Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just Perfect

After a long summer drought, we've just had 3 substantial rain events in the past 10 days, with almost 4" during the weekend... the weather has been warm and sunny since then and my broadleaf spraying is done, because the circumstances were just perfect...

The other interest in the rain is seeing whether the seed put out about 3 or 4 weeks ago will germinate now this time of year... the seed has just been sitting out there in dry compost(0, zero rainfall) until the first rain last week...

I haven't seen any new germination for quite a while now,,, but perhaps this perfect weather is going to provide some more activity...
Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well the rain was a bit too little, too late,,, for germination to occur on its own... The first composted seeding beds that were occassionally watered during warmer weather are off and running just fine...
The broadcast seed over 'dead lawn debris' was not up very well a couple of weeks ago,,,but I'm going down there today again for some more cleanup, and will check on the progress then...

As it is, I would have to say that the most reliable seeding was the compost with a good soaking to start off with, then occassional waterings thereafter...

A close second would be what came in last Spring from a Dormant Seeding...

The distant 3rd may be the broadcasting over the dried clippings lawn and No Preparation... Although the seed did diappear under the lawn debris after first watering, the seed didn't germinate...

My guess is that the "Dead Grasses" were not dead and the existing plants inhibited the establishment on any kind of seeding, as no weeds had sprung up either... It will be interestting to see what has happened with this lawn after 2 weeks...
Old 10-31-2012, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well I did finally made it down to the vacated summer home neighborhood, that I seeded in September... In this location, I broadcast seed into the "dead grass" debris of the burnt out terrace,,, and in other spots, where the turf was ripped up, I also covered the seed with compost...

These areas were watered with hoses on an irregular schedule, becuz they were done when I was in the neighborhood doing other things, only... Then the irrigation was shut off for the winter, but that is about when the October drought was broken, so all is well in the moisture department...

Anyways, the compost covered areas did fine with the sprinklers, from the beginning,,, no question,,, but no activity with the broadcast seed when I last looked, a couple of weeks ago...

Now we are in the present, Halloween Day, and when I went through with the leaf blower I could see that the entire terrace was filled in as though it was never stressed... so either the "dead" grass came back to life, finally,,, or the seed germinated in the areas that were actually dead... it looked like a little of both...
Old 10-31-2012, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

drought seed

Gosh, you get up early, Ax; was it even light out when you wrote?
My experience is the last four weeks is that A drought-killed area which was seeded with triple rake-in was not as good as an area overseeded with a triple seeding rate. There was an initial delay due to dryness as the area was not irrigated, but when rains became more frequent, this area filled in nicely--plus the old grass clumps got bigger.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Gosh, you get up early, Ax; was it even light out when you wrote?
My experience is the last four weeks is that A drought-killed area which was seeded with triple rake-in was not as good as an area overseeded with a triple seeding rate. There was an initial delay due to dryness as the area was not irrigated, but when rains became more frequent, this area filled in nicely--plus the old grass clumps got bigger.
So when you seeded heavily,,, without preparation,,, you got better results than seeding normally with preparation...

(I'm insomniac and when I can no longer sleep, I either lie there awake or get up and make coffee... this morning coffee was on around 3:30 AM...)