Register free!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Best set-up for seeding

I do some but mostly sub it or rent stuff. Not a big enough tractor with enough ponies.

Serisouly looking into this for next year. What is the latest and greatest, best, etc route to look at for getting equipment for seeding.

I see this tiller/seed bed levers, one pass. I see tillers, bush hogs, lands scapers, level, then broad cast seed then drill seed iwth pto driver seeders to drop the rear 3 pt and let the see go in as you travel sort of seeder. Some guys carry around box scrapers. Others I have seen use exclusively tracked bobcats machines and they do it all with 2-3 attachments.

What do you all use.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is fine to use heavy machinery to bring in good topsoil/compost and level it,,, but to call it finished and ready to seed is a pet-peeve of mine...

What does the bucket of a skidster do to good clay/sand loam topsoil???

The only way I'll do a new lawn is to till and rake it out by hand seeding as I go... skidsters leave one of the worst possible scenarios for healthy turf to establish, imaginable...

If it is not compacted and little sandy then running over with a slit-seeder should be adequate...