Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You are using a trash pump for equinox , you will blow yourself up .Without getting into detail did you ever consider what static electricity can do . Those that spray that use a small gear pump and a pressure washer wand . Just last week I was at the gas station and one of those guys was pumping GASOLINE into his "sealer" tank . he was right next to me , 40 gallons gas , 15 gallons "sealer" .

Nitro have you ever been to the seaboard plant?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't been to the plant.....

I just found that company online and started asking questions...and then found out they sell through my local Sherman Williams. So:

1. I shouldn't spray the gilsonite??
Probably right...I just never heard that before on all my on-line research. I mean, I can spray the AE and squeegee the gilsonite. No problem.

2. I don't plan on diluting my stuff. Everyone gives gilsonite a bad rap....but when it's not cut down to nothing, it looks good and seems to do the job great. I'm even offering to my customers that I'll prepare the product onsite...so they know they aren't getting ripped off.

3. To everyone who wants to jump in this biz. I have door magnets, yards signs, grass customers, and fliers out. NOT ONE call yet!! So it's not a quick biz to start...at least not here in Va....where all the gov't workers and contractors have money. I thought it would take right off.....maybe in the spring.

Thanks and keep the tips/suggestions and information coming.

Peace
Old 09-23-2010, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya your at the end of the season right now, not the best. In my opinion its like any other business, no one will call you, YOU need to go out there and find your work, can't just rely on those marketing stuff and sit down all day and waiting for phone calls.
Complete lawn care services
Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Gas?!?!?!

Don't know ANYTHING about Gilsonite please explain adding GAS to SEALER. That's got to be like building a bomb
Old 09-01-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That stuff is a rejuvenate it doesn't seal the surface it adds the oils back to the asphalt. You need to talk to a supplier to find out what you will need to do spray this material. I just had a gypsy spray this stuff over a job I did with a weed sprayer a few months back, He knocked on their door and asked about the driveway my customer mentioned my name and he said he was following up for me and sprayed over my job. She calls me and I said no not from me, told her to get his card and I will be there in 10 min. I caught him there with his helper and confronted him. I asked him how he got my name? He started stumbling his words and was going to charge her $460. I told her in front of him not to pay him he is a fraud and we will contact the state da. and report a non registered scamming contractor, I have your card and your tag #. So we did that and the da. is working on it and she also started a civil suit against him for damaged done to my job by spraying over it. Just saying around here guy's that spray that are considered a gypsy.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gilsonite is basically paint , if put down with a squeege , or sprayed too thick it can melt the asphalt . why do they add gasoline ? Simple it goes 3 times as far and drys faster .