Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Company blew out my system...

Well, per tech guy they blow out at 110 PSI without a problem for X number of years. While no heads were blown out of the ground, I am still wondering since there were like two or three moments (for 3-5 seconds) of mainline being closed under that pressure while they switched from one program to another. My mainline is 1 1/4" poly rated at 160 PSI. Am I safe?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

It is hard to say. Irrigation system winterization should be done with high air volume and low air pressure. By low, I mean 60-80 PSI. We regulate the air on all of our compressors so that is can't surge and possibly cause damage. If they were switching programs and had the system off for more than a few minutes, they should have turned the air off on the compressor. Not regulating air pressure is not only potentially damaging, it is also not safe.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

it took for him like 5 seconds at most to switch programs, but the compressor was running.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is friction loss when air moves through pipes (same as water), so by the time the air gets to the heads your not at 110psi. Also your mainline will not shoot up to 110 psi in 5 sec, just as your tire does not inflate to 60-70psi in 5 sec when you air it up. There is a lot of volume in a 1 1/4 in mainline that needs to be pressurized.

This all being said, I am based in TX. What is a blowout? hahaha

Last edited by txirrigation; 10-16-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I love it when every once in a while you send a head into orbit. My compressor is set at 70 pounds and it happens couple times a yr on homeowners installed systems usually.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I only wish there was a precise setting that only destroyed Home Cheapo sprinkler heads. Some of the old plastic popup impacts are touchy about pressure, if you give a zone a second charge of air.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt worry , 5 seconds isnt long . I have heard of contractors pressurizing the main on puprose to blow out a system , this is where damage occurs .
Old 10-18-2012, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I only wish there was a precise setting that only destroyed Home Cheapo sprinkler heads. Some of the old plastic popup impacts are touchy about pressure, if you give a zone a second charge of air.
there is a setting that will destroy only homeowner installs
step 1: recognize that the system is a homeowner install
step 2: set compresser to home owner setting (ie. crank up compressor for max psi, max cfm)
step 3: blow the heads into orbit, ironically their homeowner install is probably orbit brand heads)
step 4: bill them to replace heads with the propper ones for the site
step 5: set compresser back to contracter installed system setting (particularly important to do before going to one of your own installs)