Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-15-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Multi Services Business How

How would one go about starting a bobcat service and lawn service at the same time. That way you would always be busy. This based on only 2 guys running the business. Would you go part time half and half or would you need 2 crews. I see these companys that seem to offer everything landscaping excavating lawn maintenance and snoplowing they must have multiple crews or else how do they have time for everything. An excavation customer cant call you and you tell them well in a weeks time were cutting grass this week. Like how would you make time.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mow mon-wed and schedule skid work thurs-sat.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K_Donaldson View Post
How would one go about starting a bobcat service and lawn service at the same time. That way you would always be busy. This based on only 2 guys running the business..
Major assumption. There are so many losers on craigslist offering bobcat service for $300 a day that i doubt you would have so much work that you couldnt schedule it and remain "always busy"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on what "by the day" means. If it's a driveway repair, or a small patch job on a lawn that $300 might be decent money. If it means a full 8 hour day of skidsteer work I'd rather leave the machine at the shop.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't really work half days unless i can manage to stack two half day jobs that are nearby (never happens). I don't really care if i run the machine for 2 hours or 8, the difference in the scheme if things is marginal. Its more about wasting a day of my life in some cheapos yard, the diesel to get there, and my overhead.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K_Donaldson View Post
How would one go about starting a bobcat service and lawn service at the same time. That way you would always be busy. This based on only 2 guys running the business. Would you go part time half and half or would you need 2 crews. I see these companys that seem to offer everything landscaping excavating lawn maintenance and snoplowing they must have multiple crews or else how do they have time for everything. An excavation customer cant call you and you tell them well in a weeks time were cutting grass this week. Like how would you make time.
you probably won't get that much work ever. just start the lawn service and include bobcat service as part of the landscaping.....you don't need two crews either. you probably won't have 2 or 3 days of mowing for years to come let alone a full week of mowing. slow down and take it one step at a time.....
Old 10-16-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
you probably won't get that much work ever. just start the lawn service and include bobcat service as part of the landscaping.....you don't need two crews either. you probably won't have 2 or 3 days of mowing for years to come let alone a full week of mowing. slow down and take it one step at a time.....
well said. I agree with op. My advice to you is don't assume or even look to into it. Start with lawncare and roll with it. You'll know when you get too busy and have to add more guys etc.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I don't really work half days unless i can manage to stack two half day jobs that are nearby (never happens). I don't really care if i run the machine for 2 hours or 8, the difference in the scheme if things is marginal. Its more about wasting a day of my life in some cheapos yard, the diesel to get there, and my overhead.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've tried stacking jobs as well. The first job falls trhough because the customer has to buy the material themselaves and it still hasn't arrived. Job 2the customer starts out wanting sink hole fixed on their lawn, to wanting the whole lawn rototilled and hydroseeded for the same price. To the OP what kind of equipment do you have? We are all assuming as to what you have to start with.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thats another thing is stopped doing. If the bobcat job involves loading concrete in a dumpster the homeowner is "getting hooked up with" or spreading topsoil or stone that their buddy is dropping off i require it be there the night before or i give them a price to deliver/haul myself.
It never fails that their best bro/awesome pal/hookup is late or cancels and i sit in my truck and still collect the cash. One time i said you have the machine and me from 8 to 2. Get the dumpster there at 7. It showed up at 2:30 and i was there til 4.
100/hr overtime and cash up front before the machine comes off the trailer ALWAYS
Oh oh one more. Guy wanted a lot graded out but it was covered in chest high weeds. No prob, have them whacked and I'll grade it monday. Show up and its a freaking dump. Like i filled two 6 yd trucks with common trash dump. Out on my hands and knees picking up broken glass and rusted metal. He says no problem I'll take care of you. At the end of the day he pays me no extra. I say wtf and hes like i bought you lunch. I hand him $20 and said keep the change. People man....

Can you tell this gets me fired up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It almost makes you wonder if it's worth it sometimes.