Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Round Up and Liquid Detergant--Rainproof?

I am an LCO guy.

Firstly, does the soap help? Second, does it affect the RoundUps ability to become rainproof? I am worried that if I add soap and spray; in heavy morning dew or after a brief shower, it could reactivate or never become rainproof; giving it the ability to be tracked around the property. Not a pretty picture.

I am using the gallon RoundUp--Super Concentrate. I would spray the day before and mow, edge, etc. the following day.

The obvious answer is not to add soap but if it is a good addition to the RU then I will use it. If it is good to add the detergant any thoughts on how much to add? I use a Stihl BP sprayer that holds 4.5 gallons. 3oz per gal. Most often for blackberry bushes I use 4oz/gal and it works great. Is that even necessary or is it strong enough at 3oz/gal good?

This is on my yard at home; spraying KBG that has crept into some beds, stickers, the odd weed/grass in expansion joints, etc. I would hate to have dead grass from mower tracks or foot prints all over the yard.

Sorry about the wordy post, just trying to provide details.

Thoughts, ideas or opinions?

TIA,
John
Old 10-18-2012, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

stansoph

Name Brand Roundup Pro by Monsanto has a surfactant sticker (Dish Soap) in it already and is rain fast in an hour or so. However many of the cheaper generics might not. If you are using a OFF BRAND NO NAME Glyphosate it might be worth expermenting with soap as a sticker to see if you get a better response.

Where I find Dish Soap or a Sticker Spread to be of value is with Contact Herbicides Like Diquat.

To help speed up the response of Roundup, Add 1/5 pound of 21-0-0 per gallon and instead of Dish Soap try MSO. For course you can add Sycthe also for real quick knock down.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, Ric. This board is a valuable tool for me and my business. I always appreciate the knowledge the members have.

I am using the name brand Monsanto Round Up.

Could I Use full strength, dry Urea for the N? I can't remember the # 33-0-0?

I assume that the Diquat is similar to Paraquat. Didn't they spray marijuanna crops with Paraquat?

I have another question but it may be for the fert board. Is it possible to get concentrated chelated liquid iron? I like the green without the top growth, I have been spreading Moss Out for my Fe. It would be easier to spray then spead and probably a better source of iron.

Can you tell apps are not my speciality?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you are not licensed. If at your own home...surfactant in the Roundup should help to wet waxy or hairy foliage. Depends on the type of weed and if you usually experience runoff or poor wetting with the spray solution. Try it without surfactant--than add surfactant and look carefully at the difference.

I do not believe the assertion that surfactant or soap helps to increase the effectiveness or speed, if rain is expected.

Likewise I do not expect anything to "reactivate" the Roundup a few hours or days later.

And I don't think adding nitrogen helps.

Follow the directions on the surfactant container--an ounce per gallon is typical.

Iron is available as a dry product. Ferrous sulfate--BUT--it is highly staining in this form, does not always dissolve well and you lose the advantages of the chelated form of iron and other micronutrients and minerals.
I used a retail form called Bonide Iron. It stained some plants black--especially dead leaf tissue, when used at a high rate (8 ounces per thousand sqft). Darkened the green color slightly.
http://www.bonide.com/products/produ...id=920&sku=920
Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

JDL carries a liquid 12-0-0 12%Fe (I think) pretty cheap.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Sounds like you are not licensed. If at your own home...surfactant in the Roundup should help to wet waxy or hairy foliage. Depends on the type of weed and if you usually experience runoff or poor wetting with the spray solution. Try it without surfactant--than add surfactant and look carefully at the difference.

I do not believe the assertion that surfactant or soap helps to increase the effectiveness or speed, if rain is expected.

Likewise I do not expect anything to "reactivate" the Roundup a few hours or days later.

And I don't think adding nitrogen helps.

Follow the directions on the surfactant container--an ounce per gallon is typical.

Iron is available as a dry product. Ferrous sulfate--BUT--it is highly staining in this form, does not always dissolve well and you lose the advantages of the chelated form of iron and other micronutrients and minerals.
I used a retail form called Bonide Iron. It stained some plants black--especially dead leaf tissue, when used at a high rate (8 ounces per thousand sqft). Darkened the green color slightly.
http://www.bonide.com/products/produ...id=920&sku=920

Riggles

I don't normally disagree with you but You started it by saying Nitrogen doesn't increase Roundup up take and Response time. Sorry you are wrong. I keep Trailer with a 65 Gallon tank mix of Roundup 24/7 with Nitrogen because I spray that much Glyphosate. I sub the work from a sod company. Now I am Talking Warm season Plants etc but in one week time I have a very visible Response. One week is my normal timing for touch up of missed spots or weed that are Roundup resistant etc. With out Nitrogen I don't get that qiuck of a response. Adding N is a lot more cost effective than using Roundup quick or scythe. etc.

As Far as using Bonide HOMEOWNER Products, Ferrous Sulfate is sold in 50 lb bags by that other Big Homeowner supply company Called Lesco John Deere Landscapes.

stansoph

Old School Chemistry for Lawns was a 50 lb bag each of Ammonium Sulfate 21-0-0 and Ferrous Sulfate per acre. At only 10.5 pounds of actual guaranteed Nitrogen per 50 pound the N in 21-0-0 is only a 1/4 pound per thousand and doesn't create excessive top Growth. Yes It stains Like the Devil but gives the Darkest Green possible. One reason we don't use it today is equipment or Pump damage from the abrasion of the Ferrous Sulfate.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Tags
roundup questions