Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-06-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree also don't start off by being cheap make a name for quality then you can get paid more than the other companies
People don't always focus on price most of my customers focus on quality and the biggest thing is customer support I call back everybody the same day if there was a problem dead plant etc. I fix the problem ASAP we are in a service industry and that is the key great service. Price customers come and go look for the customers who want great service and supply it to them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You hope you remember everything? Bring a clipboard and write it down!

Sounds like you're over your head and best to no-bid it until you have the knowledge/experience to do it properly.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Sponsor

We got our first really big job

Great job. There is a lot to think about but it can be simple to get more big jobs by using the AccuLawnSystems.com method. If you do postcards or door hangers, I would advise you to drive business to you website and give instant online quotes. We did close to 1000 bids and received over 200 new contracts this past spring in just 2 zip codes using postcards and door hangers and instant online quotes. Customers simply type in their address and get a quote in seconds. Then they can sign up right then and there. The best thing is that we did not waste time on manual measurements and did not waste money on fuel. Check out how this is possible at acculawnsystems.com. Furthermore, we are offering this system to only one LCO per area. So once a LCO signs up for the area we will not be able to offer this technology to any other LCO in that area. This is a huge advantage to the LCO that is able to use this method in their area to gain new customers. Also, the LCO will be the only one posted as a provider on acculawncare.com. Check to see if your area is available by going to acculawnsystems.com and reserve your spot today. Also, there is no risk with a free 30 day trial with no obligation.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Sponsor

We got our first really big job

If you do not have a website to drive customers to, that's ok because we give you one when you sign up for acculawnsystems.com. Customers can go directly to your website and get and instant online quote based on you pricing. Only one LCO per area and they are going fast. See if your area is still available and receive a 30 day free trial with no obligation. Acculawnsystems.com and Acculawncare.com.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog1 View Post
I agree. If I priced my jobs like ponyboy, I would be out of work in short order. With all due respect, whatever works for him is good. In my area, adding an extra $100 per truck for fuel when all you may be doing is driving down the street 2 blocks and back may cause me to loose the bid? I hope he means he does this when the truck(s) will be running all day back and forth and he takes each case under consideration?

You MUST make $$ to survive. IMHO, you want to make a buck and not rip people off in the process (No, ponyboy is NOT ripping anybody off- he is pricing according to his needs and market). When I first started, I had a bad habit of under pricing my jobs because I always felt that I was over charging and I wanted to be fair. What I learned is that you have to be fair to the customer AND fair to yourself. Once you find that point, you will be fine.

Yes, there will be jobs that some people will not take your bid because they felt it cost to much. If that happens? you don't want to work for them anyway, as the low budget people will ALWAYS be the biggest PITA customer out there.
I m not in business to survive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$125 to pressure wash an 8 car driveway? Screw that.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler7692 View Post
$125 to pressure wash an 8 car driveway? Screw that.
800 bucks right there.100 bucks a car. Time, wear and tear and washer, chemicals, gas, insurance....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
We are working on our biggest job this year of $250,000 and have 3 more signed contracts
I automatically add $100 a day per truck for fuel and I know my expenses per crew and what profit I need to make per day
You can make money at a lower price but you want to run a company or buy your self a job you need to make enough money for days when you don't have work also
Posted via Mobile Device
^^^^ This ^^^^

I do not price my trucks based on $100 a day for gas but I do have an hourly cost for all the expenses and it is not much different.

Do not install weed block from HD either as it is garbage compared to a nice heavy # 5 fabric. I do not use fabric under mulch. I use it under rock but not mulch. Just use more mulch to block the weeds.

$25.00 an hour is a loser game and you will not make it.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post

$25.00 an hour is a loser game and you will not make it.
^^could not agree more. However if you feel your time and quality is worth 25 an hr then price it that way. Just keep in mind that your setting the name of your company to customers as the cheap guy and looking like a thieving low balling arse hole to your competition. Keep your customers close and your competition closer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-29-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I was first starting out and I still some times will do this with clients is I would shoot them an hourly rate. This rate was typically 80.00 an hour for 2 guys but I think today it would be closer to 90.

I would tell them I think it will be this many hours and I will not go over that amount. That is just for clean up. Let them know there will be a few hours off the job site to haul off the materials too.