Register free!

Old 10-13-2012, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bifen xts oil based

Anyone see any advantages of using the oil based version over the other version? Is there more of a residual as time goes by? Do you think the application is just as even as the non oil based formulation? I would have to assume that the oil based version does not mix as good than the other version. And I'm not sure what the affect of adding soap to the mixture would do. I would imagine more oil water seperation.

Talking about ants here. I have the oil based but just saw they have an alternate version. I have had good results and no issues using what I use now. Just wondering.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They use a superior horticultural oil not motor oil or vegetable oil.

It mixes with water just fine.

Check the label or run a small sample teat if you have compatibility concerns.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I never had an issue mixing that I could see visually or from treatments. So the oil based probably has a slightly longer risidual being the only difference between the two?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about that.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only real concern for the oil based product is drought and/or heat.
During drought and/or heat any oil based product has a higher potential to burn turf or soft leaf flowering plants.

Also a higher potential to stain if used inside.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
The only real concern for the oil based product is drought and/or heat.
During drought and/or heat any oil based product has a higher potential to burn turf or soft leaf flowering plants.

Also a higher potential to stain if used inside.
Posted via Mobile Device
I believe once again you are sadly mistaken about the potentical of Bifen XTS to burn Plants. Bifen XTS is what real Professional Pesticide applicator call 4th generation chemistry. Talstar or Cross check has an AI of 7.9% of Bifenthrin. Talstar's rate for ants or chinch bugs is applied at a High rate of 44 oz per acre or a low rate 22 oz per acre at low rate. Bifen XTS has a AI of Bifenthrin of 25.1% or a High rate of 6 oz per acre or 3 oz per acre low rate for ants and Chinch Bugs.

Now even if you only applied Half a Gallon of carrier or 22 gallons per acre. There is no way 6 oz per acre of a Oil based (esters) Bifen XTS is going to burn plants. High rate on Shrubs is 0.128 oz per gallon or a 1 % solution which once again is not going to burn.

My cost per quart of Bifen XTS purchased by the case is $ 25.00 a quart. A quart of BIFEN XTS at low rate will Control 10 acres of Fire ants.

The only disadvantage to Bifen XTS is it is not labeled for inside structural Pest Control. Talstar & Cross Check are labeled for inside applications.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not to hijack but curious on your fire ant control at 22 gallons per acre carrier and 3 oz bifinthrin. Many people I've talked with say at least 2 gallons carrier. If low volume woul work I'm already set up for that and the fire ants are here!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I believe once again you are sadly mistaken about the potentical of Bifen XTS to burn Plants. Bifen XTS is what real Professional Pesticide applicator call 4th generation chemistry. Talstar or Cross check has an AI of 7.9% of Bifenthrin. Talstar's rate for ants or chinch bugs is applied at a High rate of 44 oz per acre or a low rate 22 oz per acre at low rate. Bifen XTS has a AI of Bifenthrin of 25.1% or a High rate of 6 oz per acre or 3 oz per acre low rate for ants and Chinch Bugs.

Now even if you only applied Half a Gallon of carrier or 22 gallons per acre. There is no way 6 oz per acre of a Oil based (esters) Bifen XTS is going to burn plants. High rate on Shrubs is 0.128 oz per gallon or a 1 % solution which once again is not going to burn.

My cost per quart of Bifen XTS purchased by the case is $ 25.00 a quart. A quart of BIFEN XTS at low rate will Control 10 acres of Fire ants.

The only disadvantage to Bifen XTS is it is not labeled for inside structural Pest Control. Talstar & Cross Check are labeled for inside applications.

Xylene is well known for its potential to damage(burn) if not properly applied... so I'm not, dead wrong!
Yes xts is lower but when xylene is involved the potential exist.

IMO...If you believe you can sucessfuly deliver evenly, 3oz let alone 6oz of xts to an ACRE of turf area and accomplish successful, even molecule distribution and guarantee complete coverage. I believe you have a superiority complex.

Or can you not help being a JACKASS at times.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Haven't looked at the label but is there enough horticultural oil in this bifen to work as a dormant spray on shrubs?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Xylene is well known for its potential to damage(burn) if not properly applied... so I'm not, dead wrong!
Yes xts is lower but when xylene is involved the potential exist.

IMO...If you believe you can sucessfuly deliver evenly, 3oz let alone 6oz of xts to an ACRE of turf area and accomplish successful, even molecule distribution and guarantee complete coverage. I believe you have a superiority complex.

Or can you not help being a JACKASS at times.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not only do I have a Degree in Soil and Plant Science from the U of F, I taught Materials Calculation at a Florida State run College. I have the credentials that say I know what I am talking about.

I sorry but you Really don't have a clue do you. For years Farmer have use burnt motor oil as surfactant without burning crops because of the low Percentage of oil in the solution. While xylene is a Hydrocarbon, it isn't used in 4th generation chemistry like it was in former formulas. But to better explain what a ESTER FORMULATION is please Follow this Link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ester

Most Certified pesticide applicators READ, UNDERSTAND and FOLLOW THE LABEL. Since I am a Professional I do just that. I could care less what your opinion is since your above statement shows you don't read or believe the Bifen XTS label.

HAVE A NICE DAY

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.