Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2012, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

2.1gpm 8amp draw & Battery time

How long do you think a lawn and garden battery will run a 2.1gpm with 8 amp draw?
I cut off all the wire on my PG Ultra and added a larger pump running straight off of a battery. I also replaced the size 3 flood nozzels to the size 5 nozzles and this thing is spraying great at .5 gallon per K. I am just hoping the battery will last several hours.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Should be no problem. I have been running my Z-Max most of the year with a bad stator that doesn't charge so I have to charge the battery every evening for an hour or so. I also have two spare charged batteries in the trailer but I have the 4gpm pump and can maintain pressure for a few hours.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's a lawn and garden battery? That tells me nothing. The AH rating on it will give you the info you need. For an example, if it's capacity is 8AH it will run something that draws 1 amp for 8 hours, 4 amps for 4 hours and 8 amps for 1 hour. Get it?
Old 10-19-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How big is the battery? My lawn tractor battery has a capacity of 145 CCA (cold cranking amps) and 180 CA. It does not list the ampere hours of capacity. Wrong type of battery--you want a deep cycle battery, not a starting battery.
Ampere hours should be about 12 percent of the CCA.
Dawg, sounds like you have about 2 hours of power.

If your charging system is putting out 14.5 volts, or close to that, you might as well connect the yellow wire that comes out of the voltage regulator to the battery, and let it charge on the run--you could keep the pump going a lot longer.

Naturally, solder the connections, and have as few connections as possible. Cover any wire connection points with silicone sealer or hot glue--water tight. Run the wire around the back so you keep the wire away from the corrosive effects of fertilizer and moisture.

For convenience when charging the battery, connect a wire to the positive terminal and tie it down at a convenient point that is easy to reach with the red charger clamp. Cover it with an insulating cover until you need it. The negative terminal of the charger goes to any part of the stainless steel as a ground.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a delavan fat boy 60 psi at 4 gal a min for my Bush tank on a deep cell marine battery and it lasted 2 days of spraying. Which pumped out 350 gals. Then I set it up to a solar trickle charger, it never brought it to a full charge but it never died. I have it hooked directly to my trucks electrical with inlind fuses now and it stays charged all day. You can wire that from your trailer electric and while you drive you recharge your battery.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dawg

Those Batteries have more life than you might realize.

Ric's Ride the 20 yr old rebuild Toro workmate that I posted a Picture of in the Bifen XTS thread, has a bad generator. To repair it means pulling the 20 hp Engine out and removing the fly wheel. $ 40 part but $ 400 labor.

I am recharging the 325 cranking amp battery about every 3 days when it is in heavy daily use. Besides turning the starter motor multiply times each day it also powers the Solenoid for the sprayer.

In Edit: I have the $ 29.00 solar battery charger on my Aquatic Spray boat. But that is a Full size Marine deep cycle battery. It powers both the Trolling motors and the 2.1 GPM Shurfo pump. Yes two trolling motors. One in the front to maneuver close to the bank and a second in the back for loading on to the trailer.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Last edited by Ric; 10-20-2012 at 01:20 PM.