Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-16-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the link. I see it has a BTS of 15,800 and top speed of 11 mph. The speed makes sense if they don't want those wings decks getting beaten off on rough ground. That would be a good soccer field etc. mower I would think, but for the majority of users I still think the SZ is a better bet for day in, day out use.

I didn't read the entire PDF. Can you mow with only one wing down (or no wings down) like you can with other batwing mowers? I see each wing runs off a belt from the outer spindles, but don't see where it says anything about being able to disable one wing or both while still running the center deck.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

That thing is friggin AWESOME!!!
However, 2350 lbs.
I had to upgrade my trailer once already this year when I got my Super Z.
I don't have a use for it but there probably are some out there.
I have to say, Hustler and Excell aren't afraid to experiment.
Good for you.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 PM
President, Hustler Turf Equipment

Both wings need to be down for mowing. With the compact size and maneuverability of the Super Z there is not a lot of need for being able to mow with one wing up or just the center deck. Each wing can float up and down 15degrees to handle uneven ground.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWM View Post
Both wings need to be down for mowing. With the compact size and maneuverability of the Super Z there is not a lot of need for being able to mow with one wing up or just the center deck. Each wing can float up and down 15degrees to handle uneven ground.
I believe this mower was brought into the Hustler lineup for a specialized market purpose, are you at will to say which market? I personally would think this mower best suited to smooth, large open manicured areas. I just can't see a city or county turning their employees loose with a mower of this caliber to cut road ditches and medians.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That thing is HEAVY, over 1000kg.
Specs say Grammer seat with isolator platform. Is it the new platform that can be used on the 2011/12 SZ's?
26" tires.
38hp Kohler option
Hydro deck lift. Is it the same lift system thats been around for a while?

How has the speed been limited. Does it have different wheel motors from the current SZ? HT? Larger drive tires mean faster speed or has it been limited to the slower speed through the linkages or something.
I mean, surely the current "hyperdrive" system is enough to move this machine along when it is currently only using a fraction of the potential output. I just dont understand whats happening here. Can someone explain?

I agree with Tharrell, at least Hustler is having a go. I have no need/want for this machine but I sure would like to demo one!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I believe this mower was brought into the Hustler lineup for a specialized market purpose, are you at will to say which market? I personally would think this mower best suited to smooth, large open manicured areas. I just can't see a city or county turning their employees loose with a mower of this caliber to cut road ditches and medians.
The 104 is designed to maintain A, B and C turf like you said. Roadside ditches we would consider D type turf which is better suited for a tractor. Example applications would be golf course roughs, parks, sport fields, rural properties or any large areas that are maintained on a regular basis.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
That thing is HEAVY, over 1000kg.
Specs say Grammer seat with isolator platform. Is it the new platform that can be used on the 2011/12 SZ's?
26" tires.
38hp Kohler option
Hydro deck lift. Is it the same lift system thats been around for a while?

How has the speed been limited. Does it have different wheel motors from the current SZ? HT? Larger drive tires mean faster speed or has it been limited to the slower speed through the linkages or something.
I mean, surely the current "hyperdrive" system is enough to move this machine along when it is currently only using a fraction of the potential output. I just dont understand whats happening here. Can someone explain?

I agree with Tharrell, at least Hustler is having a go. I have no need/want for this machine but I sure would like to demo one!
The deck lift is new and is all hydraulic, not electric/hydraulic. We are using larger displacement wheel motors to give this unit more torque for handling the additional weight.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
The deck lift is new and is all hydraulic, not electric/hydraulic. We are using larger displacement wheel motors to give this unit more torque for handling the additional weight.

The machine is a beast!
Not that it needs it but could the deck lift be fitted to the current SZ?

Love to see some more pics of the deck, the under seat workings etc....
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

So the wheel motors are similar to the concept of the ATZ, which you no longer make. Can you put those wheel motors on a current Super Z if you want more torque and how much will those wheel motors allow you to pull?

Thanks for any help and by the way nice mower but 28 if that is retail is to high for me and like Puppy posted a current 72 Super mowing wide open can give it a run for the money in productvity but may not cut as clean.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The 104 is designed to maintain A, B and C turf like you said. Roadside ditches we would consider D type turf which is better suited for a tractor. Example applications would be golf course roughs, parks, sport fields, rural properties or any large areas that are maintained on a regular basis.
Thanks Paul, that's the way I see this mower being utilized, glad you verified my thoughts.