Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Aeration and over seeding is for rookies and Tru Greens of the world. If you want to install and grow seed you have to have a machine seeder.

I won't even sell aeration and over seeding.

The Lesco Renovator 2 is a bullet and a money maker. I have one thats five years old, looks new and has generated close to 100,000 in revenues.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Isn't the renovator a over seeder ? I have a Ryan slit seeder.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My preferred way of renovating (unless I learn a better one, never know)

1) Cut grass short (customer usually does this at my request)
2) Double pass aerate (to pull soil to surface). I don't use the extra weights in my WB aerator so the holes don't get too deep.
3) Slice seed 1/2 rate two directions. About 5 lbs/K. Pulverizes the cores you just pulled up.
4) Starter Fert.

I just took a look at a 9k sq footer I did this process with in early Sept. This lawn was REALLY patchy with tufty fescue before. Today it looked SO much better, filled in decent, great color. Perfect no, but so much better. Helps that the customer watered daily for several weeks.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalllc View Post
Isn't the renovator a over seeder ? I have a Ryan slit seeder.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's a slit seeder. It's the unit every other company from lawn solutions to whoever ripped off to build their units. It's light and manueverable and awesome.

I'd marry my machine if it were legal.

Ryans are good and have been around since forever. I think Moses slit seeded his lawn back in Jerusalem with one of the original Mataways.

He had the same complaint everyone has about the thing. It will kick your GD ass!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
My preferred way of renovating (unless I learn a better one, never know)

1) Cut grass short (customer usually does this at my request)
2) Double pass aerate (to pull soil to surface). I don't use the extra weights in my WB aerator so the holes don't get too deep.
3) Slice seed 1/2 rate two directions. About 5 lbs/K. Pulverizes the cores you just pulled up.
4) Starter Fert.

I just took a look at a 9k sq footer I did this process with in early Sept. This lawn was REALLY patchy with tufty fescue before. Today it looked SO much better, filled in decent, great color. Perfect no, but so much better. Helps that the customer watered daily for several weeks.
Awesomesauce.

I do the same on high end premium jobs. Sometimes I will broadcast a little rye or mix I am using between the aeration and seeding but thats overkill.

I find seed to be cheap and am generous with it, but I also charge a lot to machine seed like that.

No ones mentioned pricing and maybe we shouldn't but I am willing to jump in if the conversation goes that direction.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, renovating the right way is a lot of WORK. Not only does the aerator kick your bootie, the seeder does too (unless you are dual hydro all the way. So for all out there, charge plenty.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-18-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No need to renovate if you care for your turf and soil properly .... and yikes, that includes broadcasting seed.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruSomethingOrOther View Post
IMO aerating / overseed is to thicken up an existing lawn. An actual slit seeder is to renovate a lawn (droughts, major fert burns, dogs, etc). To get rid of that row by row look of the slicer, double pass at a north - south then east - west.
I agree with that and that's what I have told customers who have total bare spots with no grass at all! They always tell me; "make sure you really aerate that area good, maybe 2 or 3 times because I can't get grass to grow." A while ago before I knew any better I'd say; "sure, not a problem." While wasting time and money and not getting any better results.

Now that I'm older, a little wiser, and more knowledgeable, I tell these certain people, let me till up the hard bare area or very, very, very thin area and consider it a renovation rather than a rejuvenation.

I can get more money and better results by doing this. Kind of like an "up sell." Now obviously, water!!!!!!!! I don't tell them what I'm doing is magic, I email some very detailed guidelines as to what to expect, germination times, do's and doníts, as well as watering guidelines. I have had very good results, happy customers and several referrals as well as "drive by" customers who have seen the before and after and asked me to do theirs.

Now, I'm not saying this is the cure all for the OP, also depends on the size of the lot etc. I agree that slit seeding might work better in certain circumstances too.

Just thought I'd share this information.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Aeration and over seeding is for rookies and Tru Greens of the world. If you want to install and grow seed you have to have a machine seeder.

I won't even sell aeration and over seeding.

The Lesco Renovator 2 is a bullet and a money maker. I have one thats five years old, looks new and has generated close to 100,000 in revenues.
Everybody here is a rookie then. I have NEVER seen anybody do anything but aerate and seed. Honestly there is absolutely no need to slit seed a fairly well established lawn. A lawn that is super thin and in really bad shape then yes I agree with you.

Here is an example on my own lawn. You can see the new young grass. That entire area was hammered dead and bare soil. This is 1 month after aerating and seeding. Once it fully matures it will be thick and full.

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 10-18-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not trying to inject any heat into the converstation, but if the lawn being aerated is thick already, then what is the seed for???

The holes need to close up and the existing grasses continue to spread... Do some have lawns that the holes do not close up???