Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
hmmmm i hope to find some fine fescue sod then for the shady area! it does some more light towards the center of the lawn, but towards the edge, i dont think it gets much at all.
general question for fertilization- do you apply fert to sod?
for new seeding when do you apply fert? before or after?
thanks so much i really appreciate it
The major trick to forestlawns(shade) is to NOT fert or irr. too much... if you try to do high maintenance as suggestted by the Pros, then you'll end up with the same attitude about shade as the Pros, "It can't be done"...

how many times have you heard that it is impossible to grow turf in the shade???

anyways the answer to the question about fert is a likely, No... most soils have adequate fertility for shade lawns, at least for now... I'd check it after a couple of mowings in the Spring then leave it alone until the Fall... If you think about getting a 'brite green' the first year you'll likely kill it, depending on the intensity of the shade...
Vinca minor, groundcover is about the pleasantest 'brite green' there is and will do excellently in the shade... I prefer it to vinca major...