Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
QUOTE:

"The Super 104 is another enhanced product, based on the Super Z. Wings have been added to extend the mowing width to a 104-inch cut. Excel says it can mow up to 84 acres in eight hours at 10 miles per hour. The Super 104 has the HyperDrive system. Its MSRP is under $30,000."

That's a lot of grass mowing in one day, but remember; to cut that much you have got to run in a straight line at 10 mph and never turn around once. Who would us an illustration of cutting 84 acres in eight hours, other than a gimmick to gain your attention, while knowing in reality this is not possible.

Let's now use more realistic figures:

8.5' x 10 mph x 5280' x (70% efficiency) ÷ 43,560 = mowing 7.21 ac per hr

6' x 13 mph x 5280' x (70% efficiency) ÷ 43,560 = mowing 6.62 ac per hr

This is what speed versus width can do for productivity. This fold up $28,000.00 mower looks like a very productive machine, and in reality it is, but not nearly as much more than one would think when looking at the fast speeds I run with a 72" deck; in comparison to the slower speed with the 104" deck. This is not a good trade of money for someone such as myself.
The ? is can you mow at 15 with the 104. Well Pupster we are waiting for you to let us know.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 72 side discharge and 2 rear discharge I would love to have this one but not at $30k
Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
The ? is can you mow at 15 with the 104. Well Pupster we are waiting for you to let us know.
While looking at it from a physics point of view, no, this mower will never cut grass at 15 mph, it is not capable. The blades can't turn fast enough, and even if it could knock the grass down for finishing with a double cut, those wings would tear all to pieces bouncing over the ground at fast mowing speeds. I would say the caster forks would probably be the first component to break down, the is not a fast mowing speed designed mower.

Hustler will tell you, they do not make a mower designed to cut grass at 15 mph, and I figure they would like for the 104 to stay below 10.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
While looking at it from a physics point of view, no, this mower will never cut grass at 15 mph, it is not capable. The blades can't turn fast enough, and even if it could knock the grass down for finishing with a double cut, those wings would tear all to pieces bouncing over the ground at fast mowing speeds. I would say the caster forks would probably be the first component to break down, the is not a fast mowing speed designed mower.

Hustler will tell you, they do not make a mower designed to cut grass at 15 mph, and I figure they would like for the 104 to stay below 10.
The thing is where I am your 72 at 15 would out cut the 104 at 10 and you are right the mower would probably fall apart doing what you do tp your 72.

For 30 grand screw that, for that I can build something much more productive
Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
The thing is where I am your 72 at 15 would out cut the 104 at 10 and you are right the mower would probably fall apart doing what you do tp your 72.

For 30 grand screw that, for that I can build something much more productive
This mower looks like the "cats meow" for some applications, maybe for a school system mowing several football field and baseball field complexes, very smooth large open areas. You can take your mower and put it beside this mower on a football field and you will mow much faster, just not quite as wide.

You can take your mower and put it into what would be considered reasonably rough cutting, and your mower will still be going strong when someone is working to keep the wings on the big boy intact. Look at the picture close, then think about how these wings will react while floating over rough ground at any speed at all. Look at the hinge points, the hydraulic cylinders, and the much smaller forks and spindles. The mower will be great on manicured large open areas, but like I say, the ones that will suit this mower are sports fields and the likes thereof.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Notice the front of the deck is straight? I wonder whats going on under there with over lap.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Notice the front of the deck is straight? I wonder whats going on under there with over lap.
I'm guessing that being a rear discharge deck the center blade is offset to the rear like they normally are on a 3 pt RD deck.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I'm guessing that being a rear discharge deck the center blade is offset to the rear like they normally are on a 3 pt RD deck.
They may of done that with this deck but there other RD decks a middle blade forward, on the ztrs anyway.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
They may of done that with this deck but there other RD decks a middle blade forward, on the ztrs anyway.
What I am thinking is that in order to keep the deck compact enough/shaped correctly to fit under the frame and have the belt as short as possible, they may have used a staggered design kinda like this, with the parentheses representinmg the wing mowers-

HTML Code:
                    O    O
                O)     O    (O
Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
What I am thinking is that in order to keep the deck compact enough/shaped correctly to fit under the frame and have the belt as short as possible, they may have used a staggered design kinda like this, with the parentheses representinmg the wing mowers-

HTML Code:
                    O    O
                O)     O    (O
Ok, got it!
Be interesting to see the full photos of it. A few pulleys on that thing!
Interested in seeing the new line up actually, and the new seat add on.