Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cleaning up leaves in the wind.

We got 50 km/h winds today and I am backed up with leaf cleanups. Should I get going on them today despite the wind or take the day off? What would you guys do?

I blow to piles, then vacuum, then mow to catch last few stragglers.

BTW leaves are not all down yet so the wind will littler lawn before I even drive away.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I usually go for it unless it's a final cleanup on a really small lawn. In that case it can be frustrating. If you run the leaves over with the mower once first they have less surface area and are less likely to run away on you.

I have a few large properties that I actually wait to do until we have a windy day....it can actually help a lot as long as the wind is generally from the same direction rather than gusting from different directions. As long as you can work with the wind rather than against it, I say go for it.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like for my lawns to look good for at least a few hours before they get covered again. If the wind is too high, I don't even bother, I just save for another day, but I would also look at the projected winds and then decide whether to put off or not. If you got these kinds of winds for a week, then I would probably go ahead and do the best I could.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Until the season is over it does no good to look at the mess left after you are done. For your own sanity, look only at the amount of debris you've removed. I say work with the wind and do it. It's that much less you'll have to do later. It gives the grass a chance to breath and helps prevent mold issues. It allows them sunlight to continue to build root stores of energy to make it through winter.

"Adapt" said the millstone to the barley.

You could always just shred them with the mower and return the goodness to the soil. The leaf chips will migrate less than whole leaf, as well. Don't stress about it until final clean up.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the winds are blowing like they were here yesterday at 30-40 MPH, it is fruitless to do a cleanup, considering trees like the elm, hickory and the dogwoods. The leaves will be down as soon as you make a couple of passes.
Now, if the lawns are already covered with 2-3 inches of leaves and you can make a coveted dent in it...........then do it, otherwise don't think that the customer will not take notice.
Commercial properties that we do on monthly payments are done no matter what....!! Residential lawns is a different ball game.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hadn't mowed a couple of properties for a couple of weeks, and had to get them done yesterday. Had high winds (10-30 mph), but getting the properties done was more important than having leaves left on the cut grass.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

we dealt with it all day yesterday, gusts up to 40-50mph.... Nothing like getting smacked in the back of the head with a 4' limb falling out of an oak. Most of our clients understand that it's a work in progress and continues sometimes until late Nov. However, like with everything else there are a few who expect you to pick them off the trees and catch them as they fall.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If the winds are blowing over 20 mph it's not worth it - unless were behind on the cleanup list.
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
08' Haulmax 24' Enclosed Trailer
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
12' BOSS 9.2 V-XT plow+Wings
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator
Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stay home, nothing more aggravating than looking back at a yard as your leaving it and you can't even tell you had been there.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only with the OK from the owner. Wind will blow some day after you do your clean up anyway. It takes a understanding that unless your doing the last clean up of the year and ALL leaves are on the ground and the neighbors have the leaves all picked up you are going to have some blow in regardless.

On a super windy day best start down wind and work your way into the wind so as long as your there you picking then up before they blow back on what you have completed. Very frustrating I rather stay home, but there are times one needs to keep up with the thick piles.