Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-14-2012, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Christmas lighting for beginners

i know there are a million threads on here. i am a newb in the area of christmas lights , i am getting a lot of inquries about it. just like everyone else and anything else, we all start without the proper knowledge of how to do something. i learn very quickly and am looking for help from some other companies experienced in this in proper steps on how to properly provide this service. where to buy, how to price, how to repair and "cut and splice line and plugs". basically i know NOTHING, and am looking for links for those who have seen it all. i appreciate any help you can give. i tried to look up HBL but cant find the right link on the net to read up on the company. thanks guys
Old 10-15-2012, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The best thing you can do is take the time to read adn re read the topics in this thread. Some of the best possible answers to many different topics are contained here in.

As for HBL, you won't find them as HBL is no more. they reorganized the end of last year and are now Holidynamics.

Give a call out there and talk with Mike Marlow, he will aim you onto the right path.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtolandscaping View Post
The best thing you can do is take the time to read adn re read the topics in this thread. Some of the best possible answers to many different topics are contained here in.

As for HBL, you won't find them as HBL is no more. they reorganized the end of last year and are now Holidynamics.

Give a call out there and talk with Mike Marlow, he will aim you onto the right path.
I know the forum is loaded , but when i search Christmas lights, there's over 30 pages and some thread titles don't even appear to be related. That's why I was just asking if there was one specific thread(s) that I can be pointed to. I want to do this all the right way , I already knew I have to add the extra insurance, now I'm looking into how to actually price the job in my market and custom make light strings etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well, I would start by searching for more specific things. If there are certain answers you are looking for, just search for that.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean5912 View Post
I know the forum is loaded , but when i search Christmas lights, there's over 30 pages and some thread titles don't even appear to be related. That's why I was just asking if there was one specific thread(s) that I can be pointed to. I want to do this all the right way , I already knew I have to add the extra insurance, now I'm looking into how to actually price the job in my market and custom make light strings etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Once you have the minimum required posts send me a private message and I will try and help you out any way I can. We were all in your shoes and know how it feels. If you private message me ill give you my number and we can chat.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

haha whats the required minimum posts? yes.. everyone was in my shoes at some point..we all have to start somewhere and ive always searched this site for answers and see you all are a great bunch of people and this site is a wealth of information. just trying to find it is the fun part =/ lol
Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pricing is gonna depend on your costs, not your market. The last thing you want to do is put a project together or several for that matter, only to find out in the end you didn't make any money, or even worse, you paid for part of it.

When you are searching, look specifically for anything wit Dave G or turfhokie attached to it, they share alot of information, and are the seasoned vets so to speak.

The learning curve is not as bad as you think. Some decisions you have to make from the get go though, are you gonna do specialized products such as Light Links, or stick with the c-9 and c-7 bracket. Personally, I love the light link design, but have never had any real success with them due to cost. you will see alot o reference to Mixed Noble, that is the Holidynamics line, it is just awesome stuff. Speaking of which, any luck with getting in touch with Mike??

Back to pricing, don't be afraid to walk away from a project that you aren't sure you will make money or at minimum cover your costs. I get alot of calls where people expect us to do a job for $250.-- Not gonna happen.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

as for the pricing... i know what my per man hour rate is with no equipment involved other then hand tools. which is also the going rate in my area.. what should one expect to make to not lose there ass? i googled christmas lights and found one local guy is advertising starter packages for 250.. i dont want to rape the customer and i dont want to take it in the arse... do you price a lighting job higher then a landscape install or sod job? am i making sense or no?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

as far as the lights, im not sure.. whichever is the easiest.. im testing the waters right now to see the demand in my area. I dont want to invest money all at once. i like to start small and upgrade and add as business demands it. i do utilize service magic and have had great success and great jobs in the 3 years ive had them.. i did notice they have a lead for christmas light installation.... i just am looking to get a little extra and informed in this market this year and hit it harder next. i dont have the time or finances to travel to omaha as i have a 5 month old...
Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

and i know that the money all depends on what the customer wants.. its like starting out landscaping.. your not sure what you should charge for mulch, or sod, or trimming.. i dont know what to charge a man hour to put stuff up... and take it down.. or replace if theres a problem.