Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
In all seriousness, I believe liability would fall on me since the customer issued the warning in the beginning. If he wasn't warning people of possible dangers on his property, then it'd be different I'd imagine.
Actually, it's probably the contrary. The customer has acknowledged that he has a "dangerous animal" on his property and failed to take reasonable measures to protect people from it, i.e. keeping it caged. This is similar to cases where people put up "beware of dog signs" and their dog bites someone. The sign can be used as evidence that they were aware they had a dangerous dog.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 PM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Actually, it's probably the contrary. The customer has acknowledged that he has a "dangerous animal" on his property and failed to take reasonable measures to protect people from it, i.e. keeping it caged. This is similar to cases where people put up "beware of dog signs" and their dog bites someone. The sign can be used as evidence that they were aware they had a dangerous dog.
Yeah, I've noticed that the wording has changed. I just saw a sign that reads "Dog on Premises". Probably just vague enough to avoid such legal stupidity.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-14-2012, 03:05 PM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
I'm no law expert but I was and still am under the impression the beware of dog sign protects the owner should someone get bitten on the property.

the argument of you saw and red the sign and still chose to enter the property applies nicely.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I'm no law expert but I was and still am under the impression the beware of dog sign protects the owner should someone get bitten on the property.

the argument of you saw and red the sign and still chose to enter the property applies nicely.
In many places you are held strictly liable for any injury or damage your animals cause anyway, so it would make little difference. Having a "Beware of" sign would not change that.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Jason Rose's Avatar
Jason Rose Jason Rose is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 5,777
I was mortified one day when I overheard my helper telling a customer that their dog was one of those "football dogs" that he could just punt across the yard if it came out and tried to nip at his heels. I don't know what my customer thought about that but I informed him it was NOT cool to tell anyone you would kick their pet! This guy usually has a bad time knowing how to control his verbal diarrea and is most likely why he's never held any job in his life for very long. Only reason he's still with me is because he shows up on time every day and hasn't missed a day all year!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 PM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Things you SHOULDN'T say to the customer

"Are those REAL?!!!"
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-14-2012, 10:32 PM
Darryl G Darryl G is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 7,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
"Are those REAL?!!!"
What are we gonna do with you?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 PM
zechstoker's Avatar
zechstoker zechstoker is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 975
Not that this is entirely relevant here, but today I got in a fight with a customer's neighbor's pitbull. Stupid dog hopped the fence, and charged at me while I was line trimming the front yard. Sure enough, it wanted to tango, so it got busted in the mouth with the line trimmer at WOT.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 PM
zechstoker's Avatar
zechstoker zechstoker is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
Not that this is entirely relevant here, but today I got in a fight with a customer's neighbor's pitbull. Stupid dog hopped the fence, and charged at me while I was line trimming the front yard. Sure enough, it wanted to tango, so it got busted in the mouth with the line trimmer at WOT.
Posted via Mobile Device
I should also note that I went back to the neighbor's house later when it was safe, and told her exactly what had happened. Told her that I cut the dog's face with the line trimmer, and to my surprise, she wasn't upset at all. She was very understanding, and said she would've done the same thing if she was in my position. After all was said and done, animal control has been contacted, and they're going to head out there to deal with the dog and its owner. Hopefully this gets resolved, and there's not another incident.
__________________
Zech Stoker
est. 1983
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM
gmlm gmlm is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: locust, nc
Posts: 115
really?

dont think your out of line for what you said....
'
although....really??? it was a rooster...suck it up sally! i would trade a rooster for a copperhead any day!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 AM.

Page generated in 0.09036 seconds with 9 queries