Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-13-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure I will use the maps feature however until I go out and see it with my own eyes I can't give a solid price. I can ball park at 100 a visit plus tax to start but it may be higher after I see it. I will get right back to ya.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
Didn't know about the "lab" app. I think i'm the only one left without a smartphone. My issue is the distance. I've been cutting that area out of my schedule. Also, the address he gave didn't show a corner lot like he said. Wasn't aware of lawn guys using this for quotes.
No your not bro. I don't have one either, and have no plans to get one. I just don't need it for what I do.

Google can give you a good idea for ball parking it, but I won't give a set price without seeing the jobsite either. Google doesn't show ground conditions clearly enough to know if it's a site that you can go fast over, or will have to slow way down on due to many different things.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'll use Google or Mapquest to look at a property before I go to the location itself, mostly just to get in my head where it is located, but I can't imagine making a quote based on that information only. I try to avoid giving any kind of price when contacted via the phone, but, depending on the information I receive, I may give some kind of price range if the caller keeps pressing. Mostly, I just tell them I will have to see the property before giving a quote.

I have yards similar in size that take anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes to service, so I don't see how anyone can price correctly from aerial maps.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
I'll use Google or Mapquest to look at a property before I go to the location itself, mostly just to get in my head where it is located, but I can't imagine making a quote based on that information only. I try to avoid giving any kind of price when contacted via the phone, but, depending on the information I receive, I may give some kind of price range if the caller keeps pressing. Mostly, I just tell them I will have to see the property before giving a quote.

I have yards similar in size that take anywhere from 10 minutes to 45 minutes to service, so I don't see how anyone can price correctly from aerial maps.
I mostly do it when pressed but I don't care about price shoppers that much anyway so I will just to get them off the phone and not waste my time. I would dare say I am near 100% of getting the people that I go visit and next to nothing on those phone quotes.

I am close to 50% on my commercial "bids" too
Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Better than Google Maps is Bing Maps "birds eye view", at least in my area. Google Maps is low resolution taken during the summer (can't see much). Bing birds eye is in the fall (see through the trees, and four angles N/S/W/E), and it's higher resolution. Just an FYI.
Husqvarna 435
Super crappy yard
Old 10-14-2012, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Been using Google maps for aeration prices. Saves about 10 bucks on each estimate.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We never give estimates without meeting with the client in person. Even if I could see their entire property in perfect detail over Google Maps (which isn't possible), I wouldn't do it.

The reason is that we don't win jobs based on price. We're more expensive than most of the other LCOs in town. If someone is just calling various companies, trying to get an idea of prices, they are price shopping. We're not going to win that game. So it's a total waste of our time. If they are not willing to spend 30 minutes with us looking over their property together and going over our various services, then we're not going to give a proposal - period.

We win bids when clients can meet with us in person, get a good feel for us personally, our appearance (our trucks, uniforms, business cards, estimate forms), how prompt we are, how comprehensive our service is, and we have some time to impress upon them that we really know landscapes. Give me 30 minutes with a customer and there's a 50-50 chance I'll land that account. But if we give a price over the phone, it's more like a 5% chance.

If we get calls or leads like that, we just explain to them that we only give estimates in person and would love to meet with them. If they don't go for it, we wish them the best of luck and move on to another call.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-15-2012, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
We never give estimates without meeting with the client in person. Even if I could see their entire property in perfect detail over Google Maps (which isn't possible), I wouldn't do it.

The reason is that we don't win jobs based on price. We're more expensive than most of the other LCOs in town. If someone is just calling various companies, trying to get an idea of prices, they are price shopping. We're not going to win that game. So it's a total waste of our time. If they are not willing to spend 30 minutes with us looking over their property together and going over our various services, then we're not going to give a proposal - period.

We win bids when clients can meet with us in person, get a good feel for us personally, our appearance (our trucks, uniforms, business cards, estimate forms), how prompt we are, how comprehensive our service is, and we have some time to impress upon them that we really know landscapes. Give me 30 minutes with a customer and there's a 50-50 chance I'll land that account. But if we give a price over the phone, it's more like a 5% chance.

If we get calls or leads like that, we just explain to them that we only give estimates in person and would love to meet with them. If they don't go for it, we wish them the best of luck and move on to another call.
Exactly right. Saves a lot of valuable time and $4 p/gal gas.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd probably do a quick drive-by while dropping off a hand-written estimate with a business card,
they ain't gone give a rat that you didn't use google maps or what have you, just get them what they
asked for and be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Exactly right. Saves a lot of valuable time and $4 p/gal gas.
Phhht, I get 50-60 mpg.

Last edited by herler; 10-15-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I'd probably do a quick drive-by while dropping off a hand-written estimate with a business card,
they ain't gone give a rat that you didn't use google maps or what have you, just get them what they
asked for and be done.

Phhht, I get 50-60 mpg.
Holy fuel mileage Batman. Is that with the 28ft bat trailer hooked on the back of the semi?