Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-14-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl FS90R, Dolmar MS-245.4 C or Shindaiwa T242

I am hitting some resellers with some end of season sales and I have narrowed it down to these trimmers and need some advice. My gut feel is that the Dolmar is the best fit for me, but everyone always raves about Stihl and Shindaiwa.

I am looking at getting a string trimmer that will also accept a blade for taking down small sassafras saplings and wild raspberry bushes. It sounds like any of these would be fine but don't want to have buyers remorse after the purchase.

Thanks for any help here.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out the Stihl Kombi---it is the same engine as the FS and you can have a dedicated trimmer that will run a blade if you need too. Lots of attachments.

I have the Kombi 90 and it works well for me. The 4 mix sounds like a Ducati instead of a rice rocket, pretty cool sounding. I have the trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge shears, carbon fiber extension and the curved shaft edger. Saw works good after you sharpen the blade and file the depth gauges a little lower for more agressive bite. Not rying to sell you on the Kombi as the FS 90R will do equally well for trimming and brush cutting.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

The Shindy T-242 is awesome.....a TON of power....light and quiet.....comes in a M or combi system too!

No Dolmar in our area but my biggest concern, if I were you, would be parts and service support....not near as good as Shindy or Stihl...
Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

In my opinion the Fs 90r is the best out of the grass trimmers you listed. I mainly say this out of personal experience with the 90r and shindaiwa. I have never used the Dolmar. But Stihl products have always been extremely reliable for me, and I have 2 Stihl dealers within 10 miles of my house.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

shindaiwa t242 is the way to go. It will run till the fat lady sings.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I held a STIHL FS 90R this weekend, and compared to my Shin, ii was a little heavier. Also, the Shin puts out heaps of power for 23.9 CC.

As of the STIHL, I am not sure of power.

All I know is, the 4-mix sounds cool, and is a little bit heaver than the Shindaiwa 2-cycle.

I have never used Dolmar.

Click here for my work thread
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well

Last edited by kawasaki guy; 10-14-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVENS LAWNCARE View Post
The Shindy T-242 is awesome.....a TON of power....light and quiet.....comes in a M or combi system too!

No Dolmar in our area but my biggest concern, if I were you, would be parts and service support....not near as good as Shindy or Stihl...
True
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_mower View Post
shindaiwa t242 is the way to go. It will run till the fat lady sings.
true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam's Mowing View Post
In my opinion the Fs 90r is the best out of the grass trimmers you listed. I mainly say this out of personal experience with the 90r and shindaiwa. I have never used the Dolmar. But Stihl products have always been extremely reliable for me, and I have 2 Stihl dealers within 10 miles of my house.
In the 4-mix stihl (like the FS90R) you have to adjust the valves eery 125 hours or so

Click here for my work thread
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 10-14-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Dealer seems to be pushing the dolmar because of the bottom end torque of the 4 cycle, but I am wondering since I already use two cycle equipment it would be easier to use the premix instead of straight gas and remembering to check oil on 4 cycle.

No one seems to bash the shindaiwa at all, but it seems like the stihl have a love them or hate them following. People who like stihl are very loyal, but then there are others who hate them and say they are unreliable, especially the 4 mix, but it seems like most of those problems are from when they first came out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Big question can the Dolmar 4 cycle be flipped upside down for edging? The separate oil reservoir part make me wonder?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

According to this thread it can be run upside down, although it seemed he had trouble at first because he said he overfilled oil.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351323

Only issue the dealer said was it had to stored right side up or hung with motor on top, otherwise oil runs into cylinder and you have to remove plug and drain it.

Dolmar unit comes with blade kit included for $279, Shin is $249 without blade kit and that runs $60 from what I am told. Not sure what is needed on the Stihl $319, maybe someone can shed some light on what is needed to add a blade to it.