Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2012, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Zero Turn Solution - Kubota V's Husler V's John Deere

Greetings all, I am hoping you lot might be able to sway me one way or the other with by purchasing decision.

We have moved onto 10acres which is mostly horse paddocks, a mix of flat ground and gentle slops around 20-25degrees. Generally good ground, but the occasional root, rock and fallen branches. Also lots of tress to mow around.

The horses do a great job maintaining and I reckon i'll spend around 50hrs a year mowing it. (9 months of the year its mowing the tops of the weeds off, the other 3 months when it rains, the grass does thicken up)

I have been using a Husky 2042 which I hate and is a totally under powered and takes forever to mow. (which it does not to well!) I have decided on a zero turn and the budget is around $10-12K AUD. If there is a root or stump to hit - I seem to find it, so my mower needs a thick skin! LOL

I have narrowed it down to 2 mowers. A Hustler Heavy Duty Super Track, or KUBOTA ZG227 both with decks around the 54", both around the 11k to12k mark.

Correct me if I am wrong but a 54" seems to be the sweet point from what I have read on the forums.

I like the Kubota with a deep 6" deck, and it looks super strong. Also has a shaft drive and the added bonus of a brake! which no other model seems to have. Nice strong chassis, hydralic lift deck etc. Test drive was comfy and easy to drive - but downside is they seem to sit a bit higher and be bigger all round compared to the hustler. They seem get excellent reviews in general. Its the one I am leaning towards

In comparison the Hustler is belt driven which people seem to rate as second best to a drive shaft?? they also just don't seem quite as strong or beefed up in general. (about 100kg lighter)

Any suggestions for pros and cons from those that have had them?

I have ruled out the Walker as it seems to be more orientated to nice big lawns. And in the land of Oz parts are expensive. Also looked at the John Deere range, but was put off with belt drives and the decks didn't seem like they would have a long life with me.

Any suggestions or advise welcome.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Zero Turn Solution - Kubota V's Husler V's John Deere

50 hours a year to mow. You may come out ahead to hire it done. Bush hogged or someone with a commercial mower.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I did look into that, but it does depend on our seasons, but I average 1 hour a week, maybe 1.5hrs a week in the summer. Its not mowing the entire place each week but normally rotating around - hence some paddocks may not see a mower for 7 or 8 weeks and then depending how the horses graze its only parts of the paddocks.

It would be pretty hard to have a contractor come out each week and explain all the little places that need touching up + rely on him to move in and around horses we have agisted and not leave gates open, get caught in electric fences, mower over water lines etc.

Min charge out this way for an hours rural mowing is around $70-80, thats $4000 a year. The mower will be a tax right off against the property and business so its still better to have the asset and the freedom to escape from the wife and kids on it when I need to.

I could opt for a cheaper built model - but i'll end up bending/breaking sooner than later.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where abouts are you?

Ive maintained horse agistment centres in the past. Lots of yards, not all needing done every time, gates etc etc. I did it on an hourly rate so only charged for what I did. There was a minimum though but there was always more than that.

Geting a good contractor may be better in the long run. i.e., paying someone is a tax right off as well. $10-$12k is probably a few years worth and no dramas with machine maintenance etc.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

that is good suggestions.

for the original question, i say kubota will give the longest service, with least issue. also, they are bosses in the mower department. we have 2, for sale, too bad you are so far away lol
Old 10-18-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

But we are missing the important thing - spending an hour running around on a zero turn I see it as therapy!! LOL I can escape the world, the wife and the kids and have an hour of uninterupted bliss! I think I would feel very disappointed watching a contractor.....
Old 10-18-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Understandable! Get her to do all the trimming! haa

Out of what youve mentioned, the Kubota looks a good choice but Im blown away that its under $12k. I would of expected $15k or so, but our dollar is still good so......?

I was talking to a guy yesterday who just lost a contract. Has a Hustler SZ for sale with 50hrs. He'd probably take well under $15k for it. Thats why I asked where you are.

What ever you do, make sure it has a full suspension seat. Horse yards can get very rough, especially after rain.

20-25deg slope is pretty damn severe and the best advice anyone will give you is demo each machine on your property before purchase. Make sure there is long thick grass to cut as well, like a worse case kind of thing. Opinions are like azzholes, everyones got one but at the end of the day, you need to demo each machine.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I am on the Sunshine Coast, Qld. The Kubotas have come right down - they were well above 15K 18 montsh ago. The ZG227 is $12,500 (54") and the ZG222 at 10,500K 48". I may have over estmated that slope 15 degrees is probably closer!, but most is flat. Is 2k worth the extra 6"?.....
Old 10-18-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebu View Post
Is 2k worth the extra 6"?.....
I'd say yes! 48" is a bit small for that much area and I'd bet there is more trim ability with the 54". Thats very handy with fences etc.