Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

What do I do with all the leaves on my freshly overseeded lawn?

I had a lawn service core aerate and overseed my lawn. They didn't tell me when they were coming out and overseeded over the top of a thick cover of fallen leaves. There are also still a lot of leaves left on the trees that will be coming down soon. I'm not sure what to do now.

Do I just leave it and hope the seeds get blown under the leaves? Will they get enough light through all the leaves? Will leaving the leaves there affect the health of my existing grass?

Do I rake up the leaves and hope that I don't take many of the seeds with? Do I keep raking up leaves when more fall?

Do I use a leaf blower to pile up the leaves and then bag them?

Do I mulch the leaves with my mower (as I had planned) and hope it doesn't damage the seeds? Do I keep mowing/mulching once the seedlings start growing?
Old 10-20-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They over seeded over a leaf covered lawn? How does that work?
As for new leaves you blow them off
Old 10-20-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes. That's what they did. I don't know how it works. I wasn't here when they did it.

If I use a blower, won't it blow the seeds off of any bare areas. Those are the places I most wanted reseeded.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teovall View Post
Yes. That's what they did. I don't know how it works. I wasn't here when they did it.

If I use a blower, won't it blow the seeds off of any bare areas. Those are the places I most wanted reseeded.
Did you pay them?

I would think you could feather the trigger on the blower to roll the leaves out of the area. The seed should fall to the ground. Nothing like having to go back and correct a job you paid someone to do.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

No idea where you are from, but grass seed gets into the soil the same everywhere... water everything in good and mulch mow the way you planned... a good cover of leaf mulch, when done correctly, does the same thing that shredded straw does...
To ensure the best advantage, add more seed to thin areas when the ground freezes, before the first snow...

Next year get the bare areas seeded and growing b4 the leaves come down, then your aeration guys can come when they want, if needed...
Old 10-21-2012, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For you guys that do overseeding, Is this normal overseeding practice? Is it to much work to let clients know a date a few days in advance, so they can clean leaves the day before or that morning? Just asking because I experienced this yesterday with a client. Being part time I mow the property on Saturdays & client called yesterday morning (Sat) & said Scotts aerated & seeded Friday. Asked me to skip them this week. I know the backyard is covered in leaves at this property.

Teovall, call the company that did the work & ask if you mark the leaf covered areas, can they swing by & re-seed them areas. Ask for date & maybe time frame (morning/afternoon/evening) so you can schedule leaf clean up prior to them coming, so there is not a bed of leaf cover like they seeded on the first time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I pre-paid. They supposedly have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I'm going to call them and see what they say.

I live in Minnesota.

Will mulch mowing damage the seeds?

Nearly the entire yard is covered in leaves. If they redo it, they'll have to redo everything.

If they do redo it and I mulch mow first, will the mulched leaves get in the way of the seeds getting down to the dirt? Would I be better off bagging the leaves?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I called the company up. They had called two days ahead of time and left a voice mail but still had the number of the previous owner of the house. On the card that I ordered the fall services from, I had crossed out the wrong number and written the correct one but they didn't update it in their system.

They're going to come out and redo it and call me ahead of time.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You did the right thing asking here, then calling them, they they are doing the right thing coming back out to do it again. It's a very simple and fast process for them, it is worth it to them to keep your business so kudos to them.

The obvious issue with the leaves is that you want a uniform distribution of the overseeded seeds. And the leaves throws in a variable there that pretty much guarantees that not happening. A big pile of leaves has seed on top of it, wind and whatever else may blow them elsewhere and beneath you have no seeds.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Hose down the leafs so the seeds fall from them into the ground.

This is just an opinion, but I would not remove the leafs for a couple of weeks until most of the ones on the trees would be on the ground. That way, the seeds would have time to grow a bit and would not be blown away.

Then blow the hole thing out of your yard with a blower.