Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Echo Edger, PE-230 Problem

It will not accelerate although idles fine and doesn't stall out. Air and fuel filters are clean, exhaust port clean and spark screen has been removed. Spark plug has been replaced. I removed the fuel vent while running but no change in performance. I noticed the fuel bulb is full now but don't remember seeing this bulb full while running on my other equipment The carb is the non-adjustable type other for than idle. This problem occurred all at once. It was running fine upon last use and then after sitting for one week, the problem started immediately upon start up. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a secondary fuel filter (tiny screen) inside the carb...its smaller than the tip of a pencil eraser...try gently cleaning it with carb cleaner...while its apart clean jets as well...run a small wire thru all ports/jets (we use the wire from bread ties) it seems to fit all the ports...just gently poke and pull wire thru flow holes and spray with cleaner...DO NOT REMOVE THE SMALL FILTER SCREEN they are very fragile and will not be re used if removed....

Last edited by MR-G; 10-14-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
There is a secondary fuel filter (tiny screen) inside the carb...its smaller than the tip of a pencil eraser...try gently cleaning it with carb cleaner...while its apart clean jets as well...run a small wire thru all ports/jets (we use the wire from bread ties) it seems to fit all the ports...just gently poke and pull wire thru flow holes and spray with cleaner...DO NOT REMOVE THE SMALL FILTER SCREEN they are very fragile and will not be re used if removed....
Thanks. Anything else I can check before ordering a kit and rebuilding the carb?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would try a good cleaning as said before a rebuild...just be carful with the diaphram and make sure all goes back correctly...wd-40 will also help keep diaphram/seals ect. from dry rotting or stiffening which is why most carbs need a rebuild...
Old 10-14-2012, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks MR-G!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I cleaned the carb and noticed there was some sand residue when applying carb cleaner and though perhaps that was the problem. I also replaced all fuel lines, fuel filter, and fuel vent as well as replaced the spark plug as it was time to do so. Unfortunately, the no acceleration problem is still there. Any other ideas?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Possibly some applicable help in this thread!??

I would encourage you to read thru this thread and see if any of the information contained there might be helpful/applicable to your problem.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=326790

I will get pictures posted up in the next day or two to provide better visual reference as it was a bit of a challenge to me in finding the "hidden" hi-speed adjustment screw.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tip and pics would help as I have no idea where the adj. would be. The carb is a Zama, RB K66B.

http://www.zamacarb.com/images/diagrams2/rb.gif
Old 10-18-2012, 05:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Check out these pictures......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jud149 View Post
Thanks for the tip and pics would help as I have no idea where the adj. would be. The carb is a Zama, RB K66B.

http://www.zamacarb.com/images/diagrams2/rb.gif
I finally got the pictures uploaded to my Photobucket account and made a post on the SRM260 thread. Here is a link; http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=15 .

I hope there is some similarity in carburetor design and that you can find the high-speed adjustment screw on your PE-230. I'll be interested in hearing what you find out and that you can get your machine running as good or better than it did before.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLRN View Post
I finally got the pictures uploaded to my Photobucket account and made a post on the SRM260 thread. Here is a link; http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=15 .

I hope there is some similarity in carburetor design and that you can find the high-speed adjustment screw on your PE-230. I'll be interested in hearing what you find out and that you can get your machine running as good or better than it did before.
Thanks so much for the pics. I truly appreciate your help. As it turns out, my carb, RB-K66b, is non-adjustable as it has a fixed jet and is different from the one in your pics. This I learned from discussions with a Zama engineer..

After explaining the problem to him, he said he was certain it was a restriction causing the non-acceleration issue. He went on to explain how to clean the jets for both the high and low circuits which he gave about a 50% chance of fixing the problem, and if it didn't cure it, a new carb was about the only solution, he added.

I asked about an adjustable carb replacement, and after a little research, he suggested the RB K75, a direct bolt on which would also provide a little more power. They're on Ebay new for about $45 with shipping.

If you refer to the carb schematic I provide above, the fixed jet is no. 18, and 21 and 30 being the plug and its o-ring. On some Zama carbs, this is where the high adjustment is. On my carb, the primer base, no. 12, must be removed to access the plug which merely slips out after base removal. As I quickly found out when trying to adjust my carb, the engine will not run with the plug removed.

If anyone has any questions regarding any info here, please let me know. And thanks again XPLRN. jud149@bellsouth.net

I'll update my progress.

Last edited by jud149; 10-18-2012 at 09:00 AM.