Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcat to start Using Doosan Motors

Should be interesting to see how the doosan motors compare to the kubotas.

Taken from bobcat.com

Bobcat announces non-DPF Tier 4 engine offering
Bobcat Company has announced a plan for Tier 4 solutions that include a Doosan-built engine added to some of its equipment lineup for 2014. Development of the new Tier 4-compliant engine was a collaboration between Bobcat, Doosan and some of the world’s top engineering consultants and engine design firms — Ricardo, FEV and others.

“These new Tier 4 solutions combine Doosan’s 50 years of engine-building experience with Bobcat’s 50 years of compact equipment leadership,” said Rich Goldsbury, Bobcat president. “Add to that the combined experience of our other partners, and you have more than 200 years of experience in engine design and development and compact equipment expertise.”

The Doosan-built engine is a non-DPF (diesel particulate filter) engine. Bobcat engineers have worked together with Doosan and the engineering consultants and engine design firms to develop these engines that offer non-DPF Tier 4 technology.

“With these additional engines, Bobcat will be a market leader in non-DPF Tier 4 technology,” Goldsbury said. “Our customers and dealers prefer it, and it minimizes long-term Tier 4 parts and maintenance expenses.”

Doosan — Bobcat’s parent company — started building engines in 1958, and since then has developed engines across several industries for construction and industrial equipment, power plants, ships and automobiles.

The new Tier 4 Doosan engines will be available in Bobcat machines that meet Tier 4 horsepower requirement ranges sometime in early 2014.

Over the next 18 months, Bobcat plans to release more details on the Bobcat Tier 4 machines and their engines, along with additional and features and solutions that will benefit customers.

For more information on Bobcat's non-DPF Tier 4 engine offering, please visit the Tier 4 section of this website.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Read that today. I'm hoping the specs show more power in the 3.8 liter sized motor and even better fuel usage.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-16-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have any real background knowledge on the doosan diesels? Ie-power/reliability? I have been planning to change all of my ssl and ctl to bobcat m series over the next little while. Should I be concerned with the doosan motors?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_S_S View Post
Does anyone have any real background knowledge on the doosan diesels? Ie-power/reliability? I have been planning to change all of my ssl and ctl to bobcat m series over the next little while. Should I be concerned with the doosan motors?
Posted via Mobile Device
Our Doosan DX180 has an I6 122hp Doosan motor (obvisously) and I'm more productive digging in hard clay and setting boulders in the "Eco" mode than the Case CX160 is in "High" mode, yet burn a lot less fuel in the process. The motor never lugs and its soooooo smooth.

I also demo'd a Case CX160B and wasn't impressed at all. Especially for the five figure difference they wanted over the DX180 for a new machine.

If I put the DX180 in "power" mode it literally rips through clay. When I was digging out for that big 25' boulder wall a couple months ago I was doing a full cycle with the 180 (stick all the way down, digging in virgin ground, swinging 180* reaching all the way up to the 160 and dumping) and the Case still couldn't keep up in cycles or material moved and it didn't have to do near as much. Plus the our DX180 has a 1.22 yd 4' wide bucket and the case has a 42" wide .99 yd bucket. Same arm/stick and coupler.... 180 has a hyd coupler, 160 is manual coupler.

Very impressed so far, the DX180 has 200 hours on it now.

We replaced our Bobcats with my T770 last year and a T750 this year to avoid the tier 4 motors. I'm glad the Doosan motors won't have DEF.... I guess I wouldn't really hesitate to buy one when they came out.

Caterpillar should rethink their horrible design, including the torsion suspension and lame motor outputs. And the premium people for some reason pay for them.

Last edited by Cornell; 10-16-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's good to hear aws, thank you. Gotta admit your doosan is a sharp looking machine. Il have to demo one someday.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Impressive, the Koreans are kicking the Japanese out of the engine races.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Read that today. I'm hoping the specs show more power in the 3.8 liter sized motor and even better fuel usage.
Looks like the biggest will be 3.4L and 99hp.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Impressive, the Koreans are kicking the Japanese out of the engine races.
Posted via Mobile Device
This was a long time coming once Doosan bought Bobcat, especially when Kubota decided to enter the skid steer market. Their skid steer is being tested in the US right now. My Bobcat buddy told me it was in Indiana last he heard.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Wall Structures View Post
We replaced our Bobcats with my T770 last year and a T750 this year to avoid the tier 4 motors. I'm glad the Doosan motors won't have DEF.... I guess I wouldn't really hesitate to buy one when they came out.

Caterpillar should rethink their horrible design, including the torsion suspension and lame motor outputs. And the premium people for some reason pay for them.
I know it doesn't speak for the entire range, but both CAT's new 299D XHP and their 299D XPS exceed the T870, T770 and the T750 in both net hp and peak engine torque. The remaining bobcat machines are all being positioned just below the 75hp Tier IV threshold as are the remaining CAT units.