Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used to have a pair of hearing protectors that had both a radio with mp3 jack and stereo microphones so you could listen to music and still hear what was going on around you. You could mute the music with the touch of a button and also balance between hearing your surroundings and the music. I could actually hear better with them on than with them off...they amplify quite noises while cutting out loud ones. They were really nice when working near traffic. The model I had has been discontinued but they still make similar ones. You can even get them with 2-way radios so that your crew can communicate with eachother. http://peltorcomms.3m.com/Americas/P...Product_Id=378
Old 10-13-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't recommend it, condone it, do it, or ever think about it.

I'm also a musician and love music.

I'm not on properties long enough to bother and have too much to think about as I am going across the lawn that either has to do with that lawn, or the next lawn, or the next day, or next week.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Don't recommend it, condone it, do it, or ever think about it.

I'm also a musician and love music.

I'm not on properties long enough to bother and have too much to think about as I am going across the lawn that either has to do with that lawn, or the next lawn, or the next day, or next week.
You are a wise man, I suspect you were First in line whe it came to Common Sence.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I can't talk about being legal over there with you guys, but we always listen to music while working. Why? First of all the difference between a regular headphone and one that plays music isn't that big (i mean that you still can't hear a lot with a quality pair of regular headphones). Second my music helps me to relax and make less mistakes (otherwise i would really get nervous of hearing my ztr engine every minute the day or listening to the sound of my hedge trimmer every day). Third reason goes with the second reason, more productivity when you are relaxed. And fourth reason, it helps me to ignore annoying customers (sorry, i didn't hear you sir/madam). btw that last one was a joke
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Sponsor

Is it legal in Belgium to operate equipment while listening to music or a radio?, via a set of ear bibs or headphones? How about when your driving a car or truck?.
I know when I was in the UK last month for the APF Show I was warned about driving and talking on the phone. Automatic 100£ fine. I also suspect that Health and Safety in Belgium would have restrictions for distracted use of said equipment while listening to a radio or music.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-13-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Never heard about a regulation about headphone use while working. When you drive a car on the other hand and you just hold a cellphone in your hands, you get a fine. You also get fined when using earbuds while driving (no problem for me because you should be able to hear sirens immediately while driving). But i've never heard of a regulation on earbuds or headphones while working.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Sponsor

I don't know for sure myself, however as powerful as H&s is and being part of the EU, nothing would surprise me.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

my general rule is that they can, so long as it is not to loud. If I walk up behind them and say something to them, they better hear me. If they don't the ipod guys back in the truck. While running equipment on an install the operator wears a set of hearing protection with a built in 2way radio. The ones we have are nice, they have a mp3 jack. If someone begins to talk over the 2way the mp3 jack is automaticaly muted. I couldn't work all day in my skid or mini ex without listening to the radio.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like the construction comparison. Go to any equipment dealer and see how many units come standard with a radio. Also I can't translate the difference between hearing protection vs. the same protection producing musc? They still muffle the same decible level so that rules out the inability to hear background noise. I wear earbuds and I can hear just as much, and am just as attentive as if I were wearing just earplugs. Also the insurance company is going to find something wrong to dispute your claim no matter how you run things.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hate forgetting my headphones. The Skull candy headphones work well to block out noise. I'm with the guys who say it's ok. Obviously you have to pay attention to your surroundings, but you do anyway being as some equipment (ZTRs, WBs, backpack blowers, etc....) is so loud you can't hear what's going on anyway. The problem that I could see is if you have a guy (or girl) who is constantly fiddling with their iphone/ipod/mp3 changing songs and what not.
18x8 flat bed w/custom removable gates and racks
2006 Great Dane Surfer 19/52
2002 eXmark Viking 36 hydro
2008 Hustler FasTrak Mini 17/36
eXmark Metro 26
2011 Honda HRC216HXA
Shindaiwa T242
Echo SRM-230
RedMax BCZ2450T
Shindaiwa Multi-tool
Shindaiwa EB802RT
Echo PB-755ST