Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 PM
greenology's Avatar
greenology greenology is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 811
[QUOTE=Realslowww;4552113]One thing you can do is put smaller pullies on the blade spindles to speed them up, a 72 all things given are equal will have a faster tip speed over a 60.]



It would be a bad idea to create more blade tip speed by making the pulleys smaller, as you will get less torque to the blade & I have already loaded the blades up with thick grass to the point the engine bogged. This is with mulching kit and going very slow, obviously i needed to come up higher on deck which I did at that point. However In my experience I wouldnt be taking away any power from the blades, need that power there for all different conditions/situations in contract mowing.
  #182  
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Your a simple simon ,we need to get you enrolled in the physics class as well, the spindle pulleys on the deck make the same degree of rotation in the same time weather it is a 60 or a 72 all things being equal but the longer blade of the 72 covers more distance in that time making it have a faster tip speed. your analogy is flawed, Mr. Spock would find gaping defects in your logic.
.....and we have been over this too. Maybe if everything were exactly the same, same engine and rpm's exactly, same pulley sizes exactly, same deck drive belt exactly etc, the longer blade of the 72" would have the higher BTS. That isn't how it works though in the real world. The longer blade requires more HP to turn due to a couple different reason like blade weight, and generally slightly larger sails. The manu's don't ship them with the same exact deck pulleys and /or PTO pulley. They have to reduce the "gearing" so to speak of the longer blade to keep from loading down the engine below it's correct operating range. Like I have posted to you before, the 72"s usually have lower BTS's. A quick perusal through the manu's site's shows that.
  #183  
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,555
This was lifted right from Hustler's site for the SZ

18,630 fpm (60)

18,630 fpm (60RD)

18,230 fpm (66)

18,530 fpm (72)


18,040 fpm (72RD)
  #184  
Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 AM
Mickhippy's Avatar
Mickhippy Mickhippy is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Queensland, Australia.
Posts: 3,899
Green. If you have another go, make sure there is 9 or 10 psi in the tires.
Run over that same yard/ruts that's in the vid, and take some vid. Be great to see a comparison.

You lot with ya blade tip/mow this fast or that........ Carry on! Ha
I'm havin a beer and going to a party. Catch ya's tomorrow!
Posted via Mobile Device
  #185  
Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
.....and we have been over this too. Maybe if everything were exactly the same, same engine and rpm's exactly, same pulley sizes exactly, same deck drive belt exactly etc, the longer blade of the 72" would have the higher BTS. That isn't how it works though in the real world. The longer blade requires more HP to turn due to a couple different reason like blade weight, and generally slightly larger sails. The manu's don't ship them with the same exact deck pulleys and /or PTO pulley. They have to reduce the "gearing" so to speak of the longer blade to keep from loading down the engine below it's correct operating range. Like I have posted to you before, the 72"s usually have lower BTS's. A quick perusal through the manu's site's shows that.
BULL CHIT my 72 n 60 run the same engine RPM and the same size deck pulley's and motor therefore they are the same. A 60 20 inch blade will have more torque and a 72 will have more tip speed that is the real difference. All the other stuff is hog wash, like I said all things being equal. I will tell you this a 72 Super in my opinion is superior to a 60 all things being equal.
  #186  
Old 10-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
This was lifted right from Hustler's site for the SZ

18,630 fpm (60)

18,630 fpm (60RD)

18,230 fpm (66)

18,530 fpm (72)


18,040 fpm (72RD)
Dude I do not care what there site says, I am telling you my 60 and 72 are the same size pullies with basically the same engine so the tip speed is higher on the 72 and it is all stock, now I will go out and measure it again then apologize to you if you are correct. ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL , GODDD!
  #187  
Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 AM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,367
I love how these guys know more than the company that actually made and engineered the machine...so now not only do the Hustler reps know nothing the website and owners manual are also useless!!

Hustler you need to hire these guys asap!!! They took physics classes and mow at 15 mph on a smooth surface while taking less than an inch off!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
  #188  
Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Dude I do not care what there site says, I am telling you my 60 and 72 are the same size pullies with basically the same engine so the tip speed is higher on the 72 and it is all stock, now I will go out and measure it again then apologize to you if you are correct. ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL , GODDD!
It's obvious you don't care what the facts are from reading your posts that repeatedly fly in the face of what the manu's say. If you're gonna measure the pulleys, you need to make sure you measure ALL of them. Any change anywhere will alter the outcome of the BTS. Make sure you measure them acccurately too. A tape measure held up against a pulley on an angle is not very accurate.

I already agreed with you in my previous post that all things being exactly equal, the BTS of the 72 would be higher, but it's apparent from their published specs that Hustler did something to change the final BTS of the 72 to be a small bit below that of the 60.
  #189  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
It's obvious you don't care what the facts are from reading your posts that repeatedly fly in the face of what the manu's say. If you're gonna measure the pulleys, you need to make sure you measure ALL of them. Any change anywhere will alter the outcome of the BTS. Make sure you measure them acccurately too. A tape measure held up against a pulley on an angle is not very accurate.

I already agreed with you in my previous post that all things being exactly equal, the BTS of the 72 would be higher, but it's apparent from their published specs that Hustler did something to change the final BTS of the 72 to be a small bit below that of the 60.
I own a 60 and a 72 Super Z of the same variety, math and physics on this do not lie on this. If both have 30 Hp Kohlers which turn the same RPM and the pulleys are the same the tip speed is higher on the 72 regardless of what Hustler's site say's. People need to sometimes trust their own eyes and common judgement over what others tell them.

That is why America is in this predicament!
  #190  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Realslowww Realslowww is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melrose FL
Posts: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I love how these guys know more than the company that actually made and engineered the machine...so now not only do the Hustler reps know nothing the website and owners manual are also useless!!

Hustler you need to hire these guys asap!!! They took physics classes and mow at 15 mph on a smooth surface while taking less than an inch off!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
You don't know what you are talking about,enjoy your inferior Z.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.08399 seconds with 10 queries