Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hope someone can help us out as well, because all we have are unanswered questions and a whole lot of assumption. Everybody knows what they say about assumption
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipster View Post
Dude, I don't know the details of the US Lawns system -- that's why this thread was started.

But, I notice that all of you are thinking small. I guess I can't blame you, since that's all you know. But, the discounts they're talking about are on large items from large suppliers. The guys I talked to (both franchisees, but different companies) said they don't go to dealerships to buy equipment. They order their trucks directly from the National Accounts people at Ford, using their company's national account. Buying at a dealership is small time stuff and you way overpay for what you get. But, when a large company can deal with Ford for 500 trucks each year, that means something.

They probably don't get much or any discount for small local suppliers (mulch yards), but they can get large discounts from large suppliers.

It's pretty clear that you guys don't understand how large scale franchising can operate. Personally, I don't know the specifics of how US Lawns operates and I hope someone can help us out with that.

yep me small thinking is why i'm a little minnow in a large pond, should have been listening to you all along.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furness & Sons L&L View Post
I have been in the lawn care industry for about 15 or so years.
Ive recentlky been offered the oppurtunity to fly out to Orlando and learn more about being a franchise owner for Us lawns. I was hoping to get sme feedback frm some franchise owners out there. Good and bad and things that i may not be expecting. I like the Us lawns brand, vs the Grounds Guys.(and we have grounds guys here already). I understand you get alot training to go out bid propertys to make money, on the other hand how did the process go for you in the begining? What would you have done diffrent?
I am in the process of buying into a Grounds Guys Franchise and I have been in the industry for five years (irrigation, landscaping and maintenance). So far the process with the Grounds Guys has been great. Here are some tips:
1. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
2. Find out exactly what the costs are.
3. There are growing pains but, you should know that is to be expected.
The Grounds Guys LISTEN to all of my concerns and answer my questions. There are many reasons to go with a Franchise or join a Franchise. Remember that they are in busness to make money and so are you. Having said that remember also, not many Franchises fail BUT, you have to do you part to be successful. They all have a system you have to follow...Good luck

When a person with money meets a person with experience, the person with experience will get some money and the person with money will get some experience. -Harvery MacKay
Old 10-19-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your point that the franchise is in business to make money is well taken. However, they are not just in it to take a franchise fee and run. They are in it for the long haul. They know that when you are successful, they are successful. Therefore, the franchise is going to do whatever they can to help you be successful. It is not you fighting with the parent company like some people seem to think. You are both on the same team, trying to provide an excellent service to customers and get well compensated for it.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 10-20-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You want the truth, you say...

One of the biggest factors that took most of the steam out of my engine was the plain realization that no matter what I did, no matter how hard I worked, regardless of this and that and the other, it was ALWAYS (and always WILL be) the SAME money at the end of the month.

The hardest part I have had with that is accepting it.
But I do not see a franchise changing this factor, sorry.
Not at my age and I fought long and hard for many years, you know I could have took it easy and saved myself a whole lot of headache because it didn't hardly put a dent in the difference, all that hard work and all those years of slaving, wouldn't you guess I still get the same dang money.

So if that is the only reason why you want to own or buy a franchise, stick with what you have, my advice.

Last edited by herler; 10-20-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Remember even Mc Donalds franchisee's have gone broke
We have a few franchises around here and i hear that they offer buying discounts funny thing is i can usually buy stuff as cheap or cheaper than the prices I've heard they offer
their has been mention that any questions you have can be answered by someone who has already done what you're asking here's a hint try asking on a lawnmowing garden care forum or just searching the net
Old 10-20-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Franchise with me. Send $100,000 cash. Forget the 3% of your yearly gross, and the $275 a month advertising fee.

First franchise advice, you don't hire a Office Manager when you need to hire a Head Bookkeeper. You still save by not hiring a full time accountant, and get rid of a person that you hired and placed out of title and incompetent to handle the duties that you needed to be done.

you have it all figured out.. you must be on track to break a 100 million this year?
Old 10-20-2012, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

But I would still like to hear from the OP as to why US Lawns was better.[/QUOTE]

I thought this thread was dead, and I only get on here when I have free time.
I Spoke to Grounds Guys, I also have a buddy that signed up with grounds guys last year here in my area. From the start I didnt like what they had to offer. Its that simple.

I started my business 15 years ago, I looked at US Lawns then to help jump start my business. 15 years down the road, I was still interested. I simply could not afford it 15 years ago.

Talking to US Lawns, going out to Orlando seeing what they have to offer, I have to be honest its a win win. The knowledge they have about the business, the tools, resources, discounts, the people, the business model, experience....... I really liked what they are offering.

Bang for your buck. Advertising covers ALOT!!
3% ok so Your grossing 10-20k a month on your own after 10 years, how long will it take you to actually double that, if you even can? If your not able to add that 2nd or 3rd crew on your own, pay for it while your not making a profit, get the work, keep the work, how do you expect to double your income without changing how you do things? Triple it. whatever your goals are.
If your happy making what you make right now then franchising is not for you, very simple, not everyone can walk in and get a franchise. You might think you can but I will tell you no, its not gonna happen for everyone.

If you want to grow your business in a proven business model, get out of your truck, make a retirement/savings for yourself and have something that is sellable after 20-30 years( more so than what you/I have right now) Consider a franchise, or consult/pay larger firm(s) to help you grow. US Lawns has already done the market research, they know what works best not just ok or good.

I was a 2 truck operation for years, getting over the hump, getting out of the truck, was always so close, and for awhile it happens, but then something goes wrong and your needed in the field and before long your back to doing what you do best, manual labor. Why not sell work, be a manager, make that what you do best, If you just need to do manual labor, do your own yard on the weekend.....

Ive thought long and hard about doing this, its a done deal, and im not looking back. I have everything already paid for to support another crew, Im ready to grow. Im not looking to own the largest company in my area, I want have peace of mind, You dont send a check and they send you a secret list with propertys on it, you still have to work, its just a diffrent way to do it. And at the end of the day your still the face of the business, you make it work or fail not US Lawns. You still need to go get the work.....In the end Its not easy to say hey I could use some insight, I need to make some changes, i need help growing, .....not saying its the only option, but its my choice. And I will admit im on auto pilot, the phone rings, I do the estimate, we win 70%, we do the work, we loose one or two here and there, we gain 4 or 5......residential, commercial is a tough nut to crack, I want a challenge, I want to recharge the battery for another 15 years and see what happens.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furness & Sons L&L View Post

But I would still like to hear from the OP as to why US Lawns was better.
Bang for your buck. Advertising covers ALOT!!
I was a 2 truck operation for years, getting over the hump, getting out of the truck, was always so close, and for awhile it happens, but then something goes wrong and your needed in the field and before long your back to doing what you do best, manual labor. Why not sell work, be a manager, make that what you do best, If you just need to do manual labor, do your own yard on the weekend.....

[/QUOTE]

Tired of your business not growing fast enough?

That $100,000 spent on a franchise spent on advertising will get any business a lot of customers. Then you don't have to pay 3% of your gross every year.