Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Realslowww;4552113]One thing you can do is put smaller pullies on the blade spindles to speed them up, a 72 all things given are equal will have a faster tip speed over a 60.]

It would be a bad idea to create more blade tip speed by making the pulleys smaller, as you will get less torque to the blade & I have already loaded the blades up with thick grass to the point the engine bogged. This is with mulching kit and going very slow, obviously i needed to come up higher on deck which I did at that point. However In my experience I wouldnt be taking away any power from the blades, need that power there for all different conditions/situations in contract mowing.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Your a simple simon ,we need to get you enrolled in the physics class as well, the spindle pulleys on the deck make the same degree of rotation in the same time weather it is a 60 or a 72 all things being equal but the longer blade of the 72 covers more distance in that time making it have a faster tip speed. your analogy is flawed, Mr. Spock would find gaping defects in your logic.
.....and we have been over this too. Maybe if everything were exactly the same, same engine and rpm's exactly, same pulley sizes exactly, same deck drive belt exactly etc, the longer blade of the 72" would have the higher BTS. That isn't how it works though in the real world. The longer blade requires more HP to turn due to a couple different reason like blade weight, and generally slightly larger sails. The manu's don't ship them with the same exact deck pulleys and /or PTO pulley. They have to reduce the "gearing" so to speak of the longer blade to keep from loading down the engine below it's correct operating range. Like I have posted to you before, the 72"s usually have lower BTS's. A quick perusal through the manu's site's shows that.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This was lifted right from Hustler's site for the SZ

18,630 fpm (60)

18,630 fpm (60RD)

18,230 fpm (66)

18,530 fpm (72)

18,040 fpm (72RD)
Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Green. If you have another go, make sure there is 9 or 10 psi in the tires.
Run over that same yard/ruts that's in the vid, and take some vid. Be great to see a comparison.

You lot with ya blade tip/mow this fast or that........ Carry on! Ha
I'm havin a beer and going to a party. Catch ya's tomorrow!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
.....and we have been over this too. Maybe if everything were exactly the same, same engine and rpm's exactly, same pulley sizes exactly, same deck drive belt exactly etc, the longer blade of the 72" would have the higher BTS. That isn't how it works though in the real world. The longer blade requires more HP to turn due to a couple different reason like blade weight, and generally slightly larger sails. The manu's don't ship them with the same exact deck pulleys and /or PTO pulley. They have to reduce the "gearing" so to speak of the longer blade to keep from loading down the engine below it's correct operating range. Like I have posted to you before, the 72"s usually have lower BTS's. A quick perusal through the manu's site's shows that.
BULL CHIT my 72 n 60 run the same engine RPM and the same size deck pulley's and motor therefore they are the same. A 60 20 inch blade will have more torque and a 72 will have more tip speed that is the real difference. All the other stuff is hog wash, like I said all things being equal. I will tell you this a 72 Super in my opinion is superior to a 60 all things being equal.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
This was lifted right from Hustler's site for the SZ

18,630 fpm (60)

18,630 fpm (60RD)

18,230 fpm (66)

18,530 fpm (72)

18,040 fpm (72RD)
Dude I do not care what there site says, I am telling you my 60 and 72 are the same size pullies with basically the same engine so the tip speed is higher on the 72 and it is all stock, now I will go out and measure it again then apologize to you if you are correct. ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL , GODDD!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I love how these guys know more than the company that actually made and engineered the machine...so now not only do the Hustler reps know nothing the website and owners manual are also useless!!

Hustler you need to hire these guys asap!!! They took physics classes and mow at 15 mph on a smooth surface while taking less than an inch off!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-12-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Dude I do not care what there site says, I am telling you my 60 and 72 are the same size pullies with basically the same engine so the tip speed is higher on the 72 and it is all stock, now I will go out and measure it again then apologize to you if you are correct. ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL , GODDD!
It's obvious you don't care what the facts are from reading your posts that repeatedly fly in the face of what the manu's say. If you're gonna measure the pulleys, you need to make sure you measure ALL of them. Any change anywhere will alter the outcome of the BTS. Make sure you measure them acccurately too. A tape measure held up against a pulley on an angle is not very accurate.

I already agreed with you in my previous post that all things being exactly equal, the BTS of the 72 would be higher, but it's apparent from their published specs that Hustler did something to change the final BTS of the 72 to be a small bit below that of the 60.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It's obvious you don't care what the facts are from reading your posts that repeatedly fly in the face of what the manu's say. If you're gonna measure the pulleys, you need to make sure you measure ALL of them. Any change anywhere will alter the outcome of the BTS. Make sure you measure them acccurately too. A tape measure held up against a pulley on an angle is not very accurate.

I already agreed with you in my previous post that all things being exactly equal, the BTS of the 72 would be higher, but it's apparent from their published specs that Hustler did something to change the final BTS of the 72 to be a small bit below that of the 60.
I own a 60 and a 72 Super Z of the same variety, math and physics on this do not lie on this. If both have 30 Hp Kohlers which turn the same RPM and the pulleys are the same the tip speed is higher on the 72 regardless of what Hustler's site say's. People need to sometimes trust their own eyes and common judgement over what others tell them.

That is why America is in this predicament!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I love how these guys know more than the company that actually made and engineered the machine...so now not only do the Hustler reps know nothing the website and owners manual are also useless!!

Hustler you need to hire these guys asap!!! They took physics classes and mow at 15 mph on a smooth surface while taking less than an inch off!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
You don't know what you are talking about,enjoy your inferior Z.
Closed Thread