Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I dont see how they can justify the 30k price tag,thats insane.Its not like they had to start from scratch and develope a whole new mower.Its built off of a existing design. So charge 22k for hydos that pick up two wings,and prolly 1 gage heavier steel?

That mower is not worth the price. period.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSO LAWNEN4CER View Post
I dont see how they can justify the 30k price tag,thats insane.Its not like they had to start from scratch and develope a whole new mower.Its built off of a existing design. So charge 22k for hydos that pick up two wings,and prolly 1 gage heavier steel?

That mower is not worth the price. period.
You are right the mower is overpriced and would take a while to pay for itself, a 72 at 14 is a much better value but the new mower is really cool none the less and has applications.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Oh boy, I know I'm going to look like the stern looking elderly school teacher with glasses and her hair up in a "bun" but I'm going to do this anyway....only because I've noticed it before.
Realslow, as I said, I don't mean to be condescending but I think you would want to know if you're using the word "mute" when it should be "moot".
But, don't feel bad, it's a common mistake.

(I'm not looking these 2 words up in the dictionary, just an "off of the top of my head" definition).

The word "moot" means "it's irrelevant"....as in "it doesn't matter anyway". The word "mute" means to "quieten down" as in "you mute your car stereo when you go thru a drive thru".

Sorry if I sound like a "know it all jerk", but if the tables were turned, I would want to know . I mentioned this once before but I don't think you got it.
Go ahead....call me an jerk! :-) Stan

I thought I was bad,you don't have anything better to do?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let's see....we paid less than that for a (all new) John Deere 4120 compact utility tractor (2.4 liter 4 cylinder turbo diesel, 4-wheel drive) with a loader and 72" Bush Hog finish mower. $30k is stupid.

This is the tractor I speak of. Much more useful than a 72" finish mower for $30k.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

more useful than a 104" I mean....for what you get. Sure, apples and oranges....but I was just talking about the price tag. $30k is very high.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsagrass View Post
more useful than a 104" I mean....for what you get. Sure, apples and oranges....but I was just talking about the price tag. $30k is very high.

The 4120 makes a great deal more sense to most, and by far more usable, but there are people and institutions with money (not necessarily their own) that will buy the 104, but I don't see it being a really good seller.

If you think the 104 is priced high, this 16.5' cut Toro 5900; of which I checked the price day before yesterday is, ARE YOU READY... $90,000.00, and the area rep told me this was not their best seller, he said their best seller was the 4100 with the 10.5' cut, he tried to make me believe this was a much better bargain at $70,000.00.

When you add the cab to this 5900 is goes to 105K...When he quoted these prices I was shocked to say the least.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now that is insane for any mower!

For 105K you can buy 3 good ztr's and pay for 3 guys wages to run them for an entire year's mowing season.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
The 4120 makes a great deal more sense to most, and by far more usable, but there are people and institutions with money (not necessarily their own) that will buy the 104, but I don't see it being a really good seller.
I understand exactly what you mean. If you don't have to spend your own money AND the tool is exactly what you're looking for/need, then I can see them buying it. A full size tractor would be too heavy too if you're just interested in mowing a nice lawn....but a BIG lawn :-)
Old 10-17-2012, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
I thought I was bad,you don't have anything better to do?
LOL....apparently not....at least not at that time of day.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler is building a new ATZ mower with high torque pulling capacity. The tech claims it is in production and will be much better than the old unit for torque on hills.