Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm part time & mow 1/2 day Sat & all day Sun. My clients I mow on Sun don't have a problem but I also don't start til 10am on Sun. I have one that has HOA bylaw (SP?) That states no lawn work on Sun, even home owners are not allowed doing lawn maintenance on Sun. So she gets mowed on Sat or Fri after I get off work, if they are callin for rain on Sat. I am sound engineer for classic rock band, so that is what I do from 1-7pm on Sat. If they are calling for rain Sun I will skip band rehersal on Sat & mow all day. If I get unexpected rain while mowing Sun I have had to finish Mon after work, sometimes Tues. All my clients know the situation & if I don't get them on reg scheduled day, I will be there the next day or 2 after my full time job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with the comments on the mowers. If you plan on running them more then a few hours a week don't expect them to last very long.Also in your OP you were asking what other equipment you will need. leaf blower is a must, it will save you time when it comes to raking leaves and sweeping clippings of driveways,walkways,etc. Hedgetrimmer if you plan on providing that service and bed turning I'd suggest a stihl km90r multi tool. works great for hedge trimming another time saver and less ladder work and get the tilling head for the bed turning. That might be more service then you want to provide but if your costumers want it you will have the tools to get the job done. Plus providing those services aswell can justify charging a higher price. good luck
Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Start off with the best you can afford. You need a hedger, and blower and maybe a edger for now. One thing I learned about this business and I learned it the hard way (by being cheap) is not to bring a sling shot to a gun fight. You already have a good trimmer look into the stihl kombi setups or even cheaper but still good the echo pas setup. I strongly encourage not to get anything less than an echo but stihl will be the best. Stay away from troybilt, homelite, black and decker. They wont hold up for too long. You can also look on craigslist for a used trailer or anything you need.
5 x 8 to 5 x 10 open trailers are good for now. There is a lot to learn but having the right equipment will make things easier and quicker for you as you go along. There are people out there with worse stuff than you and getting by so if all you have is the toro mower keep it up well until you have enough money to upgrade. Don't bite more than you can chew and learn to do your own repairs and maintenance and do it regularly. If you are serious about this write a business plan as to were you want this to go and make short term goals and then long term goals.
To get clients the best way is to learn how to advertise online. I do that and get 2 to 5 phones calls a week. Learn about SEO's. Google "SEO".
36" Walk behind bobcat Mower with sulky.
Echo/stihl stuff
5 by 10 trailer.
Commercial Pesticide License#:19195
and a little bit of JESUS

www.islandlawnandpressure.com

Don't Quit Try Harder!!

Last edited by kebrowns; 10-13-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Use cash. Don't buy anything for this part-time business on credit.

Buy a good quality trailer. A 6x10 will be plenty big. A good trailer is something you can keep for life, whether you mow part time or not.

As you replace equipment, replace it with good quaility commercial grade equipment. Our first mower was a home-owner John Deere zero turn. We got 500 hours out of it and that was about all we would see. We would run home-owner 21" mowers and would get about a year out of them. Now everything on our trailer is commercial, and I can tell you it is well worth the money.