Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
This looks like a man on a mission...a mission to get out of that dusty mess as fast as possible...I can't believe you can cut grass running that fast, how could the blades keep up???
And no whip lash, vomiting or broken back. I think I dinted a blade though!

That grass is just rubbish stuff across the road from my place, cut quality was very low on my "give a toss" list!

The point of it was to show how to sit on the machine and let it move underneath me, like a bike going over whoops.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
And no whip lash, vomiting or broken back. I think I dinted a blade though!

That grass is just rubbish stuff across the road from my place, cut quality was very low on my "give a toss" list!

The point of it was to show how to sit on the machine and let it move underneath me, like a bike going over whoops.
I was watching the video and having a hard time understanding how you could cut grass that fast, you would not think the blades could keep up???
Old 10-15-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
This looks like a man on a mission...a mission to get out of that dusty mess as fast as possible...I can't believe you can cut grass running that fast, how could the blades keep up???
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws
I was watching the video and having a hard time understanding how you could cut grass that fast, you would not think the blades could keep up???
Very childish puppy. Kinda shameful for a man of you age and intellect to act like a spoiled kid who didn't get his way.

I was gonna leave it alone and let it die, but if you want to keep it up, we can. We didn't get any close up QOC pics did we? I don't believe that Mick said it was top notch either did he? (in fact, after I first posted this I see he in fact says the QOC wasn't that great) In fact, I believe he posted on his video that he doesn't condone that type of operation of the machine, or mowing like that. I know he mows at full sticks sometimes, but he is cutting completely different grass than we have up here as well as you. The grass looks rather thin in the video compared to some of the stuff he cuts as well, and it didn't look like he was taking off al that much length. It certainly doesn'tdo the machine any good to go that fast where it's that rough. I know he was just showing that it can be done, and that he was trying to demonstrate what the ride looks like to the OP. I don'twish to drag Mick into this either, since it has nothing to do with anyone other than you and me, and the fact that you were contradicted directly by the maker of the machine on what the proper speed for mowing should be.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The Pupster
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Very childish puppy. Kinda shameful for a man of you age and intellect to act like a spoiled kid who didn't get his way.

I was gonna leave it alone and let it die, but if you want to keep it up, we can. We didn't get any close up QOC pics did we? I don't believe that Mick said it was top notch either did he? (in fact, after I first posted this I see he in fact says the QOC wasn't that great) In fact, I believe he posted on his video that he doesn't condone that type of operation of the machine, or mowing like that. I know he mows at full sticks sometimes, but he is cutting completely different grass than we have up here as well as you. The grass looks rather thin in the video compared to some of the stuff he cuts as well, and it didn't look like he was taking off al that much length. It certainly doesn'tdo the machine any good to go that fast where it's that rough. I know he was just showing that it can be done, and that he was trying to demonstrate what the ride looks like to the OP. I don'twish to drag Mick into this either, since it has nothing to do with anyone other than you and me, and the fact that you were contradicted directly by the maker of the machine on what the proper speed for mowing should be.
Dont let them get to you brotha. Its not worth the trouble.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

I was gonna leave it alone and let it die, but if you want to keep it up, we can. We didn't get any close up QOC pics did we? I don't believe that Mick said it was top notch either did he? In fact, I believe he posted on his video that he doesn't condone that type of operation of the machine, or mowing like that. I know he mows at full sticks sometimes, but he is cutting completely different grass than we have up here as well as you. The grass looks rather thin in the video compared to some of the stuff he cuts as well, and it didn't look like he was taking off al that much length. It certainly doesn'tdo the machine any good to go that fast where it's that rough. I know he was just showing that it can be done, and that he was trying to demonstrate what the ride looks like to the OP. I don'twish to drag Mick into this either, since it has nothing to do with anyone other than you and me, and the fact that you were contradicted directly by the maker of the machine on what the proper speed for mwoing should be.
I've shown you excellent cut quality pictures of where a Super Z cut crabgrass and fescue at top speed, and you've never made one comment on why there is no grass left standing.

Your the one that said it was theoretically impossible to cut grass at the high speeds because the blades could not turn fast enough to keep up. You can actually see a video of it being done, and yes, Mick was letting you see a Hustler Super Z can cut grass at very high speeds without needing to double cut. You can see a close up ground level picture of grass cut at full Super Z speed, you can see a video of a Super Z cutting grass at full speed, yet you continue to disregard the facts presented. Why is this, you just that hard headed?
Old 10-15-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I've shown you excellent cut quality pictures of where a Super Z cut crabgrass and fescue at top speed, and you've never made one comment on why there is no grass left standing.

