to the owner while the truck was still running. there was a little white smoke coming out of the tailpipe when it was warmed up. The owner isn't knowledgeable on the 6.0s but suggested it was because the truck has been sitting for months.

Carfax and Oasis say that it had the tank, injectors, and pump done at 40k miles due to the lining of the chassis cab trucks coming loose and clogging everything. warranty ended at 50 k so from then til 97k there is nothing listed but safe to say not much else was done. all fluids and filters recently done.

I spoke to 1 diesel mechanic and he said it could be dirty EGR, cracked EGR, or head gaskets. the first two I will buy the truck in a heartbeat ($14k) and do an egr delete and coolant filter but if its heads I dont want to get involved unless its free or damn close to it.

another mechanic said to look for bubbles in the degas bottle while running.

the truck pulls hard, sounds great, and isn't throwing any codes.
unfortunately I can't get on the highway and wind it out to really read the ect eot since it isn't registered or insured, maybe if I show up with the cash he will let me?

just need a starting point to determine if its the heads or the egr. maybe I'm thinking too far into it but I know the 6.0s can be great trucks if they don't blow up and bankrupt you

a pic for motivation

Old 10-12-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Was it fully warmed up?

Who knows.

Mine smokes white, black, gray and blue when cold. Bad injectors, again. Going to try to hold off until I can do the Cummins swap that I keep putting off because of time and money. But I can't afford to wait much longer.

Flip a coin.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 10-12-2012, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My pickup smokes when its cold because it needs the ficm soldered but this dump started right up cold. No smoke. It was at 190*. Just trying to determine if a little white smoke when warm is a. Nothing but from sitting a while. B. egr related. C. Head gasket related. D. All the above
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

189-190 eot and ect is fully warmed up. Look at the degas bottle, was there much or any residue? If there wasnt i would say the heads are more than likely fine. Could be an injector but could very well be a dirty egr valve or ficm. Ficm's sent in to be rebuilt will cost in the neck of 300 and they offer a swap out for 50 more if you need it now. I would see if i could scan it for any potential problems like egr valve and ficm. Ficm should be 48.5- 46 at the very minnimum voltage but still not a huge cost to fix. I dunno bud
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like others have stated could be a dirty egr which isnt that hard to clean if you know what you're doing. Since nobody has said this I will, if the truck hasnt been started in months, if you buy it, I would really clean out that turbo. chances are that the turbo veins could be stuck causing it to smoke a little bit more than usual. But I do know that if a turbo powered truck sits for long periods of time, the turbo tends to stick and wont function to its potential. But a headgasket, stud, and cooler job if done yourself should be like 2-3k bucks. I think....
Old 10-12-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If i buy it i will delete the egr anyway. I just don't want to touch te heads.

My edge insight said 0 codes dieseltech. No residue. All fluids are new including coolant. I would probably do the restore flushes and ELC coolant with a coolant filter if i buy the truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

2004 was a bad production year, the 2005's were better. Mine was an '05 and it was flawless. They just don't like sitting for long periods of time of the turbo vanes get sticky. They need a good heavy foot every now and then.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The 2005s seem to be a big price jump also due to the freshened front body style. The 04 had some good improvements over the 03 like moving the icp sensor and some turbo changes i think. But my 03 has been flawless for 140k miles
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Big thing to remember is to let any diesel engine warm up before hitting the skinny pedal, there's lots of different types of metals that expand with heat at different rates. I still see people with newer diesel trucks take off right out of the parking lot early in the morning with copious amounts of smoke exiting the pipe that the emissions systems can't handle with out heat.
Posted via Mobile Device