Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-01-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBT View Post
Sounds like you don't need the extra guy.
maybe he is not trimming all he should be? Even on my small accounts I love to have someone with me doing the trim and blow. Jobs that it takes me 40 min to do alone I can usually knock out in 15-20 with someone with me.

If you properties really don't have much trimming to take care of I would put him to work in other ways.....selling more products to the customer? Passing out fliers to the neighbors, ect
Old 06-02-2012, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is my 6th season and the biggest mistake I make still, is the money I spend on equipment that is really not necessary. With just the two of you it might be better to get up to at least 50 solid accounts and then another similar walk behind is absolutely necessary, but for now i'd sock your money away so that if something breaks down you can go straight out and get what you need to get back to work.

Tough decisions to make but even if we make a mistake we generally learn a lot more from them than if we just held back. So what ever you decide, you will do just fine if you keep hard at it.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

just found a 52" scag pro-v with a 23hp kaw with 438 hours on it. $1500
Any thoughts?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you waited until the right mower came a long. I hope that Biz is picking up so that you can put your help and equipment to good use.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrdc View Post
maybe he is not trimming all he should be? Even on my small accounts I love to have someone with me doing the trim and blow. Jobs that it takes me 40 min to do alone I can usually knock out in 15-20 with someone with me.

If you properties really don't have much trimming to take care of I would put him to work in other ways.....selling more products to the customer? Passing out fliers to the neighbors, ect
I can't agree more with this. That extra time should be spent trying to grow your business in the neighborhoods you already service.

Start by just doing the "4x4" routine. That is knocking on doors and putting out door hangers to the 2 houses to the left of your customer, 2 houses to the right, and the 4 across the street. Then slowly expand out from there.

You should also check in with your customers to make sure everything is going well. This will help promote customer referrals. It also gives you a change for those upsells!

Use that time wisely and start to grow...
Old 07-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Sponsor

I'm not sure if you are doing or have done any advertising, but if you are in the market for any door hangers or direct mail or even just business cards, you should check out A'Deas Printing. We have some innovative ideas and great ways to keep you piece with the customer and not in the trash or in the yard. Have have some specials going on now on our door hangers and even some on direct mail. Our website is www.adeasprinting.com. If you want any more info or have any questions let me know, my name is Glenda and my number is 1-866-778-4254 or my email is glenda@adeasprinting.com, give me a call or shoot me an email any time!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I am currently trying to expand my client base... unfortunately with everyone and there brother doing the lawn service that can be difficult. Does anyone have anthing that has worked well for them?