Your the one that said it was theoretically impossible to cut grass at the high speeds because the blades could not turn fast enough to keep up. You can actually see a video of it being done, and yes, Mick was letting you see a Hustler Super Z can cut grass at very high speeds without needing to double cut. You can see a close up ground level picture of grass cut at full Super Z speed, you can see a video of a Super Z cutting grass at full speed, yet you continue to disregard the facts presented. Why is this, you just that hard headed?
I'm calling BS on that. I have never said it is impossible. I have said it is not a good idea to do it unless conditions are perfect, which they rarely are. Nowhere in the video is there a close up of the QOC either, so that is a bunch of crap too. I said that yes, in your picture it looked pretty good, though in a pic one can never fully see the true QOC. You seem fixated on arguing about something that even the manufacturer sides with me on, while trying to dodge the actual wording of the converstaions that have taken place between us here on LS.

None of that negates the fact that you are continuing to act childish when I tried to let it rest. However, I'll be darned if I'll llet you make sport of me when it isn't warranted or accurate.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, I do not want to get into this debate but....
What I will say is the vid had nothing to do with the cut. It was all about traveling over rough ground, how to use the body and see if there was much deck bounce. As if I'd make turns like that on a customers lawn. I dont think so, let alone what doing that would to to the machine over time.

I should of just left the blade off but I thought while Im at it, I may as well cut it.

I was cutting too high for there to be any true nice cut, there were tall weeds and spindly grass etc, where the grass was thicker it did cut better.
Id only mowed those areas like 3 times in the last 12yrs so didnt know where the ruts are, I only knew it was rough from bush hogging and cars and there are rocks on it as well. I really didnt want to cut low enough for the finish when there was huge risk of hitting something. In fact, I actually did hit a rock in the edit on the first time around the first area.

No way would I normally mow a property as rough as this as fast as that. But smooth properties, I can and do.

I know I can mow thick dry grass (like bermuda), not taking much off on smooth properties at full stick. So I agree with Puppy but, I also understand that limp or soft Northern grass's would be much more difficult as it would require time for vacuum, let grass stand up long enough to be cut cleanly.

Basically, your both right!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I'm calling BS on that. I have never said it is impossible. I have said it is not a good idea to do it unless conditions are perfect, which they rarely are. Nowhere in the video is there a close up of the QOC either, so that is a bunch of crap too. I said that yes, in your picture it looked pretty good, though in a pic one can never fully see the true QOC. You seem fixated on arguing about something that even the manufacturer sides with me on, while trying to dodge the actual wording of the converstaions that have taken place between us here on LS.

None of that negates the fact that you are continuing to act childish when I tried to let it rest. However, I'll be darned if I'll llet you make sport of me when it isn't warranted or accurate.
I think you said this:

Quote:
Puppy- just do the math sir. It isn't that hard to do, and it tells you that the strikes per inch of forwards travel are far too low for clean cutting at full speed under anything less than ideal conditions, especially on limp type grass.
I have shown you that this is not true, if what you stated here was fact, you would see uncut grass standing in this picture, yet you do not.

I've never once said you can cut in all conditions at these fast speeds, but I have stated you can cut the southern stiffer blade grasses at the fast speeds. I actually cut some new volunteer rye-grass Saturday, and yes it is very limp and wispy, the kind of grass people use to over-seed here in the south to keep green lawns through the winter. If I had attempted to cut this grass at the faster speed; it would have looked as if half of it was missed, it blows around underneath the deck, meaning some is actually pushed down and away from the cutting edge of the blades. This is the type texture grass you deal with, and no, you could not use fast mowing speeds. The best cut in these type grasses will come from an Exmark with a Ultra Cut deck at around 8 mph or less. This is a totally different cutting scenario, I know what you deal with, but you have no idea of how the dryer stiff blade grasses we deal with in the south cut.

The real green grass growing beside the soybeans is volunteer rye-grass, and you can tell by looking at it the blades are very limp and wispy, making it move around underneath a deck a great deal, sometimes to the point of getting away from the blades. You can hardly cut this slow enough.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I knew exactly why you posted it Mick. You told the OP you were going to do so yesterday. I was paying attention.
Closed Thread