Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2012, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
They both will fix common carbon build up drive ability problems which could easily be a miss-fire or a weak/dead cylinder at idle. Carbon build up is one of the biggest causes of drive ability complaints. It's a lot cheaper to run some cleaner through the system then to rip the engine apart prematurely only to find carbon caked on the valves. I've had customers come in complaining of engine noise. I check it out and it's knocking. I investigate and find that carbon is so thick in the combustion chamber that a piece broke off and got stuck between the head and piston. Some BG44K in the hole and the noise was gone. Many other techs would have sold them a engine.
Well maybe you can help me with my Mustang. It doesn't idle nice and smooth. The idle is consistent and having EFI it hangs up a sec at 1,000 rpm before it settles down just like it's supposed to. It's just that the idle is a little rough. I have the timing set about 5° advanced over the stock setting.

Here's a vid of it.

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=9250BCam.mp4

Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS LLC View Post
I don't entirely disagree with you, but when your customer came in with a complaint you investigated further to find the problem. You didn't send him out with bad advice.

I do disagree with you saying that premium gas will fix carbon build up. True it will cause less carbon to build up, but it won't reduce the amount of carbon that has already built up.

If the tech truly believed that it was a carbon build up issue the then he could have ran a true fuel system cleaner through the engine while it was there, rather than telling the customer to use seafoam.

Furthermore the tech could have used both a compression tester and/or leak down tester to catch this problem before it got worse and save the customer the trouble of being stuck with a truck with extreme drive-ability issues.

You seem to be an intelligent guy. Can you honestly say that if a truck had come in with a similar issue, you would have been comfortable telling the customer "go buy some seafoam and put premium gas in it and it should be fine"??? I sure hope not, which comes back to my point: I'd recommend not going to the shop you originally had it checked out at.
I'm not going to have a pissing match. You win.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Well maybe you can help me with my Mustang. It doesn't idle nice and smooth. The idle is consistent and having EFI it hangs up a sec at 1,000 rpm before it settles down just like it's supposed to. It's just that the idle is a little rough. I have the timing set about 5° advanced over the stock setting.

Here's a vid of it.

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=9250BCam.mp4
http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...s/viewall.html

After driving fords since the 70's And some all over the NA continent I came to one silly conclusion.

It's always something to do with altitude timing and sensors.
I've yanked sensors off of 5.0 TBirds And an 86 stang. Going up the big horn
it'd run at idle like it'd found a new engine from the back of the weekly UPS truck delivery man.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't can't add or take away any input that was already said as I don't know enough to give a solid answer..But What I do know is your 'survival' of one of the worst illness known to Humanity is worth giving you a congrats on- I Pray Casey your health continues on the Path it is right now for the rest of your life. Everything else is void and really not important if your health is failing- The prioritys change in an instant. But your sailing good now and I hope you get that old Girl running like it should. Gene