Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2000, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was wondering the other day if I should limit myself to jobs that were one hour or under. Does anybody set a time limit on their jobs like this, if it's going to take 1.5,1.7,2.0 hours do you stay away from it. I think in my neck of the woods the profit margin tends to drop the longer your on the site. If I can keep the time to an hour or less I see the margins rise.<p>Just wondering,<p>Homer
Old 06-30-2000, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Homer are you talking just mowing..If so you may be right.As for other work like tree and shurb trimming or a renovation goes as long as I'am getting at least my hourly rate or better I'am happy..sort of like one stop shopping..more work at one site and less travel time.<p>----------<br>John <br>
Old 06-30-2000, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Homer I've been thinking about this myself and its a bit of a problem. I have a group of 4 adjoining properties on a cul de sac (trish thats french). I am there for a total of 3 to 3 1/2 hours per week. This averages out to about 50/hr for me but when I compare it to other properties I mow it doesn't keep up. I.E. commercial office @70/hr. I don't charge a per hour rate but I use this as an internal comparison of properties.<br>I make up for this &quot;low&quot; hourly rate with add-ons like spring cleaning - dethatching - fall leaf clean - fertilizing. All of these add ons take time but when I look at it the hourly rate is much higher. <p>So I guess what I'm rambling about is you have to look at what the property generates for you over the whole season and then see if it is worth your time. I hope that wasn't clear as mud. Good Luck.
Old 06-30-2000, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think it's necessary to put on a time limit, but you might adjust your rate on a lawn that's taking longer to meet your market price. It would seem to me that the more time at one place, if the price is in the right range, would make you *more* money because there's less curb and travel time. <p>10 lawns a day at $50 a pop would seem to make more money in less time than 20 lawns/day at $25, correct?<p>Of course, that could get tricky, too...<p>-TGC
Old 06-30-2000, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

TGC, you're righter than William Schaksphere! (at least I think so!) Homer, say your getting $10 for a hour lawn (I know its more, but I'm using easy numbers so even the scrubs can learn!) if you get $20 for a 2 hour lawn your making more than doing 2 1 hour lawns @10.00 becuase no travel time. I think if your prices are adjusted it should be no problem! I know what your saying though, I had some 10 minute - 30 minute commercial jobs that would pay way to good (more than I really wanted for them!) and would make my 1 and 2 hour jobs look like I wasn't getting enough. Use your judgement, you the man!! Whatever works and brings home the bacon!<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 06-30-2000, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

homer--guido and tc are right. in my opinion, the fewer times you load and unload, needless to mention the drive time, the more profitable you are. I don't give &quot;next door neighbor&quot; discounts. but I have several dual and triple accounts.<p>I don't care how much time I spend at each cut because I get good money at each, regardles whether I mow the lawn next door.<p>good luck homer, whistle DIXIE while the dixie choppers do you a fine job!<p>GEO
Old 07-01-2000, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Howdy Homer. I looked at a yard last month. It was an acre and a half. I figured I could do maby seven 25.00 yards in the time it would take me to do this one big yard. When I told her it would be 175.00 a cut, she looked at me like I was crazy. She said she was paying 125.00. When she pulled back the hege material from the wall and showed me the clippings the (other guy) didn't remove, I knew I didn't want the account anyway. I do see a decline in money on the larger lawns.<p>----------<br>Yesteryear L/S<br>Hollywood Fla
Old 07-01-2000, 01:59 PM

Jsut my opinion, but if you do 2 smaller places ( I know the travel time !!!) you also stand a chance on selling additional services to twice as many people. I think this wil largely depend on the customer and what they will be expecting of you and what additional services they will want. I dropped an account this year that was taking me a little over an hour per week. No extras all season long. I picked up 2-25 minute jobs that have each wanted planting, mulch, and one a small retaining wall. Since then I got one of the neighbors! But I still you have to weigh you options carefully.<br>Good luck !
Old 07-02-2000, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My thing is I don't care to sell any more services. I am a mow only kinda guy. I have enough mowing accounts that I don't want to spend the time doing any other type work. I feel the need to hit it running in the morning and not stay in one place very long, it's the old production supervisor coming out in me, I want to see numbers at the end of the day. We finally managed to get 13 yards yesterday, which would probably be 26 somewhere else! We're about to make some drastic changes and hurt the ol' wallet for a while but I have faith that we'll be taken care of and the money will return in easier, more manageable properties.<p>Bobby, I got your e-mail but my Outlook Express won't let me &quot;send&quot;, only receive! I'm gonna work on it tomorrow.<p>Homer
Old 07-03-2000, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here's my take: In an ideal situation, Id make one stop a day and mow all the lawns in a neighborhood. I would not want any one property that would take, say, two hours, since if I lost that account it would mean a larger chunk of cash to go and replace. I do quite well at present concentrating on 60x125 city lots with my 52 inch hydro mower. And yes, it seems the smaller lots equate more gross profit per hour than the larger (acre+) lots.<p>Bill