Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Redesigned Launch of BestRockfordYards.com

I have a few more things to do....but here's the Redesigned Launch of BestRockfordYards.com

I now have a Customer Service Agreement on the Contact Page. This give the customer a change to print off and answer a few questions before I start working in their yard (when they are not home/or I've never been in their yard before).

I will say this is a Huge Improvement over My Last Site (flash based)....but the old was wasn't bad....it's just redesigned (html 5)......Open for suggestions!!!!!!

P.S. I know it's a little slow....I have a ton of pictures and will edit the videos too....just too much right now....plus I have a few big organic compost spreading jobs to complete too!!!
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 10-12-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Rick, similar to the issues with Flash sites, the overwhelming issue with Wix sites is in how they generate, be it Flash or their take on HTML5. They use Javascript to inject all of you content, which means it really doesn't exist in any tangible form.

Take a look at this thread as it's the exact same issue you run in to, and the same feedback a couple of us would give.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=386769

One of the key takeaways from that thread is Greg's link demonstrating the visible content, or lack there of:

Using a recent review request, here's Ross NW Watergardens:
http://www.domaintools.com/seo-brows...tergardens.com

Yours:
http://www.domaintools.com/seo-brows...kfordyards.com

Tony
-
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Tony!!!

I will check it out later tonight.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Tony,

My friend said that Google looks twice a month for new websites....so that is why you get nothing when you run your SEO report.

We have things listed...but he said it can take a week or two before Google checks to verify sites.

So give me a week or two....then I would like to see my report again.

And thanks for your help too!!!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
My friend said that Google looks twice a month for new websites....so that is why you get nothing when you run your SEO report.
So give me a week or two....then I would like to see my report again.
No offense to your friend, but this is incorrect. I didn't run an SEO report, per se. What I pointed out has nothing to do with SEO results, in the sense that he is using the term, in that they will not change. You can visit that link I posted a thousand times over the next thousand days and you will still see a blank page (unless Wix changes how they generate sites). Ultimately, this does affect SEO, but not in how your friend seems to be interpreting it.

In terms of Google indexing a new site, it's possible to get indexed within an hour and there is no rule of thumb time frame such as two weeks, two days, or two months.

Last edited by tonygreek; 10-12-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Tony knows his stuff and he's right on all counts. Sites like Wix are fine for "branding" that is you just want someone who sees your business card to be able see you have a site, or maybe they follow a link somewhere but the're just not built well for searching. Links, from facebook, google places, and other free sites again work fine.

Google indexes content all the time. There's no schedule, it's why you can google current events and within minutes google has results.

I think the site looks good from an aesthetics point of view and if that's your goal, then it's done it's job.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So Tony, then what should I do?

Should I buy ad words? Like I said, when it comes to aeration in Rockford, IL....I'm number one or two.

I would like to get organic compost spreading going....just because it's good money and has great results!!!

But I do like the way My Site looks and works. What do you think would be a better program to use???

Thanks,

Rick

P.S. I know Tony knows his stuff, he's been very helpful. And thanks again for all your help!!!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sites like Wix are fine for "branding"
This is a simple and perfectly distilled way to say it, ptjackson.

----------

So Tony, then what should I do? Should I buy ad words? Like I said, when it comes to aeration in Rockford, IL....I'm number one or two.

You can watch to see how the search engines react to your new site. Keep a log and track your rank for your desired keywords, especially now that you've made a major change. Give it some time and see how it is once it hits some semblance of post-launch equilibrium.

I'm all for AdWords, when used in concert with establishing organic search strength, but for locally-targeted businesses (that aren't tackling national search), I would prefer to see people transition away from it as their site climbs the rankings. This should be everyone's goal and it becomes an easily measurable ROI.

I would like to get organic compost spreading going....just because it's good money and has great results!!!

Build content and target it. The hurdle you will quite likely face is that which we've pointed out re: Wix sites.

But I do like the way My Site looks and works. What do you think would be a better program to use???

Pretty much anything that has code that isn't obfuscated, especially by script injection. As an example, I recently compared two visually similar sites. One was built the same as yours, via Wix's idea of HTML5, and another that was built on an entirely different framework. As I said, both looked the same, but the Wix site had around 800+** lines of code, the other had 185 lines to accomplish a very similar thing. If anyone, regardless of web experience tried to read the source code, and view the content that gets rendered, they could do so in the non-Wix site. With the Wix site, it's not the easiest to do., and it seems that Search agrees.

**Note, Wix sites seem to be down right now, so this is from memory

A site generator, such as Wix, makes it easy as can be for anyone to build a nice "looking" site. Site "performance" is an entirely different beast altogether.

Many times, I've had people email me, or post here, that they can't understand why their great looking site is trailing a terrible looking site that looks like it was built in '97. This is because launching a site is a pretty small battle in the overall war. There is the visual that will interest and help capture customers, but the under the hood and off-page work that brings in the traffic via search rank.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Note, Wix sites seem to be down right now, so this is from memory
Gotta give Wix credit for having nerve... In the middle of being down, they actually post to facebook asking people to share their experience with them. There is one post from 16 hours ago (8pm ET yesterday) that they have been taking all day to fix it...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...8.106270215428
Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Tony!!!

I am going to buy Adobe Master Collection through Academic Superstore and once December starts....start working on My 3.0 version.

Yes, some of the programs I don't need, but I might...and for a few hundred dollars more....I feel it's better to have them than not. Never know what the future holds.

I know searching through Google on Aeration....I'm doing great! But the Organic Compost Spreading....nothing...so I hope the search engines will pick up my site...and then I can hopefully be listed.

The site that I buy my compost from, asked if I would want to be linked to their site. Should I do it?

The compost spreading really happened quicker than I thought....I had planned on starting it this coming Spring....but I'm glad I've started now, because the respond has been very positive. And when you tell them about reseeding and then spreading compost....it's a win, win situation.

For now, I just wanted something that was better than my 1st website. The new site has a better layout of the services that I offer, which the 1st site did not. So that was a big improvement.

But for now....I'm going to ride out the rest of the season (almost over) with the new site and see how things go.