The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 205mx View Post
If I only had a 21" I wouldn't
Pull my trailer.

I run a diesel truck that doesn't get any better or worse milage with or without a trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Seriously.

Some people here couldn't grasp why I wouldn't pull my trailer with me every day.
Pulling a trailer when you don't need to is ret@rded. I pull my trailer 2-3 days a week and the rest of the time it's this...

(Click image - it's a video showing how easy it is to load up)

(Yes, I use a ratchet strap across the mower to secure it, but I was trying to keep the video brief, so I didn't film that)

The only days I pull the trailer are the days I use my Ferris...

I think there are people who believe that if you aren't pulling a 16' trailer filled with ZTRs, you're a hack. There are some really big outfits around here that send crews into the city with a pickup and two push mowers in the bed. I guess they are hacks too.

Do what works for YOU.

Last edited by OakNut; 10-14-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

OakNut I like your company decal on your Ferris that's classy man.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
OakNut I like your company decal on your Ferris that's classy man.
Nah, I'm not classy, I'm a hack - just look at that setup!

Hehe

Thanks for the compliment!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

LOL..two thumbs up for us "hacks".. Hehe.

Although I didnt drop my trailer, I did unload my rider thats only being used on one lawn. Ive been towing it around for 4 months now, and only mowed the yard with the rider three times. Its been so dry here in west texas over the summer that it was a tough season for us lawn care guys. We cant get the weekly or bi weekly rates, when there is no grass growing.

The rider was mainly ballast in the trailer...so...
So, I just unloaded it, and am carrying the 21's for now, because thats all I need. I paid 200 bucks for a gravely ZTR that needs about 300 bucks in parts, so maybe I'll be sporting that around in the spring,, and can put it to good use.

I have a chevy avalanche, which is great for locking up small gear under the panels, but the larger stuff stays on the trailer.

My residential mower crapped out after two years of hard service, so i picked up a Honda HRC 216 this weekend to add some BLING to the trailer...LOL.

Last edited by rbljack; 10-14-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

What a response...thanks everyone.

MPG is around 11 mpg with trailer. I'm pulling it with a Nissan Titan which has a 5.6 liter engine. I'm not sure if our mpg's suffer with any special California Emissions standards. Gas per gallon is around $4.60 in my area. It's supposed to be coming down as our special California Summer blend gas is on its way out.

I use a larger mower at 1 property and luckily it belongs to the homeowner, so it stays at the property.

I do keep most of my equipment with me just in case it is needed. I have lots of houses that are full maintenance with shrubs etc. I keep tool boxes with me for any sprinkler repairs.

The equipment can fit into the bed of the truck but after a few years I got tired of loading and unloading daily. Nice just backing up to the trailer (which is parked in the garage) and hooking up. Saves me about half an hour each day.

Here is my setup...
Attached Images

Echo Trimmer
Stihl Blower
Husqvarna and Echo Power Shears
Corona hand pruner
Lots of other odds and ends
Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

so do you plan on getting a bigger mower. if you say you have one account with a big mower that stays at the house, why not work out of the back of your truck. I know it saves time by just backing into the garage n hookin it up, but if you really hate the gas prices do your route with and without the trailer and see how much gas you save. It might be worth the half hour you say it will take to load ur truck. But then you gotta unload it too, so theres an hour. if its going to save you $20-$30 a day by not pulling your trailer, is that worth the hour to you. I save a lot of fuel and wear and tear on the truck by not pulling a trailer, and I dont have to worry about tight spots to turn around in.

It takes me about 5mins to load everything I need for the day into the back of my truck.

But like Oaknut said, whatever works for ya.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey great thread here. I've been considering this as well, especially with the new Toro 30" Turfmaster coming out soon, this could be the mower to switch me to an operation without using a trailer, we'll see. But like you said gas is expensive. Using my big V8 with a trailer compared to a 4 banger is twice as much fuel being used, that adds up quick over the summer mowing months.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Hey great thread here. I've been considering this as well, especially with the new Toro 30" Turfmaster coming out soon, this could be the mower to switch me to an operation without using a trailer, we'll see. But like you said gas is expensive. Using my big V8 with a trailer compared to a 4 banger is twice as much fuel being used, that adds up quick over the summer mowing months.
Actually I think the 30" is out I thought I read where some were saying it cut like crap?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Actually I think the 30" is out I thought I read where some were saying it cut like crap?
Your thinking of the 30" Timemaster a residential unit. The Turfmaster is a full commercial unit and isn't available yet.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg78 View Post
Your thinking of the 30" Timemaster a residential unit. The Turfmaster is a full commercial unit and isn't available yet.
OK, thanks, I wasn't sure just thought it was the same unit, I need to look into one for next season., I need another pusher.