Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-18-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think there's a psychological factor. It doesn't take as long, and you're working with other people. It seems like it's all good, but when you get to the math, drive time, etc., well, ......... I'm not so sure. I always think about how "I" can be faster. If you're gonna do it, use one truck. I can sort of see how it would be faster, because you're only doing half the work, and you can recover on the drive to the next one, and be fresh.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
I think there's a psychological factor. It doesn't take as long, and you're working with other people. It seems like it's all good, but when you get to the math, drive time, etc., well, ......... I'm not so sure. I always think about how "I" can be faster. If you're gonna do it, use one truck. I can sort of see how it would be faster, because you're only doing half the work, and you can recover on the drive to the next one, and be fresh.
That's ridiculous. Why does he need to recover if he's not working as hard/much? It's not normal and it's unheard of to work with another company like that. What if the customer likes them better and decides to only have them from now on?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the inherit fundamental problem with this is that 1 or 2 of you will, sooner or later, feel like you're doing more work for the other fellows, than they are doing for you. This is human nature and will happen almost 100% of the time....just give it time.

One of the other problems has already been mentioned....driving 3 times as far for the same money.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, and it's great to help and be helped when the situation calls for it, but there are several very good reasons not to do this on a regular basis.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Naw... All our customers are in the same neighborhoods. That's how I met them in the first place. No more driving, well, ok... a block here or there... Mostly a few houses... I'm insured, and so are they. If it was my customer, my insurance.

Well, I've been working with the bigger companies too, using my equipment, so that is a money saver to them, and they give me an employee to ride with me. They are basically giving me the money for the property but still keeping the customer. Otherwise they would have to be paying their employees time and half or double time to keep up since they loss so much of their staff. Like I said, I've been making an extra $400-$500 a week.

If I hired someone, I have their salary, plus WC, unemployment, social security, etc... I'm not going to hire someone under the table... That is a Lawsuit waiting to happen!!!

Y'all sound REAL competitive! We help each other out here. We loan each other equipment, lend a hand when needed. I don't know... works for us here!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
Naw... All our customers are in the same neighborhoods. That's how I met them in the first place. No more driving, well, ok... a block here or there... Mostly a few houses... I'm insured, and so are they. If it was my customer, my insurance.

Well, I've been working with the bigger companies too, using my equipment, so that is a money saver to them, and they give me an employee to ride with me. They are basically giving me the money for the property but still keeping the customer. Otherwise they would have to be paying their employees time and half or double time to keep up since they loss so much of their staff. Like I said, I've been making an extra $400-$500 a week.

If I hired someone, I have their salary, plus WC, unemployment, social security, etc... I'm not going to hire someone under the table... That is a Lawsuit waiting to happen!!!

Y'all sound REAL competitive! We help each other out here. We loan each other equipment, lend a hand when needed. I don't know... works for us here!
Well, if you're making more money for the same amount of work, and you're happy with the situation, go for it. Maybe you'll prove us wrong.
Stan
Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ummm I did something similar to that. I worked for another LCO while I had my buisness but it was his yards only his equipment, his everythingso I was pretty much an employee

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 10-19-2012, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, who can argue with mo money? Once, i sort of did a partnership thing. The poster above who stated that one person will end up doing more is correct. In my case, the other guy had the better equipment, so it was good at first to get my customers done fast. After a while, decision making started to affect me. He wanted to do church freebies, drive very far for little money, and start late when he wanted to. I am so glad i kept my business separate. When it got to be too much, i told him good luck. His business folded.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

To me it sounds like a potential headache, arguement, lawsuit all wrapped into one. If you have too much work to take care of yourself but can't afford an employee maybe you should consider dumping some of the slow/under paying customers.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im the type of person I have to have things done right and are the other guys doing things the way your clients want?

Your right about wc,social security,etc..when hiring employees. Its a pita and if an employee isnt speeding you up enough and profits arent going up enough its better to stay solo. I often time each lawn. Mowing,trimming,edging,blowing and find out whats taking so long and find ways to improve.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
Im the type of person I have to have things done right and are the other guys doing things the way your clients want?

Your right about wc,social security,etc..when hiring employees. Its a pita and if an employee isnt speeding you up enough and profits arent going up enough its better to stay solo. I often time each lawn. Mowing,trimming,edging,blowing and find out whats taking so long and find ways to improve.
Posted via Mobile Device
I time each lawn myself. I'm solo so it's good to know exactly how long it takes. To my surprise I'm well over $1 a minute on all my mowing accounts on average.