Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2012, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
In all seriousness, I believe liability would fall on me since the customer issued the warning in the beginning. If he wasn't warning people of possible dangers on his property, then it'd be different I'd imagine.
Actually, it's probably the contrary. The customer has acknowledged that he has a "dangerous animal" on his property and failed to take reasonable measures to protect people from it, i.e. keeping it caged. This is similar to cases where people put up "beware of dog signs" and their dog bites someone. The sign can be used as evidence that they were aware they had a dangerous dog.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Actually, it's probably the contrary. The customer has acknowledged that he has a "dangerous animal" on his property and failed to take reasonable measures to protect people from it, i.e. keeping it caged. This is similar to cases where people put up "beware of dog signs" and their dog bites someone. The sign can be used as evidence that they were aware they had a dangerous dog.
Yeah, I've noticed that the wording has changed. I just saw a sign that reads "Dog on Premises". Probably just vague enough to avoid such legal stupidity.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm no law expert but I was and still am under the impression the beware of dog sign protects the owner should someone get bitten on the property.

the argument of you saw and red the sign and still chose to enter the property applies nicely.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I'm no law expert but I was and still am under the impression the beware of dog sign protects the owner should someone get bitten on the property.

the argument of you saw and red the sign and still chose to enter the property applies nicely.
In many places you are held strictly liable for any injury or damage your animals cause anyway, so it would make little difference. Having a "Beware of" sign would not change that.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was mortified one day when I overheard my helper telling a customer that their dog was one of those "football dogs" that he could just punt across the yard if it came out and tried to nip at his heels. I don't know what my customer thought about that but I informed him it was NOT cool to tell anyone you would kick their pet! This guy usually has a bad time knowing how to control his verbal diarrea and is most likely why he's never held any job in his life for very long. Only reason he's still with me is because he shows up on time every day and hasn't missed a day all year!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Things you SHOULDN'T say to the customer

"Are those REAL?!!!"
Old 10-14-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
"Are those REAL?!!!"
What are we gonna do with you?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not that this is entirely relevant here, but today I got in a fight with a customer's neighbor's pitbull. Stupid dog hopped the fence, and charged at me while I was line trimming the front yard. Sure enough, it wanted to tango, so it got busted in the mouth with the line trimmer at WOT.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
Not that this is entirely relevant here, but today I got in a fight with a customer's neighbor's pitbull. Stupid dog hopped the fence, and charged at me while I was line trimming the front yard. Sure enough, it wanted to tango, so it got busted in the mouth with the line trimmer at WOT.
Posted via Mobile Device
I should also note that I went back to the neighbor's house later when it was safe, and told her exactly what had happened. Told her that I cut the dog's face with the line trimmer, and to my surprise, she wasn't upset at all. She was very understanding, and said she would've done the same thing if she was in my position. After all was said and done, animal control has been contacted, and they're going to head out there to deal with the dog and its owner. Hopefully this gets resolved, and there's not another incident.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

really?

dont think your out of line for what you said....
'
although....really??? it was a rooster...suck it up sally! i would trade a rooster for a copperhead any day!