Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

winter app after sod

Ok I will keep them on a every other day cycle. What about the winter step fertilizer ?
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is no cycle to keep the sod on... it is not going to die back in 2 or 3 days when you can barely reach 65 degrees for a couple of hours in the heat of the day... every other day,,, serves no purpose,,, but irrigating when needed does...

It all depends on your individual situation... you can't just follow opinions from people who've never set eyes on this lawn... what is your situation??? are you aware of what kind of soil you're on and what the roots are actually doing under the grass???

My comments are based on my experiences of roots setting down in the first week, this time of year... irrigation reduced during the following week as long as it is so cool and damp... once freezing overnite begins the roots will be the most actively growing and water will puddle at the surface, becuz our topsoil doesn't breathe well...

So we must allow more drying time in order for our soil to 'breathe'... if it doesn't 'breathe' the roots will tend to grow up in order to reach air and the 'living thatch' problem begins b4 the turf even establishes... that is why it is necessary to learn the 'ins and outs' of your own situation...

if we are dealing with our 'native sand' we could run irrigation right up until the ground freezes and still have more 'breathing than drinking' going on in the turf...