Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2012, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Either that or overseeding them with rye grass. Which none of my current customers are interested in paying for.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello everyone! From the Charleston area here. Been doing the lawn business part time for 2 years and love it. Business doubled this year from last year to the point I had to quit taking on new customers because I couldn't work my full time job and do all of the yards. I think starting this business was a blessing from God because as it turns out the company I have worked at for 19 years is going out of business so I will be out of a job come January. I have decided to go at it full time. Plan on getting the truck wrapped to advertise more and maybe by 2014 hire someone to help if the business is there. Shouldn't be a problem since the phone already rings 5-6 times a day during the summer.

Curious though, what are you guys that do lawn maint. getting for an avg. size yard of 1/3 acre or less? That is to mow, edge, trim and blow. I charge $40-45 but I know some of the bigger companies that have employees and more overhead are getting up to $60 so I am just curious what the average is around here. I don't want to be a lowballer but I don't want to price myself out of business either. I get a lot of work now and have been contemplating going to $45-50 but I'm afraid I won't get as many accounts if I raise my rate. I see some of the fly by night guys on Craigslist advertising to do the same work I do for $25-35. I know what it costs to run this business and I know there is no way they can make money at that rate especially to be legitimate with paying taxes and insurance. What do ya'll think?
Old 10-16-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I stay @ 40 min for weekly 45 min for e/o week, but every place is different. Get what you need to pay your expenses and make what ever you want your profit to be, let the other guys worry about themselves. Now saying that if I get a lawn and the customer tells me the prevoius guy's price if its more than mine depending on the person I will just quote the same or maybe off a little bit. If they are happy paying more then I'll take it, but I never under price myself just my a little more when I get the chance.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome aboard tricounty, just look at what your current expenses are for the month and figure out what you need to make for the week. Set yourself a minimum. $45 sounds pretty good as a minimum $50 sounds better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys, i am thinking of moving down to north charleston sc in feb, and i was just wondering what do i need to become legit down there? Here we dont need a license for anything but arborist work and pesticide/herbicide apps. We can fert all we want as well.

i know it will be tough to move to an area i have never lived before but im willing to try. I love working out side and i feel i need a change so i figured moving south is a big change.

also do you mow year around down there and do the leaves fall off the trees and around what month do they? Thanks for some help with this.

2008 Gmc Sierra
2014 Kubota z122 48 in hydrostat mower
2014 tophat 7x14 landscape trailer
fs 90 r trimmer
21 inch troy built self propelled mower
26 in craftsman snowblower
Old 10-17-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

License requirements are about the same here. Only way younwould need one is if you had a retail location. Mowing in the upstate slows down drastically in winter months unless you have commercial accounts. It all depends on what type of grass your accounts have. I wish the best to ya!!!! There are a couple of Charleston guys on here maybe they can chime in and help out a little more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpropm View Post
License requirements are about the same here. Only way younwould need one is if you had a retail location. Mowing in the upstate slows down drastically in winter months unless you have commercial accounts. It all depends on what type of grass your accounts have. I wish the best to ya!!!! There are a couple of Charleston guys on here maybe they can chime in and help out a little more.
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks, would i need a business license or anything, and who would i get that from. all i need here is insurance. i have 1 million coverage here.

2008 Gmc Sierra
2014 Kubota z122 48 in hydrostat mower
2014 tophat 7x14 landscape trailer
fs 90 r trimmer
21 inch troy built self propelled mower
26 in craftsman snowblower
Old 10-17-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSantolandscaping View Post
thanks, would i need a business license or anything, and who would i get that from. all i need here is insurance. i have 1 million coverage here.
Business license depends. Some cities or counties may require you to have one if you perform work there and you could go to the town hall and get one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

From down in the Low Country, Beaufort County
Old 10-19-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Applicators license is the same as where you are at. Business license is required in the city you are working in and can be obtained from city hall.