Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-16-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

new carburetor under warranty on trimmer?

Should the carburetor on a brand new redmax trimmer be covered under warranty?

I called up the place I bought it from and they said they would have to look at it to determine but should be covered for 1-2 years as long as their were "no contaminants found." So I called the guy I brought it to who gave me the estimate, and he's telling me that's BS and that they're not gonna cover the carburetor under warranty. I just bought this thing for $270 brand new 5 months ago and it's $190 to repair. I'm not sure who is feeding me lines right now just so they can get the work from me, the guy who gave me the estimate or the place I bought it from..
Old 10-16-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Generally a carb is not going to be covered. If it worked for 5 months its doubtful there is any problems with the materials or workmanship(the things covered by warranty). Its more likely a fuel related problem. Whether its contamination or something else. There are exceptions to the rule...

If its under warranty, why didnt you take it back to the place you bought it from first?

The last carb I covered under warranty was a new machine out of the box. Would not start. The carb had been machined wrong or something not drilled at all...I forget. But that machine never ran at all.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
Generally a carb is not going to be covered. If it worked for 5 months its doubtful there is any problems with the materials or workmanship(the things covered by warranty). Its more likely a fuel related problem. Whether its contamination or something else. There are exceptions to the rule...

If its under warranty, why didnt you take it back to the place you bought it from first?

The last carb I covered under warranty was a new machine out of the box. Would not start. The carb had been machined wrong or something not drilled at all...I forget. But that machine never ran at all.
well to be honest, I didn't really think it would be covered under any warranty so instead of driving 20 min to the place where I bought it, I decided to bring it around the corner to our local mechanic who works on landscape equip. i don't understand what would contaminate it though. don't know much about this kind of stuff, but is it something I did wrong? like maybe not enough oil being added to the gas? thanks for the feedback
Old 10-16-2012, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Remove the screen in the exhaust.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A defective carb. would be covered under warranty, period.
A dirty carb, a carb that has internal corrosion,say from stale gas, gum, deposits, etc. would not be covered under warranty.
$190 for carb repair?? Is that with or without Vaseline??

......AMF!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
A defective carb. would be covered under warranty, period.
A dirty carb, a carb that has internal corrosion,say from stale gas, gum, deposits, etc. would not be covered under warranty.
$190 for carb repair?? Is that with or without Vaseline??
Not sure on Redmax but I ran across some Kawasaki string trimmers that have carbs that list price is $125-150 for a carb. Might not be so crazy if the carb is stupid expensive.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just recently had an echo trimmer start acting pretty bad. All fixed under warranty though.